Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelcoqui

Bump out with this?

joelcoqui
5 years ago

I want to bump out with this range. 27" deep with two 8 in. cabinets on either side at same depth...then the rest of base cabinets continue at 24" counter depth. Can this be done?

Comments (13)

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Classic White Kitchen · More Info

LIKE THIS BUT THE TOP FRONT OF THE BOSCH INDUCTION IS NOT MADE THE SAME.

• PRO
    Kitchen & Bath Galleria
    5 years ago

A bump out to match the range is definitely an option. The exact dimensions you mentioned may require a custom cabinet size depending on which manufacturer you are using. It will also require a custom countertop to match which will increase your cost.

Kitchen & Bath Galleria Designs · More Info

Kitchen & Bath Galleria Designs · More Info

• dan1888
    5 years ago

You can bump out more than 3 inches if you want. Bump out enough and your cooktop becomes accessible by two cooks from the sides. You can still use the oven from the front while someone cooks. . . . .Another alternative is to space your cabinets 3" out from the back wall and increase the counter depth to 27 or 28 inches. The added depth is very useful.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Most ranges require that their doors project beyond the cabinet fronts. That's due to the fire hazard issue. Almost all ranges can be bumped out with adjacent cabinetry, but they will not have the doors at the same plane as the cabinets. They aren't designed to. And you will have the additional complexity and expense of the countertop now required behind the range, and pulling the range hood forward with a stainless spacer.

It's a lot of customization and expense for a look that is not done very much at all anymore. The Transitional trend simplified the kitchen decorative bits, and now Transitional is moving even further towards Modern. A bumpout would not be part of either type of design. Even traditional kitchens are seldom seen with a bump out these days.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't understand because now the ovens are made so that the door is flush with the cabinetry for the European linear look. Why isn't that a fire hazard? I actually wish just the front door of the range would stick out. I can't tell from the specs if this is what I am going to get. Maybe I won't bump out after all because it seems so complicated between adding counter in the back and additional countertop pricing

• Sammy
    5 years ago

What are you trying to achieve with the bump-out — is it strictly for looks or some other reason? To answer your exact question, yes, it can be done.

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

I love the look. I regret that I did not set mine up better. MIne is not bumped out but if we had the funds we would do a change order and do the cabinets around the range to come out. Heck we would have gotten a different range too.

I say go for it, if you can make it work and you love it.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I know it can be done but its the range I am picking out. It may look like a double bump out. Here is a pic of the range in the showroom display so you can see what I mean.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    5 years ago
    yes, that Bosch detail will keep the unit face pushed out from the cabinet face.
  • User
    5 years ago

There are darn few ranges that are designed to be flush with cabinets. None of them cheap. Bumping out cabinets in violation of the installation instructions IS a fire hazard. If you want a range flush with the cabinets, triple your budget to start.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You would suggest not bumping out then? Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor ? If I purchased 2 seperate pieces top and wall oven, it would be more flush with base cabs, then I can do it. Only negative is that the oven will be approx. 3" lower to floor which is a negative (can you tell by specs if that is true?). The price for the 2 is about $500 more which is not my issue.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Was discussed. Im set. Too much indecision and doubts with this model I am picking out... so NO bump out.