Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_polk6897699

Mounting ideas for this staghorn

Hi , just picked up this staghorn the other day. I'm new to growing staghorn ferns, but would ultimately like it to form a large ball-like mass I've seen in older staghorns. What sort of mount would you suggest I use? At this size can it be place in a hanging basket type container? I welcome any suggestions, thanks!



Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago

    I grow mine in large slatted orchid baskets, so the babies can grow through the slats, but it has to start when it's smaller than that. That one is pretty big. I'd go with putting a large bolt through the middle and hanging it from a chain. I have no idea how to explain how to do it, because I've never done it, just seen it done.

    Jpolk34 (New Orleans, LA, Zone 9B) thanked dirtygardener
  • 8 years ago

    No bolts through the middle, that will damage the fern.

    my son made me a large circular cradle out of wood , think he wrapped wire around it to hold it together. Sort of like a huge orchid basket but round.

    The metal hanging baskets are lightweight and won't last long.

    Plan for sturdiness as they do become very heavy, and chains are needed

    to hang it on a strong limb.

    Don't forget to throw on your banana peels, the ferns love these.

    Jpolk34 (New Orleans, LA, Zone 9B) thanked mr1010
  • 8 years ago

    It has affixed itself to the tiny square pot seen in the photo. I guess I should cut what I can of that pot away before I try and place it in some form of hanger or hanging basket?

  • 8 years ago

    No need to remove old pot, just insert plant and pot into new larger vessel and add

    new leaves, moss, a bit of soil and water/spray lightly. The plant will grow around

    the old pot just fine and old pot will be totally covered in no time.

    Jpolk34 (New Orleans, LA, Zone 9B) thanked mr1010
  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful specimen. I use hanging baskets. Replace chains with heavier chains as Plant gets bigger

    Jpolk34 (New Orleans, LA, Zone 9B) thanked bossyvossy
  • 8 years ago

    So if I want to feed banana peels to my staghorn, do I just chop them up and put them down in the top basal frond openings (areas I circled in red)? Thanks!

  • 8 years ago

    It's a common practice to put the peels where you've indicated. It attracts insects that help break own the peel. At the same time predators also move in and you get a 'cycle of life' that provides more nutrients for the plants.

    Jpolk34 (New Orleans, LA, Zone 9B) thanked tropicbreezent
  • 8 years ago

    I don't even chop up the peels, just string them all over like tinsel on a Xmas tree.

    I've read that the insects attracted to the peels deposit miniscule waste products

    after eating the peel and provide nature's fertilizer.

    Once a years or so I also apply diluted Miracle Gro solution and the fern really takes

    off.

    Jpolk34 (New Orleans, LA, Zone 9B) thanked mr1010
  • 8 years ago

    My nighbor used to have huge ones hanging from his oaks. They were mounted on a metal rebar frame and hung from a pully system so he could lower them to the ground during cold weather so he could cover them with a blanket. I so hope they went to a good home after he passed.

  • 9 months ago

    Mine grow in the crooks of two li

    bs of my Oak they will attatch themselves baskits with chains is also good they love filtered shade