Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samhain10

Some things blooming now

samhain10 - 5a
5 years ago

We've had rain today also - not much, but it has made things look pretty lush. And has softened the ground which I must prepare tomorrow for the new additions bought this week during my first ever visit to a daylily farm - what a treat!

Here's one of my present bloomers; more in the comments:

Crimson Pirate

Comments (20)

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, that didn't work - here's Crimson Pirate:

Druid's Chant

waiting out the rain with Ron Valente

More to come,

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's the same Ron Valente bloom without the visitor:

And apologies that I don't have names for all the following pics - these plants are the new acquisitions which I'll get processed eventually once they make it out of the buckets. Some are seedlings, though, that haven't been registered yet by the hybridizer. I think this one was Lincoln Andrea, named for the hybridizer's niece:

Am afraid to tempt the fates; it took forever to get that to post. Will add next in following comments.

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A few pics taken at the farm of one's I bought - don't ask the names yet! :)

Just a few more...

• growgirl
    5 years ago

Nice bunch:)

samhain10 - 5a thanked growgirl
  • shive
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like Rom Valente, with and without the visitor! Visiting a daylily farm is always such a treat. Your new additions are pretty!

Debra

samhain10 - 5a thanked shive
  • samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm pretty sure this one was the Raspberry Quasar I picked up - it's blooming in the bucket:

Morpho's Dream, maybe? The marker was hard to read:

This last pic is a daylily I saw at the Gerber Baby Food Festival in Fremont MI. I confess I filched some stamens for their pollen. If anyone recognizes it, I'd be interested. That's the last today.

Alex

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Raspberry Quasar is by Chad Bush, I believe. I always like Druid's Chant. First of the unknowns looks interesting (in comments).

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Alex , Dont think your daylily (mauve and purple ) is Morpho's Dance (there isn't one registered as Morpho's Dream that I could find.) Morpho's Dance is much more spidery with a very large pale throat /eye area. The plant you are showing looks much more like Grey Witch by Margot Reed to me .

edited to add: The last image , the pinkish /reddish one looks like it could possibly be Cherry Cheeks.

samhain10 - 5a thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • dick_in_ohio
    5 years ago

I agree - Grey Witch

samhain10 - 5a thanked dick_in_ohio
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Nice haul! Looking forward to seeing more photos of these pretties.

Sherry

samhain10 - 5a thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mantis - you are too right; I was at Chad Bush's farm. What a nice guy! He doesn't usually open for people, but I kind of twisted his arm :). About the spider, he had the devil of a time finding a marker, and it was not all that readable when he did. He doesn't have too much now of stuff that isn't his - registered or seedling, I think. I didn't really care - I want it for hybridizing anyway. I looked up Morpho's Dance and I've seen Grey Witch on here many times now - I don't think it's either; it's got more colors in it. Right now it looks muted sitting in the bucket in the greenhouse. Today I get to plant - woo hoo!!!

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

Well whatever it is it is lovely , Lucky you to add that one to your gardens. Just a thought , there is one image on NG website under Starman's Quest ....that looks similar to your second to last image . See what you think https://garden.org/plants/photo/126803/ 

Just another thought . Many of the greyish purple daylilies can change color dependent on the temps/weather/soil etc which may explain the differences shown in peoples images. That's one of the things that attract me to that particular color .

• shive
    5 years ago

I agree with signet that the last one might be Cherry Cheeks.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    5 years ago

So many pretty ones but the one with the frog is my favorite :).

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

I like the bright yellow when you find out the name.........Maryl

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And we have a winner - Cherry Cheeks it is! At least I think so, too, so I'm going to write in my notes that it was possibly the pollen parent (looks like I already have seed set on a couple of things!)

Don't know what to think about the spider. There is a Morpho's Dance, and it is a spider, and that's what Chad said he thought the marker said, so...I marked it as such with a question mark attached. We'll see what it looks like next year.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maryl - that one didn't have a name as it was one of Chad Bush's seedlings that he hasn't introduced yet, if ever. It's a big flower - absolutely gorgeous in person!

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

Very pretty, Alex. I don't have a favorite, but those dark ones always catch my eye.

kay

samhain10 - 5a thanked organic_kitten
  • nat4b
    5 years ago

You got some really pretty ones! I especially like Lincoln Andrea.

samhain10 - 5a thanked nat4b