Software
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_fonorow

Kitchen Conundrum

8 years ago

Just bought a house, with the intention of renovating the (very tiny) kitchen. I'd like for the fridge to be in a different place, so it's not the first thing you see when you walk in the front door --


However, the eat-in part of the kitchen (where we might move a fridge) has a backdoor and a window, preventing fridge placement:



I'd like to move the range to where the fridge is, add a dishwasher to the right of the sink, and remove the half-wall/cabinet outcropping to open the space up. This main floor is just a living room and the kitchen, separated by a wall. We plan to take down that wall and put in a large island, so that will give us some storage back. But where to put the fridge? More photos of the kitchen:





Obviously the appliances, cabinets, etc. will be different - these are just the MLS photos for me to obsess over before we close!

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    I will be able to take measurements and draw up a floorplan next Friday, when we have inspection!

  • 8 years ago

    many things can occur . I could see removing the small door to deck...instead French doors or patio slider....and close up small kitchen window. Then you get two walls to use for L shape: then an island works. Slider or French doors will give you the light which you aren't really getting from either small window or entry door. the point is, however , some waiting for appropriate thoughts and plans to develop is much smarter than chipping at "move fridge" or small maneuvers. You are willing to open it up.....so look at the first floor as a whole..and that includes connection with the back area [I see a deck!]. Posting the whole first floor will give you the feedback that is the most helpful.

    Amanda F. thanked herbflavor
  • 8 years ago

    @herbflavor - you're right; I am just excited about the purchase (our first home) and the possibilities for renovation. I'll post more detailed plans when I have them, and will try to stop stressing over the partial information I have in the meantime!

  • 8 years ago

    a first home is really a happy time. Get out and love your yard and so forth...it's that time of year. Having a garden [almost more than anything ]was the most fun and interesting part of having a property for me. Plantings mature with time: kitchens and walls can be torn up and redone in a short span for pretty immediate results. So think about your space inside, but really …..don't rush. Cheers.



    Amanda F. thanked herbflavor
  • 8 years ago

    Is there a doorway to somewhere--basement, pantry, garage--next to the refrigerator?

  • 8 years ago

    @bpathome-oh-my - yes! There's a basement door there (it's a split level house).

  • 8 years ago

    A counterdepth fridge?

  • 8 years ago

    Congrats on your new home! With a little more money, it will be a fun renovation....

    1. Remove the door. Seal up/drywall that space.

    2. Turn the window into a slider. (May have to add stairs or small decking to outside now...)

    3. Remove all those cabs/hanging cabs.

    4. Go all the way to the new slider with counter/cabinets. Don't try to work around that layout.

    Spend a little money now and do it right....

  • 8 years ago
    Are you planning an entire gut for your kitchen? If not simply upgrading appliances with a counter depth refrigerator will get you there.
  • 8 years ago

    Grab the Consumer.Reports.Kitchen.Planning.and.Buying.Guide.April.2018, also the August 2018 issue (Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers)

  • 8 years ago

    This is easy. You're in luck. The window opening is already framed at the height of the door, so there is no structural issue with moving the door into that opening. Piece of cake.

    You do have to have to deal with the baseboard heat, but that's it. Plus, you can put a window in the opening where the door was. Win/win.

  • 8 years ago

    A new house is very exciting and I know first-hand how difficult it is to be patient! I've also learned from experience the value of patience and professional design help. But first, celebrate! Second, be patient. Live with your kitchen a while--just from the photos this house looks like a gem and your kitchen space has tons of potential. Learn how you use the space, how you want to use it. Other commenters are exactly right: avoid little changes--they're often a waste of money in the long-run; and evaluate kitchen remodeling in the context of the entire first floor. For me, it's a matter of natural light and a flow among rooms that complements--or at least doesn't frustrate--the way I live. (You don't have to remodel your entire first floor or break the bank.) Finally, I heartily recommend finding a kitchen design professional with whom you feel compatible, who can help you clarify and prioritize your objectives, and work within your budget. I've spared myself a lot of heartache and misspent money by relying on the help of pros. Congratulations!