Software
Houzz Logo Print
james_grier

Lawn seeding Help

8 years ago

Hi all,

I am a first time home buyer and I think my Lawn needs some assistance.

Location : Newmarket, Ontario

As you can see from the pictures I have a lot of Crab Grass and areas on the grass where its not growing.

Under the tree looks the most healthly where as the rest of the glass is in direct sunlight all day.

Seeded and added Fertilizer around March this year.

I was thinking of removing the weeds/crab grass and then manually dethatching with rake and then adding top soil and buying PRO-MIX 3.1-lb Ultimate All Condition Grass Seed and Scotts Turf Builder® Starter Lawn Food for New Grass (24-25-4)

I am also concerned about mixing Grass seed with my existing, how do I that the new Grass seed I buy will work and match with my existing?


I am re-opening this as my previous Thread was replied by ' dchall_san_antonio ' who just did a automatic reply and then closed my Thread..he also Thanked himself for it which I didn't do!




Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    anyone?

  • 8 years ago

    Was your previous thread cross posted to various forums? If that was the case, it was likely deleted as being "miscategoized" if you included a forum that was inappropriate to the topic. However, that typically gives one the option to repost under a different forum heading.

    I recall reading dchall's repsonse and it was very much on point - he is quite knowledgeable on this subject. btw, other than spam or a miscategorized post, no one other than the OP or Houzz admin can delete or 'close' a thread. And responders are not able to "thank" themselves :-) That option is only open to the original poster.

    I will let someone who lives closer to your region respond to your specifics. Lawn care and gardening advice in general is a bit different in my area from the rest of the US :-)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would skip the seeding and core aerate the lawn, and fertilize liberally this fall. Not sure if you are allowed pre-emergent but that would be good to apply in the spring. Sneak it across the border if you have to.

  • 8 years ago

    Your post is still here. It wasn't deleted, and that was not an automatic reply from me, but it was entirely composed in reply to your situation in your location. The only part of my reply that was canned was the part about watering. I suppose I could have used metric measurements, but I figure you're far enough south that you can measure in two systems. I'm just geek enough to measure in two systems.

    For your previous bottom picture, I would rake up the dead grass and seed directly. No need for more topsoil unless that is a low spot in the lawn you need to raise for better drainage.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks everyone for that infomation.

    I ended up raking up a lot of the Thatch which was inbetween the grass, there was so much that I was filing up several garden bags. I was then left with very dry patches like in my last picture so I used some top soil (3 way mix) to fill in the gaps and also added grass seed and raked them both together.

    I have been watering for the last 3 days and not had any growth yet, is that normal?


    Also Seeding directly ontop of the current grass/soil... is that really enough? From a beginner it seems like the seeds are just going to lay ontop of the grass or soil and not going to grow at all..

  • 8 years ago

    For Seeding directly ontop of the current grass/soil... is that really enough? From a beginner it seems like the seeds are just going to lay ontop of the grass or soil and not going to grow at all.

  • 8 years ago

    I prefer to top the seed with a thin layer of screened compost or topsoil. One, it helps hold in moisture, which aids in the germination and two, it keeps the birds from eating all the seed!!

    You want to cut your lawn on the lowest setting before overseeding. The seed needs to have as much direct contact with the soil surface as possible for successful germination.

  • 8 years ago

    How much water is required after seeding?


    When is the best time to apply Fertilizer for existing grass and new seeds?

  • 8 years ago

    The seed must stay moist.....if it is allowed to dry out, it will die. I can't tell you how much or how often to water - that will depend entirely on your climate and current weather. Hot and dry conditions will obviously require more frequent watering than cool and damp.

  • 8 years ago

    When is the best time to apply Fertilizer for existing grass and new seeds?


  • 8 years ago

    Typically we talk about watering three times per day for a short period. As gardengal mentioned, a lot depends on other factors. The soil should be moist but never soggy. It should not so wet that you slip or sink in when walking on it.