Software
Houzz Logo Print
mariocarciero

Humic acid application frequency

8 years ago

Hi, how often can this be applied to the lawn. I live in Montreal Canada and I have Kentucky Bluegrass. Im not looking for short term results. Im planning on spraying this stuff yearly so its more of a longterm thing

Comments (7)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It depends on the condition of your soil. Its usually used on soils low in organic matter, or sandy soils. If its sand- spring, summer and fall would be plenty. Also have a soil test done- if you haven't already.

    Mario thanked Tom
  • 8 years ago

    snake oil, like compost tea

  • 8 years ago

    Sorry Mishmosh but I dont quite understand what this means

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Tom, my soil is 60% clay soil, 30% coarse sand and 10% organic soil.


    PH 6.7

  • 8 years ago

    Your soil would only need it once a year.......along with organic type fertilizer in summer, quicker releasing synthetic type fertilizer in spring and fall- with lots of potassium .

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with mishmosh. If you are completely out of organic resources and cannot find organic fertilizer, then use the humic acid. Otherwise use organic fertilizer 3 times per year and you'll have much better bang for short and long term.

    Compost tea is a similar product which promises the world and delivers a scant fraction of the world. I used to be on the compost tea bandwagon for years. As I read more about it, and tried it several times, I became more disenchanted with it. After more months of reading I figured out why. Two reasons. 1) if your water temperatures are higher than 75 degrees F, then your compost tea has exactly 0.00% of living aerobic microbes. Their is not enough oxygen in warm water to support aerobic life. This is why, at the end of summer, you see the growth of slime molds on top of small ponds and lakes. All the aerobic microbes are gone and the anaerobic microbes take over. Once the weather cools off or the pond is refreshed with cool rain, the microbe balance goes back to "normal." So if your compost tea, even actively aerated compost tea, was made in the head of a summer day, it has no microbial benefit. Make it in the winter and that's a different story. Or if you make it indoors with air conditioning down to 70 degrees F or less, it will work if you spray it immediately. And when I say it will work, again, if you have absolutely depleted all organic stuff from your garden, it will help replenish the microbes. 2) at best compost tea provides a mist of microbes. If you think it is a significant source of fertility, it isn't. Real fertilizer goes on at a general rate of pounds per 1,000 square feet. Compost tea delivers a minute fraction of an ounce per 1,000 square feet. Organic fertilizer is much better.