Software
Houzz Logo Print
evan_cabell

Need help filling empty wall space around TV etc!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone!

I just moved into a new home and am having some major design dilemmas on how to make proper use of the massive amounts of empty wall space I have. I go for very clean lines and contemporary look and feel, which you can probably gather from the photos but in terms of the area around the sides of the TV / above the TV and on the left hand wall, I'm at a loss for how to really properly and cleanly fill out that empty space!

Also it is worth noting that we have a 7 piece white leather sectional coming in soon to replace the black sofa. Everything is subject to change if you have a great idea please let me know :)



This is the empty space I was talking about that I don't know what to do with :(


Let there be light haha! :D


Photo from the front and center, the desk and monitor are no longer there and were replaced by the table and lamp.



Another question for another area, on the right hand side, there's a long window, with some space between the top of the window and the ceiling. You can see that area in this photo before I put anything inside:


Point A, I was thinking about putting a small bookshelf or a narrow console table with a lamp or some books / greenery on it?

Point B, I was thinking about two small square framed photos lined up vertically?

Point C, I was thinking about running three large-ish square contemporary canvases running horizontally above the windows, but I don't know if that would be too much.

Opinions?

I'm just trying to figure out what I could add to the space and where to put any accent pieces of furniture / paintings to really bring this space together and turn it from a room with furniture, to a room of solidarity.


Any ideas are greatly appreciated!


Kind regards,

Comments (23)

  • 8 years ago

    You definitely don't want to fill all of the empty wall space. Keeping it clean and uncluttered will further carry out the contemporary feel you're after. I might add one large-ish canvas painting or framed print over the console table where the lamp is (and consider ditching the lamp or moving it to the end of the table nearest the TV wall). I wouldn't add anything to the TV wall.

    Evan Cabell thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Simple white panels on the windows would soft the look to start. But I think it would be reasonable to wait until you get your new furniture and post then.

    Evan Cabell thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    @IdeaClaire you're right about the TV wall for sure, I've been battling with myself over whether or not anything should go on that wall and I think it would make it look too cluttered like you said. Also definitely going to get a large canvas to go in between the two windows on the left hand wall.

    This brings up another question, on the right hand side, there's a long window, with some space between the top of the window and the ceiling. You can see that area in this photo before I put anything inside.

    Point A, I was thinking about putting a small bookshelf or a narrow console table with a lamp or some books / greenery on it?

    Point B, I was thinking about two small square framed photos lined up vertically?

    Point C, I was thinking about running three large-ish square contemporary canvases running horizontally above the windows, but I don't know if that would be too much.

    Opinions?

  • 8 years ago

    @Pam P. what do you mean white panels on the windows, forgive me for not having understanding what that is!

  • 8 years ago

    Instead of trying to fill the walls, embrace the minimalist look and several low Ikea Besta stands to fill that wall. You will gain clutterless storage and achieve a clean look. We have a small, urban apartment, and these units have worked wonderfully.

    Evan Cabell thanked Sammie J
  • 8 years ago

    Sammie J do you mean mount the Ikea besta stand to the wall above the TV?

  • 8 years ago

    I'd say no to Points A, B, and C. The more you add, the more you'll detract from clean and contemporary. Sammie's Ikea Besta suggestion is a good one. You might consider wall-mounted cabinets as well.

    Evan Cabell thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Drapes. A drape -- panel -- on each side of the window. You would not have to have them wide enough to close, but they would fill in the space between the windows and soften the look. The wall between the two sets of windows is an example of where you'd hang a panel on each side. No to anything above the windows, in fact, that is were your drapery rods would go.

    This will give you an idea of what I mean. Note the panels are hung just below the ceiling.

  • 8 years ago

    @IdaClaire so you would say replace the current floor standing cabinet with a mounted one? I've been wanting to do that for awhile now actually.

  • 8 years ago

    What do you all think about painting one of the living room walls an accent color then? Or leaving it all off-white.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Wall-mounted consoles under the TV and on the wall opposite the large windows would really create a streamlined look. In the space between the two windows where you were considering Points A-C, you might think about one very tall potted plant.

    I would not do an accent wall. It will just create a visual distraction. Think clean, crisp, simple.

    Evan Cabell thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    @IdaClaire yeah matching wall mounted consoles on white for the TV / wall would look great now that I think about it! Any particular models you're thinking, which is the one you linked?

  • 8 years ago


    Evan we have a similar large TV wall. We installed floating Ikea cabinets. Originally was planning to add art work, etc. around and above the TV but over time I've decided that I like the clean look. The Ikea cabinets are super functional and inexpensive too.

    Evan Cabell thanked Kim
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm not familiar enough with Ikea products to make a suggestion (the one linked I just found in a Google search, but it may be the Besta), but maybe Kim can help. Her setup looks fabulous.

  • 8 years ago

    @Kim that looks great, thank you for the advice, I'd just be unsure of where I would put my receiver for my sound system since those look pretty shallow! @IdaClaire this is a very subjective question, but what type (family of tree etc) of tall plant would you consider putting in the space we were talking about?

  • 8 years ago

    Well, I was going to suggest the ubiquitous fiddle leaf fern, but looks like you have a cat, and they are toxic to cats. You might Google plants that are non-toxic to cats and see if anything grabs your interest. I think some palms may be ok with cats (and they can grow fairly large), or you might look for a contemporary plant stand and just sit a smaller plant on it -- maybe a giant tropical bromeliad or something along those lines. That said, if your cat is prone to pester plants, it's probably not a good idea to include one in your décor. (Definitely don't put a fake plant in this pretty space.)

  • 8 years ago

    Book shelfs, art work, and a water fountain.

  • 8 years ago

    @IdaClaire haha right as you said that I caught myself looking at fake plants haha! I suppose even the most expensive of fake plants is going to still look pretty cheap and make the whole space look cheap! Thanks for the advice!

  • 8 years ago

    Would you have the floating console that goes on the left wall extend underneath the window sills or just in the open area?

  • 8 years ago

    Just in the open space between the windows. If you try to float it under the windowsills, it'll be too low.

    Evan Cabell thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Any thoughts on floating shelving / floating cubes etc organized in abstract layouts?

  • 8 years ago

    Hmmm. Have an inspiration photo to share? The abstract layouts could work, but keep in mind that the more you deviate from the linear, the more you run the risk of creating a haphazard and cluttered look. To me, the beauty of a contemporary space like yours is in its sleek simplicity.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH