Software
Houzz Logo Print
ana_kinra

Bathtub Is Too Large

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Our condo has a very large bathtub in the master bathroom. Since moving in we have used it only once to give our infant daughter a bath. Eventually we plan on replacing it with a smaller tub and using the additional space for a closet. In the meantime, I’d like to use it for storage and one idea I had was to straddle one half of the tub with wooden planks that look nice and have room for storage underneath. I‘d appreciate any help on how else I could better make use of this dead space.





Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    I'm having trouble imaging how planks across a tub could look nice.

    If you are not concerned that others will view the space, you could uses the whole tub for storage and hang a pretty shower curtain on a tension rood to hide the space.

    There appears to be a view through into the area from the bedroom. Close the panels/slats. Take measurement to see if you have enough room for a decent tub and the bedroom closet, particularly if you want to hang clothes. I'm not a pro, but I think you need to know if you can use the drain in its current location or not.

    Ana Kinra thanked tqtqtbw
  • 8 years ago

    Curtains are a great suggestion.

    Ana Kinra thanked sheloveslayouts
  • 8 years ago

    Instead of curtains I was considering installing sliding Shoji doors running along the edge of the bathtub which, with the two overhead lights above the bathtub already, might give off a soft white light through the translucent screens without revealing the storage behind. However, I wonder if there’s a better option than either a shower curtain or Shoji doors? Thank you both for your suggestions!

  • 8 years ago

    I think the solution will partially depend on how long you intend to use it. If you plan to do the remodel soon, I would not invest the time or money in the sliding screens. If the remodel is years away, or possibly never because you decide to move away, then the screens might make you more comfortable with a streamline look.

    Ana Kinra thanked tqtqtbw
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    My mother used her tub for storage - hang an extension rod and some curtains if you want to block the view.

    You can put down some kind of grid on the floor to raise the level of the floor and then use the surface of the tub bottom for surface

    I used the shower stall in my guest bath for storage - seems to be in my DNA. I essentially used it for storing Costco amounts of toilet paper and whatever other stuff people use pantries, basements or garages for. I wasn't particularly concerned about the aesthetics since the shower itself had hideous frost acrylic :-)

    Ana Kinra thanked Helen
  • 8 years ago

    My DS put a pretty fabric shower curtain. They store their suitcases in the tub. It looks fine until they remodel.

    Ana Kinra thanked AJCN
  • 8 years ago
    There are two positions for some shelving: on the right wall side or on the back wall side next to the "exhibitionist wall".
    If you put shelving across the back "wall" area, you can access the items you need from the bedroom side.
    If you put shelves along the right side wall, you can access those items from the bedroom side or from the bathroom side. I doubt that "wood" shelving would look decent in a classy all-white bathroom, but white closet shelving (if the ends are finished in white, too) may work.
    A tub that size would probably be outlawed in California, where we are desperately short of water. It requires gallons of water just to have enough depth to get one's fanny wet.
    I am guessing that getting out of that tub would be an acrobatic feat worth watching from the bedroom. Some designers are just plain silly.
    A beautiful freestanding tub will be perfect in that space.
    Ana Kinra thanked felizlady
  • 8 years ago

    It looks like a tub for two. :-)

    Ana Kinra thanked tqtqtbw
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The last two comments are spot on. The oversized tub is dead space to us, and our apartment is in Manhattan where every single square foot counts. A poor design decision by the architects. Not to mention the louvered “exhibitionist” doors that open into the bedroom with its 8’2” windows haha! The architect who designed this new development is famous but this decision was ridiculous.

  • 8 years ago


    I’ve stayed at the Hudson Hotel and yes, the rooms are terrible (nice hotel bars though). The problem here is that the entire master bathroom is too big. There’s also a very large rain shower and Toto Carolina water closet enclosure on the opposite end of the master bathroom. All of this means less space for our master bedroom, less closet space, and no chance of a small home office unless we downsize or get rid of the tub.

  • 8 years ago

    In the interim, I think a tasteful shower curtain would look fine and be the most cost-effective option until we’re ready to proceed with removing or downsizing the tub. I also like the idea of putting shelves on the bathroom side of the louvered doors, something I hadn’t thought of before and will look into. Thank you for all of these comments, very helpful.

Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals