Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Kurz and Allison Chromolithographs

8 years ago

I have a friend who is a civil war "junkie" and at a thrift store today I found these --





In doing research on line I find that they are by Kurz and Allison. Chromolithographs. Prices on the internet range from $890 for the bottom one (unframed) to $400 for the top one (unframed and in not very good condition). Dating to the 1890s.


I am thinking that they are probably the real deal . . . because they are not pictures that would be popular for decorating such as a battle of Gettysburg or Bull Run -- that they were not Tuesday Morning China "knock offs".


But I don't know for sure and the only way I can is if I take them apart to see the paper they're printed on, etc.


The colors and the quality are far superior from most of that type of "art" one finds at places like Tuesday Morning or Home Goods as well.


I called her and she said she wanted them . . . while I was talking to her and trying to see the price an employee came up and said if I was interested he could do better. What is better? I ask -- 75% off said he. I relayed that to my friend who said "yes"!


Oh, and the price -- the two of them -- all framed cost a whopping $44


You antique rs out there -- thoughts?

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago

    Since there are a fair number of people that have collected these like your friend they have been reprinted several times. With the anti-Confederacy of the past several years people are getting rid of originals but a print specialist needs to look closely at them.

  • 8 years ago

    The original prints have the copyright and year in tiny print directly below the picture (off to one side), but above the title. I can't see the copyright on your pictures, but maybe you can spot it. Take another look at originals online. I did find reprints available online (1976 reprints). Those were still $40-$60, so you got a bargain! I hope your friend enjoys them!

  • 8 years ago

    They're in the car -- tucked in with "stuff" -- I'll look closer at them when I get home. Thanks for the info. And yes, for $44 it was a deal even if they are "new" -- but looking at the frames there is SOME age and the quality indicates that they're above the Tuesday Morning/Home Goods level of Chinese merchandise.

  • 8 years ago

    I looked and they DO have the copyright viola. So the 1976 reprints don't? With the copyright does that mean that they are the original one. They are still tucked in the car and I have no magnifying glass with me but will do that when I get home . . . but was excited about the copyright!

  • 8 years ago

    Well, after looking on eBay -- they ALL seem to have the copyright and I tried looking at them with a magnifying glass and I couldn't see any "dots". There is an insurance sticker on the back with a number (so they were part of an insurance inventory at one time -- but they still could be the $40 ones or the $600 ones). Thanks everyone for the help

  • 8 years ago

    How big are they? Originals are larger.....If you are not seeing pixils....chances are huge they are original.


















































































































    User thanked lindac92
  • 8 years ago

    I'll measure the size of the print . . . I don't see any pixels but then I looked at a Hobby Lobby bird print and I couldn't see pixels there either -- at least not with my magnifying glass. I'll measure later today.

  • 8 years ago

    Well, the mystery is solved and such a simple solution -- the 1976 prints are 18 x 24 while the original lithographs 24 x 30 -- assuming that means the print itself and not the border, these are 18 x 24 not including any border but the picture itself and the printing below. Still for $20 each and with good professional frames, they are worth far more -- just the reprint alone on eBay is selling for that (or more) without frame. And actually even though they are reprints, they are still 42 years old which isn't shabby!

  • 8 years ago

    These are a better size for hanging, and they do look great! :)

    User thanked Fori
  • 8 years ago

    With the frames and mats they are way larger than 24 x 30 -- they are big pictures!

  • 8 years ago

    But....the frames! And have you priced glass for a frame? $44? Wow!! Sorry they weren't worth more but....

    User thanked lindac92
  • 8 years ago

    I think they are cool, I hope my friend likes them. The part you see that is not matted is the 18 x 24 piece so assume when they say a print is 18 x 24 that is what they mean, correct? It has nothing to do with the rest of the paper around the part that's printed?


  • 8 years ago

    Yes.


    User thanked lindac92
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Linda -- I thought so but glad you confirmed that. I can't wait for my friend to see them (she only saw a picture and then okayed the buy).

0
Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions