Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Missy Gardenwhimsy

User
5 years ago

Hello,
I am Don, significant other of Missy for 35 years. I am sorry to have to bring this news. I will keep this pbase album open as long as possible and perhaps add as I go through her un published pictures.

http://www.pbase.com/missy_gardenwhimsy

Elda, (Missy) had a cancer operation in April and they only took the cancer out of her lung. The follow up cat scan showed cancer still there. Scheduled this operation for July 9 to remove top half of left lung. Have been in the hospital every day for 4 weeks with her, complication after complication. She passed Sunday Aug. 5, at noon.

Thank you all for your friendship with her.
Don

Comments (25)

• stillanntn6b
    5 years ago

Oh, Don, I am so very, very sorry.

I really enjoyed my friendship with her back in the Spike days of Gardenweb. And especially how she and I both had 'creeping black crud' on our roses and she got a sample to a plant pathologist who gave her a diagnosis. Except she tried to share it on GW and almost got banned because of one syllable in the scientific name of the pathogen. Only another gardener would understand that whenever I see that on a rose, I think of her and smile.

Ann

User thanked stillanntn6b
  • boncrow66
    5 years ago

I didn’t know your wife but her garden is beautiful and I’m so very sorry for your loss.

User thanked boncrow66
  • Rosefolly
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I remember meeting Missy at Mendocino Rose's garden back in the days when MR used to hold open gardens at her place. It was such a pleasure to meet her after years of chatting on Gardenweb.

I am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for making this post. Sometimes old friends disappear and we never know what happened.

Rosefolly

User thanked Rosefolly
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

I’m so so sorry for your loss . Thank you for taking the time to share with us . May you find comfort and peace during this time . God bless you !

User thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss! Thank you for letting us know. I didnt personally know her, but I'm sorry for all the complications leading up to your loss. Thank you for sharing some pictures of what she loved.

User thanked Alana8aSC
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Don, thank you for letting us know. I'm so very sorry. Missy's album is simply wonderful and a testament to her as a lover of roses and kitties and as a precious human being.

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Don, So sorry to hear. Thank you for posting Missy's lovely garden photos. They are absolutely beautiful. You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful wife. I will never forget these photos.

User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Don, I'm sorry for your loss. I remember Missy on the Forum, and I enjoyed seeing her pictures. Her rose collection is wonderful, and her pictures captured the special qualities of the blooms and plants.

User thanked Krista_5NY
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

We all sympathize with your loss and appreciate you letting us know. Even if we never met face to face with Missy, she was part of our virtual "family" here on GW Roses and she'll be missed. If you wanted to have a memorial rose(s) planted somewhere in her memory whenever you might have the emotional space to consider it, I know we'd be happy to chime in with work and/or support for the process.

Cynthia

User thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Don, I never knew Missy, but wish that I had. What a beautiful garden she created. You will have been through a terrible time. I hope you find solace. Trish

User thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Don, I am so , so sorry for your lost. I never knew her but I really hope you will find peace and comfort . I know this is very rough, hard times for you. Maybe the hardest . But thank you for sharing this with us and remembering her forums and informing us. This must be very rough on you. Please take care of yourself and family. Condolences to you and your family members.

Jin

User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Don—I can only echo what the others have said, and express how sorry I am to read such news. I didn’t know Missy, but can see by the photos that she was indeed a kindred spirit. Thank you so much for thinking of her friends here in such a time, and for sharing what had to be a difficult post. You and your family will be in my prayers.

User thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • JF1174 (Tampa Z9b)
    5 years ago

Don, my deepest condolences on Missy’s passing. I hope your 35 years of love and laughter help bring you peace and comfort during this very difficult time. If I can say that looking through Missy’s photos, she was an absolute garden artist. Her talents and keen eye for color are simply amazing. Her photos have inspired me to be more creative and she is an inspiration to us all. Please take care of yourself.

User thanked JF1174 (Tampa Z9b)
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    5 years ago

My condolences on the loss of your companion of so many years. Thank you for your post.

User thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    5 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your wife Don, I did not know your wife but I am sure she was loved by many, thank you for sharing this with us.

User thanked Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
  • User
    5 years ago

I want to add my condolences to you,too,Don.

User thanked User
  • Kes Z 7a E Tn
    5 years ago

Don, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for letting us know.

User thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

Don. I'm so sorry to know this -- but I thank you for letting all of us know.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words. She was a regular here in Antiques since we joined in 1998 but has not been active the last few years. We both have had physical problems but that never stopped from running circles around me, always had something to do. I am so glad there are some here that remember her.

Gary and I went to the cemetery yesterday to finalize things. His
    daughter is going on a planned trip to Hawaii and will not be back for a
    couple of weeks. We are having her cremated so a delay in the burial is
    not a problem. This gives us more time to organize the memorial and let
    people that want to come know. Looks like the end of the month and just
    after that for the memorial. Will keep all updated for dates.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gary showed me this that his daughter Nicole wrote on facebook...

Our Granddaughter wrote this and
    I asked her if I could share
    Nicole Gutzmann shared a photo — with Brandon Gutzmann and 2 others.
    August 6 at 11:05 AM ·

The world lost a special lady yesterday. Forever the nature-loving garden enthusiast, my grandma showered her love on the many plants, animals, and people in her life. She took pride in her award winning fern garden and the delicate english roses that flourished under her care. When not in the garden, she could be found in her aviary, with tiny birds alighted on her head, much to her delight. She is the only woman I have ever know to have a laugh that goes "teehee" which could often be heard in her appreciation and amazement with her pets and wildlife. The many cats she loved leisurely spent their time in her outdoor cat hotel, and of course the two house cats Thelma and Louise that she adopted after the passing of her lifelong friend Joan were very near and dear to her heart. Also a fun-spirited prankster, I'm sure she is the one to blame for my dad's vast repertoire of jokes and pranks. The only old lady I know of that would buy a happy meal, mostly for the toy, she was a young-at-heart firecracker that stood strongly by her beliefs that everyone deserves to be loved equally, and there is strength in diversity. She will be missed, and her spirit will be remembered through all of my interactions with nature. Love you Grandma Elda. "Elda? Elda?! ELDAAAAAAAAA?!?!"
    Image may contain: one or more people
    Nicole Gutzmann
    April 10, 2010

My Grandma♥

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

What a lovely tribute from Nicole. I have just recently returned to the rose forums after a long hiatus and one of the first things I noticed was the absence of Missy. I never met her but I always looked forward to her posts. I missed her fairytale garden, her beautiful photos, and especially her Joie de Vivre. I am so sorry for your loss.

User thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

An update, The funeral will be at Loma Vista Cemetery in Fullerton at 701 E Bastanchury road, CA 92835 at 10:30 am on Monday the 27th of August.

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

Her photos were an inspiration to me. I always looked forward to seeing them and I pored over her albums. I am so sorry for the loss of this very special person. I can't believe she is gone.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Best wishes, Don, on carrying on without her. We feel for you and yours.