Software
Houzz Logo Print
kkfischer

Anyone have the new GE Monogram gas cooktop with brass burner tops?

8 years ago

I'm shopping cooktops and love the look of the new Monogram gas cooktop with the 5 brass burner tops. There aren't many reviews on this cooktop and I'm wondering if the brass will be a bear to keep or not.


Comments (61)

  • 8 years ago

    Good point Michelle that Dacor now owned by Samsung. I think I'd have to see the brass caps in real life, feel them, to see if they are actual solid brass. With Samsung, you never know.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Same thing with Haier owning GE/Monogram.

    Monogram changed a lot in the last decade and a half, where prior the refrigeration was made by a commercial company and the range/rangetops were made by (the original) DCS. Now it is just a different trim level in the standard Haier-GE family.

    So many of the brands are going for look over function these days.

  • 8 years ago

    Have you considered a Bosch gas cooktop?

  • 8 years ago

    I considered it until I read too many meh reviews. Plus I prefer all my appliances to match. I'll also be replacing my double oven and microwave. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on anything just yet. My husband is ready for it to be over!

  • 5 years ago

    kkfischer: Did you buy the Monogram? I am presently looking at the dual fuel and it's beautiful but I have same question. Is the main burner actually brass (not the brass rings that you can put on for looks, but actual brass-looking burner where the flames come up)? I too am worried about how this will look after using and how easy it is to clean. Thanks, Ginna

  • 4 years ago

    I echo the critique of the brass burners on the Monogram range. They always look dirty and there is no way to clean them. I love the way it cooks, but detracts from the look of the stove.

  • 4 years ago

    I did end up with Monogram. The burners are not easy to clean. I really only use 2 burners and have the pretty brass cover in a drawer. I wish stainless wasn't so easy to scratch. And be careful what you clean the stovetop with! Make sure it says it's safe for stainless appliances. There is a protective coat on it that can easily be ruined with the wrong cleaner. All in all, the stovetop has been great.

  • 4 years ago



  • 4 years ago

    When it's time, I scrub with Bar Keepers. But it never gets as pretty as when it was new.

  • 4 years ago

    I mean this is life.... Cooking, especially with gas, is going to make anything discolored. I have to disagree with hard to clean. Whether they are actual brass or not, I used brasso to clean them and it was easy and they look brand new. Also the ones that have all the brass accesories are the hottest burners. I have a monogram now (which I am obsessed with and love) but before I had a thermador with cast iron caps and even those got discolored & looked rough. I dont know why people dont understand this about gas burners.... If youre going for looks, opt for the $70,000 French La Cornue stove and dont use it or a cheap one that you will have to replace frequently

  • 4 years ago

    I used a brass cleaner and it got worse. btw, is your oven fan extremely loud? ( not the convection)

  • 4 years ago



  • 4 years ago

    This is my Monogram burner after 3 months.

  • 4 years ago

    @kkfischer
    Do you feel it scratches more easily than other cooktops you’ve had? Is the coating over the stainless? Does circular scrubbing, for example, leave circular marks? I am debating between this and a few others. Do you like it for cooking performance? Do the grates stay put? I’m so disappointed in the quality of so many things, even when you pay a lot. We have a 50 year old cooktop that’s chugging along and the stainless cleans up nicely. They don’t make them like that anymore. Thanks!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Have my Monogram gas stove and oven for a little over a year. We’ve already had to replace the igniters in the oven, plus waited for two months to get them. When i asked the repair man why the igniters went so quickly he told me that it all depends on how much you cook! 🙄

    The brass on the jets is a selling tool. The moment you cook on them they oxidize immediately. I’ve since learned that when brass heats up it changes its composition and color. Now they always look dirty. Don’t believe the video that shows you how to clean them.

    i have a ceramic stove top so cleaning that part is okay.

    BTW…we also got the dishwasher. The bottom and top grates collapse once in a while and the door hinges make grinding noises. can’t use WD40 without dismantling the door. I too am tired of poor quality, especially at this price point.

  • 3 years ago

    I use a damp microfiber cloth and wipe the front (where the knobs are) almost every evening after cooking. I try to wipe the stove top once a wk. Most of the time, just damp cloth works. Use stainless cleaner when it doesn’t. It is not hard to clean if you do it often. Just be careful putting the grates back.

