0
Find the right pro for your project

What salvia is this?

I got several of these on clearance at a local garden center, with no tags. I am assuming they are some sort of salvia/sage. They are nice, bushy little things so far, and 20-30” high.

Anyone have any ideas as to variety, or even species? I want to find out if they are hardy in my area, and/or if I can overwinter somehow, as I really like them. thanks! :)

Salvia farinacea, a tender perennial (zone 8 and above) or an annual in colder climates.

(Just an FYI, but this plant does not overwinter reliably here in the PNW, even in very sunny and well drained soil locations, and is typically grown here as an annual as well)

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Ok! That was my first thought, but usually the ones I’ve seen have much more narrow leaves. The flower spikes definitely look like farinacea, though.

If thats what what it is, I’m happy with that. :) ‘Victoria White’ has overwintered for me, so we’ll give it a try. If it doesn’t work, I may have to get some seed for next year! I really like them.

• rob333 (zone 6b/7a)

I agree S. farinacea. Possibly 'Blue Bedder'.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Salvia farenacea is a great plant here in Z8a-8b Central Texas. It dies to the roots and comes back to 3 ' every year. Great drought resistant plant. There are many varieties of it. I prefer the species more than the hybrids. It overwinters well here in Central Texas. I have three different natural varieties of it here. Some a light blue, some a dark blue, some bi colored dark and white. Also I have the white S. farenacia "Augusta Duelberg' that was found at an old grave site in Texas.

Many that are sold as bedding plants are not that good at coming back the next year. I stay clear of them. Mostly , I have collected them from the wild.

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Update, in case the info is useful to someone else sometime:

This is a hybrid salvia, s. farinacea x s. longispicata, most likely ‘Rockin’ Playing the Blues’. Mystic Spires is another such cross.

I highly recommend this beautiful plant.