0
Find the right pro for your project

Looking for Deep Red Ox Heart tomato seeds

rcharles_gw (Canada)
September 3, 2018

Hi,

A few years back I was sent some Tomato seeds and one variety was a beautiful deep red Ox Heart type. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of it.

I have grown other Ox Hearts which usually are more of a Pink/Red color. I would like to know if there is a variety which is dark red?

If you could give me some suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

Rick

• digdirt2

Bull's Heart, Amish Paste, Wes, German Red Strawberry, a personal fave tho they have green shoulders.

Dave

• marcantonio

reifs red heart-

• rcharles_gw (Canada)

Thank you both for responding. Marcantonio, this looks like one I would like. Can I ask where you sourced seeds for this variety? Thank You

Rick

• marcantonio

try marianne's heirlooms,

• rcharles_gw (Canada)

Thank You very much, Marcantonio

• spartanapples

Greetings:

I too grow REif's redheart. Sandhill Preservation in Iowa offered the seed. Now after my onetime purchase I just save my own seeds every year.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)

Thanks spartanapples, I am going to definitely get seeds for this one. Appreciate the info.

Rick

• spartanapples

Rcharles:

When you get your seed, you can save your own after that. Just be sure to always have a 2 year back up on seed in case of crop failure.

I mention this as I received a wonderful oxheart tomato plant many years ago. The seed was brought to the US by an Italian immigrant. Each year the greenhouse I worked at during the time would custom grow these seeds for the client as he had an Italian restaurant and grew his own fresh tomatoes. The restaurant and this gentleman are now long gone. The greenhouse I worked at is no more either.

It was the BEST oxheart I ever grew. Very sweet, red and no green shoulders nor cracking of the fruit. I saved my own seed for years but one year the seed was tossed out accidentally after the harvest season was over. I had no back up seed from the previous year so I lost that variety forever. Learn from my mistake. IF you save your own seed, keep a 2 year supply as a backup in case of crop failure.

• marcantonio

spart, i'm not sure but that sounds like the matt imperio tomato. got to see where it might be availble

• spartanapples

Thanks Marcantonio. My seed originated from Joe Namio who ran an italian restaurant in Madison WI about 35 years ago. I just called it Namio's oxheart. Best oxheart type tomato I ever grew.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)