  • 3 years ago

    Now when your Monogram/GE microwave latch breaks (it will) and your door won’t open, there’s a great YouTube video showing you how to fix it. I actually used a #4 machine screw instead of ordering new parts, and works great!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    For those with the Monogram stove with brass inserts, if you contact GE through their warranty portal and provide all of the required info, they might send you new brass pieces.

    I have the monogram 6 burner and they sent me all new brass caps Pretty awesome of them but agreed at this price point, maybe they should have rethought it. The metal grates get pretty unsightly due to oil spatter and hard to clean, the aluminum inserts are hard to clean and keep shiny and the ceramic liner gets really hot and bakes on grime.

    All in all, its a great stove, just hard to clean

  • 3 years ago

    I have the same stove. There is no point in replacing the brass inserts since they turn color the minute they heat up and never go back to the way they were. That is because the heat changes the composition of the metal.

  • 3 years ago

    It sounds like there are quite a few disappointed monogram owners because of the difficulty keeping the brass clean. Is there anyone that loves their new oven??. I just ordered one, was so excited, but seeing this thread makes me nervous!

  • 3 years ago

    Just ordered the 30“ yesterday. If the biggest complaint is the brass discoloring with use, then awesome. Sounds like a fantastic range.

  • 3 years ago

    My monogram professional range top was installed 4 days ago. One of the selling features for me was the brass as it is used throughout my kitchen. These cannot be brass because look at discoloration (removal of the brass color) has already occurred after using 2-3 times max per burner! One of the small discs got something on it so I cleaned it with a non scratch sponge and dawn and when it reheated again it is solid silver! The outer ring is already splotchy and hasn’t been cleaned. I am not impressed

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    That is very odd i know when i clean mine with vinegar there is a discoloration until it fully heats up and cycles through a few rounds but never looked like that. It almost looks like this is painted or anodized aluminum to look like brass. I would reach out to Monogram customer service or where you purchased this from.

  • 3 years ago

    Sorry to hear that. So disappointing.

  • 3 years ago

    I hope you will reach out to customer service..that really shouldn’t happen. I just received mine…not hooked up yet…but will be closely reading the care section of the manual after all these complaints. Hope it’s not so high maintenance:(

  • 3 years ago

    That is very odd. I’d reach out for sure. Maybe the middle little plates are just plated. Amazed it can be scrubbed off so easily. Glad the issues are aesthetic so far. Mine is getting installed in June. Can’t wait.

  • 3 years ago

    Have a call in with my appliance dealer. I am assuming these are just plated which I don’t remember ever being told that. Seriously why sell the aesthetic appeal if it doesnt last a week? Nobody wants a relatively expensive range top that looks worn out in a few days time. I would rather have all stainless than this plated stuff (I would rather it be solid brass actually)

  • 3 years ago

    I swear I was told they were solid brass! Please report back with what they say. Hope they help you fix the issue quickly.

  • 3 years ago

    Have you had any luck with monogram customer service? i just used my range for the first time last night…simply to boil a pot of water. this is what it looks like today. so disappointed.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    i’ve had my Monogram gas stove for about 1 1/2 years. Same thing happened to me. Written about this issue on this site before. the oven can be erratic. Sometimes it takes longer to heat up than others. Already had to replace parts that feed gas to the oven. The repair man said he had seen it before. ”It depends on how often you use your stove.” 🙄 Dishwasher is not great either.

  • 3 years ago

    Anyone know if the brass pieces can be removed/replaced with something else? Don't like the brass look, and wondering if the black covers fit all the burners?

  • 3 years ago

    Which model range top are you looking at?

  • 3 years ago

    Looking at the ZGU486NDTSS. 48in rangetop

  • 3 years ago

    I know you could swap the smaller middle caps with black. Or you can on mine but I don't have the same one. I don't know about the larger rings though. I would just call and ask. Or go to an appliance showroom.

  • 3 years ago

    Anyone have any luck getting GE to replace discolored burner rings? I know it will just happen again but I’m so disappointed in the discoloration. We’ve only been using it a little over a month. I tried Brasso this morning because I watched a youtube video where the GE guy said you could use that. So mad, that burner looks terrible now. Like the finish has been taken off and there’s a dull silver color underneath. This is terribly disappointing for the money I spent on this!!!

  • 3 years ago

    Yes. The larger caps have a black ring to replace the brass. You can buy them or it should have came with the stove if purchased new.

    PN WB29X39647


    This is for a ZGU366NT1SS

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Heat is always, always going to discolor the rings. This should not be a warranty item - buyers need to understand what happens when you heat brass. It oxidizes. That's what brass does.


