Software
Houzz Logo Print
lahousehunt

Rip Out v. Re-Vamp??

13 years ago
I posted this in the discussion thread but I just want to get a sense of whether or not to redo my brand new kitchen in a house we just bought.

We just bought a cute little renovated California hillside bungalow with a brand new kitchen but I cook a lot and the space is very tight. I am assuming the owner just renovated the kitchen for the sale but didn't actually use the kitchen because it looks great but functionality and storage space are extremely low.

It is currently a galley kitchen that is 7ft long and 8 ft wide with a 3ft 9in walkthrough. We were thinking of knocking out the wall between the dining area and kitchen and extending the island into this area creating more walkthrough space, as well as drywalling the bedroom door from the master which will make the new dimensions roughly 10ft by 9ft. The master bedroom has another door that exists to the main hallway. I know it is a small space but I really feel with the right design it could still be really functional and a joy to cook in! .

We were also considering changing the layout from galley to U-Shape, replacing the double sided fridge/freezer with a slim bottom freezer unit, replacing the range with a wall oven/micro combo and moving the sink to a corner to create more counter space and storage area.

Is anyone familiar with companies who recycle kitchens because we would much rather have someone use the old kitchen vs sending it to a landfill? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Rip Out
Re-Vamp

Comments (4)