Software
Houzz Logo Print
bud1010

Adding Walnut to white kitchen

8 years ago

I'm looking at adding some Walnut to break up an all white kitchen. My original thoughts were to have the island be Walnut and the rest of the cabinets White, but I'll have stained red oak floors which I feel may clash. The next idea would be to have the hood be Walnut.


Thoughts on either option?

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Post some pics . Please do not do a wood hood they look odd and they are impossible to clean. Walnut added to a kitchen needs to be a thoughtful addition not just slappped in to add something.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I was thinking something like this:
    My layout:



  • 8 years ago

    Are your floors already in and done? I prefer the walnut island for sure....

  • 8 years ago

    I do have existing red oak that I'm extending into the kitchen and will refinish the whole house... so stain color is still open. I was also concerned with the movement in the walnut and oak when next to each other.

  • 8 years ago

    I have walnut furniture sitting on oak floors (stained the traditional barely stained color) and they are perfectly happy together. Get a door sample, plop it on the floor, and see how they look. Then put your sample in the sun for a few days to get to the color of aged walnut and see if it still goes.

    Don't just do a random cabinet (or hood) in walnut. It looks silly. Your inspiration photo proves it!! :) Go for a whole island, or a bank of cabinets.

  • 8 years ago
    Island and floor
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Here’s our white kitchen with walnut island top and red oak floors (special walnut stain on floors). We’re painting the hood white....was debating on wrapping it in copper but decided against that.

    I would not not do the hood in walnut and if you were considering doing your island cabinets in walnut, I would go with a lighter floor like Katie’s above (no stain). Different grain pattern between the oak and walnut is really a non issue in imo, but I think the color of the oak and the walnut needs to be carefully considered.

    11 - New Build Installed Currey · More Info

    6 - Misc · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    @fori , I do think I'm leaning towards doing the island.island. I'll make sure to get a bigger sample to compare with the floor.


    @Katie, it looks great! I'm now second guessing my original thought of staining the floors. I currently have natural but with a oil based finish which has yellowed over the years.

  • 8 years ago

    @nidday, awesome kitchen! Your floor color was what I was originally aiming for. Do you see any red undertones with the stain mix you used?

  • 8 years ago

    Were you wanting the island cabinets or island countertop to be walnut?

  • 8 years ago

    Bud Dee.....maybe very slight red undertones, but more brown/goldenish to my eyes. If you sand down your floors you can have your floor guy test a bunch of stain colors on small areas of your floor. Here are the samples they did right below my walnut top. Special walnut is #2....

    6 - Misc · More Info


  • 8 years ago
    Here’s my kitchen... it’s not ALL white, but a lot of white. The island has a walnut waterfall top, and the piece above my hood is also walnut, they are both finished with Waterlox, no stain. My floors are red oak but they are stained cherry. We didn’t pick out the floors, they were already here when we bought the house. I don’t think it looks great with the walnut... but our plan is to eventually have our floors refinished, I’d like a medium brown color. But I at least wanted you to see what walnut looks like directly against a very red floor... too red, redder than red oak should be. LOL! Hope that helps!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    @skmom, that is a gorgeous island! That walnut is spectacular!


  • 8 years ago

    I'm looking at the island itself being walnut but I will also be doing a bar area where I was thinking a walnut counter.


    Skmom, the hood ties in with the island nicely.


    Any advise on doing stacked cabinets with 8 ft ceilings? I was thinking of a 12" glass door cabinet on top of a 26" cabinet. I thought it would break up the wall doors.


  • 8 years ago
    Walnut island and pantry cabinets, Benjamin Moore pure white cabinets and red oak flooring with a bona matte oil finish.
  • 5 years ago

    @Katie White your kitchen is gorgeous!! May I ask what color your white cabinets are and what the backsplash is?

  • 5 years ago

    @User Beautiful kitchen!! What stain color is your floor and what color white are your cabinets?

  • 5 years ago

    @Mary... thanks. Floor is special walnut stain by DuraSeal, cabinets were a custom color mixed by the cabinet maker.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you!