    If it bothers you, get a can of Brasso and plan to polish your burner rings for show.

  • 3 years ago

    Completely agree Michele.


    I receieved my Monogram 30” a month ago and it’s been nothing but incredible. Didn’t realize how much I’d enjoy the ability to change the LED lights too. It looks so good. Nothing but positive things from me. It truly is a top of the line appliance.

  • 3 years ago

    My burners discolored almost immediately. Always looks dirty now. If the company knows it’s going to oxidize, then they shouldn’t use the shiny brass as a selling point.

    Can’t seem to get a good simmer going, (either too slow or too fast), oven is not always accurate. My husband and I love to cook, and i also bake. This Monogram range is such a disappointment. I’ve had much less expensive stoves with no problems!


  • 3 years ago

    Forgot to mention that the knobs move so easily, that if you brush by them you may change the oven temp by accident!🙄

  • 3 years ago

    Michelle, I did use Brasso. See above photo for what happened. I used ketchup to clean the other “brass” burner and it looks better. It didn’t clean it completely but it didn’t take the finish off like the Brasso appeared to do. These can’t be real brass IMO.

  • 2 years ago

    The “brass” on ours came off in chunks when we cleaned with Brasso as GE recommended, and left indented black chips. There is no way these are solid brass. Customer service responded that black chips are considered patina, and if I don’t like them I can purchase a set of black ones.

  • 2 years ago

    I’ve used Barkeepers friend without any issues. Those black marks would probably be removed with it.


    Almost a year with my all gas 30” range and I love it more every day. The oven may be the best oven I’ve ever used. I’m baking pizzas on a steel in it in 3 and a half minutes. Using a Combustion Inc. Predictive thermometer I can see how crazy evenly it heats too. Stove top is wonderful too, just wish it had another 21k btu burner with the triple ring. So even and hot. My copper pots sing on it.


    The LED is more fun than you’d think too!

  • 2 years ago

    Hi All. you are all experiencing the same issue Im having with the (fake) brass burners on my new 36” range. I‘ve reached out to GE but no reply yet. I’m so disappointed. i’m interested in any solution anyone found.

  • 2 years ago

    I clean mine with bar keepers friend that will make it look like new again after a lot of rubbing and effort. the second you use the burners again, the heat will cause oxidation and dull the brass. When i was shopping for my range, i loved the look of the monogram with the shiny brass and the performance reviews were great. I never saw anything about the upkeep of the brass burners and I just wasn’t quick enough to consider oxidation myself! and of course the salespeople certainly did not bring it up. that is very frustrating! so basically the only time the burners look gleaming and great in my house is when I’m cleaning for company. who’s going to scrub their burners every night. bummer!!!

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I have come to grips with the brass issue. I just clean it periodically with a soak in vinegar and scrub after.

    The aluminum rings now are my issue with not coming completely clean and scratched due to the abrasive manner in how I have to scrub them to get them clean.

    Other than that it is a great stove.

  • last year

    Ibought the monogram and it was installed jan 2025 . i hate it the first timre i used it there are brown spot on the burners and the middle burner has black spots im told they sent me a defected unit but ge. wont do any thing about it i am sooo upset with them Terrible customer service i tried scrubing but the spots wont come out Done with tha company

  • last year

    Sorry M. Gore.

    I have had this for about 2+ years now and the brass rings are no longer cleanable to a point where it resembles anything near original finish. I have just accepted that this is what it is and to only use the original brass rings as decor (yes, I have two sets), and use the black ceramic pieces that come with the stove or use the brass pieces for daily use, and not fret about the finish.


    My next stove will be all ceramic black or knowing in advance, buy a backup set as a decor element just for show.

  • last year

    I will scrub mine with bar keepers friend, which with a lot of effort gets the brass looking nicer, but of course as soon as you use the range again the oxidation occurs. So I pretty much only scrub when cleaning for guests. It’s a total bummer that the sales people don’t warn you. It just looks so nice at the store, you’re not thinking about the effect of heat on brass, doh!
    Purchasing a second set is a great idea.

  • last year

    iI was having the same issue with the brass rings and inserts. I have the solution for you. Purchase some Grade 0000 steel wool and apply a small dab of Brasso and begng to polish in circular motion: You will instentally see the brass polish up. Just ensure use Grade 0000 since its really fine and will not scratch. Cheers !!