Software
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

More August Roses

Perhaps I shouldn't say more, just the usual gallery of suspects. I'm sorry, I just can't seem to resist when anything in the garden looks halfway decent.


Continued below (as usual).....

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    Gruss an Aachen



    Baronne Henriette de Snoy


    Rosette Delizy


    Everything is so overgrown, time to bring out the secateurs


    Marie Pavie


    Duchesse de Brabant



    Le Vesuve

  • 8 years ago

    Wild Edric, Duchesse de Brabant and Aloha


    Potter and Moore and SdlM


    A Salvia blooming in solitary confinement


    Marie Pavie again


    Wild Edric again


    Baronne Henriette de Snoy again


  • 8 years ago

    The blue salvia is a lovely accompaniment for the pink roses, Ingrid. I used to grow salvia, should plant it again... these bud and blooms pics are wonderful.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks so much Krista. I'll be planting a lot of blue and purple drought-tolerant companion plants like sages and lavenders and penstemons, with the odd yellow or pink plant thrown in for contrast. They're all chosen for drought tolerance and resistance to rabbits and other chompers.

    Jin, this is just a thought, but do you think getting rid of the grass between your roses and having dedicated rose beds would help? I'm just guessing here because I don't know that I've ever seen an overview of your garden, and you may already have that. I know that grass is a big problem for you and wonder if getting rid of it in a fairly large area where you have roses and then mulching the area heavily would help. The other thought is to have other plants between the roses for contrast, using whatever does really well in your area. You're just starting out with roses and with time I know it will all come together for you.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Ingrid, you are absolutely right. I have fix my bed like 4 times and this time I got really aggravated. I decided to throw cardboards and newspapers . But, the grass is under control in the bed of roses.

    I am hoping manure helps more in many ways such to control weeds, loosen compact soil due to rain, nourish and enrich my soil since it was just sand. My earthworms that I bought last month is working really hard. Although, I only found a few from 1000. They must be in their hugglebeds hiding from our hot and humid sun.

    I am starting a second bed. I am still in process of removing bushes and plants. Covering the whole area with white plastic for a long time. Then, I am going to do what Perma did..manure and mulch. It might take me a 1 or 2 years instead of a short cut I did. That will enrich my soil. And also grow cover crops then start a new bed with roses and companion plants.

    I have to be very patient . I think I have a crabgrass and St. Augustine which both is really bad.

    I can't wait till September 21 for fall to start so I can grow my seeds.

    But looking at everybody's garden gives me positive encouragement and ideas. Trying not to buy many roses Bec they have to go in pots for time being but I can't help myself sometimes.

    Jin

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    Ingrid, your roses are looking great! I can honestly say that your Gruss, Marie Pavie, SdlM, and Duchess de Brabant ALL look better than mine. My DdB suddenly took a turn for the worse, again:(

    Your ‘Henry Duelberg’ salvia looks wonderful, and I can attest to how easily it is to propagate. A stem of mine snapped off during planting, and I stuck it in a small container of potting soil, without rooting hormone. I placed it in the shade on my patio uncovered, and just kept it moist. It’s now grown to the point where I could plant it out! I’m very surprised.

    Baronne Henriette de Snoy is looking especially lovely, as is Rosette Delizy. They’re all looking good. They must be enjoying this relief from our recent high temperatures. I know I am, and I know you’re about as big a fan of the heat as I am.

    I’m looking at the foliage on your Duchess de Brabant, and wondering why mine never looks that way. Even at her best, her leaves are longer and turned inward a bit. Yours look lush and happy. Mine is lacking something you have.

    Lovely photos, Ingrid. Lisa

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    I agree, your roses and garden look great, Ingrid. My roses are resting in many cases. As always the newbies are small, and my dreams need to sustain me for the moment.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 8 years ago

    They all look so lovely and perfect! Mine are nowhere near that condition at the moment. Foliage is sparse to say the least. Now is the time that I realize all those HPs were mistakes. Or anything with HP in the bloodline. Honestly I feel that anything that wasn't a China was a mistake.

    I was incredibly busy during the B-term (latter half of summer semester) and skipped one of the once-per-three-weeks feedings and the rose babies let me know that they were not at all pleased with that. I am hoping that they plump up again come fall.


    It's probably going to take 3 years to produce pictures from my garden that look as good as yours. And even then, that will be minus our incredibly hot and wet summers. I will never post summer pics from my garden. I am far too ashamed.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cedemas
  • 8 years ago

    Your wonderfully complementary posts have convinced me of something I've always suspected, which is that we think our own gardens are never as good as everyone elses. I can see all the flaws that I don't show in pictures and simply can't believe that my garden that's been eaten up by the rabbits is anything but a failure right now, while people like Krista, Lisa and Sheila have wonderful gardens and such beautiful and interesting roses. In truth all of my rose blooms are smaller because of the heat, and the bushes are so eaten up that I can hardly look at them. However, because of predators the rabbit population has decreased significantly since spring and I have some hope that the roses will have a chance to recuperate before next spring's onslaught.

    cedemas, if you could see what I do in my garden you wouldn't worry about showing us yours. Just be as selective in what you photograph as I am! However, I have to agree that HP's are not the easiest roses, especially in your climate. Not to worry, just start growing more teas and Chinas and all will be well.

  • 8 years ago

    This was just the post I needed! It's funny how we grow so many of the same roses in such completely different climates. I hope my Duchess de Brabant and Gruss an Aachen grow up to be as lovely as yours. I love that Barron Henriette de Snow... it reminds me somewhat of Aloha in your pics. By the way, your photography is phenomenal. You really have a knack for capturing the wide shots showing the complete Bush while still capturing the details of the flowers. Mine are usually completely blown out. Don't feel we ever get tired of these beautiful pictures.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago

    vapor, what a lovely post to brighten my morning! It makes me want to keep on trucking no matter what, and to view problems as challenges to be overcome.

    I very seldom take pictures when the sun is up, and that may be why my bush shots don't wash out. If you wait until dusk that may solve your problem. At that time the close-up shots are also more successful since the sun isn't bleaching out the colors. As an added bonus I don't get heat stroke in the summer.

  • 8 years ago

    Ingrid I always enjoy seeing your roses. Your photos are always so pretty. It has been too hot here this summer to take many pictures and my roses are 'resting'. I am hoping for cooler weather and some rain to have a nice fall flush. In the meantime I will enjoy your photos.

    Valerie

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked onewheeler