Software
Houzz Logo Print
gardenernut

Rose suggestions

8 years ago

I have had a good sized area open up in my back garden. Im planning on doing a circular patio in the middle with a fire pit. Im thinking of bordering the patio with box woods. If I do that, I will have four 3-4’ wide corners with narrow beds connecting them. Two sides of the area back Up to a fence. My plan was to put roses In the corners and install supports in the two narrow beds against the fence for climbing roses. what roses would you suggest? I prefer old garden roses and austins but I’m open to any rose.


Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    Any color preferences?

  • 8 years ago

    I agree letting us kniw what colors you prefer would help. Assuming you are open to all colors I will suggest Princess Anne, Olivia and Desdemona. They are all Austin’s with great rebloom and good healthy foliage. Strawberry Hill is a very nice climber with lots of repeat. If you like darker colors I would suggest Darcey B and Mustead Wood.

  • 8 years ago

    You're in Zone 9 -- but where? I'm used to California, and I know some things that are great here may have disease problems in other, more humid, areas.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I’m in nor cal near Sacramento and as far as colours go I’m open to anything. I have grandmothers hat, faded pink monthly, Mary rose, pink gruss and first crush around the perimeter of this area.

  • 8 years ago

    OK. Glad you have GramHat -- I was going to suggest that.
    I might also suggest "New Orleans Cemetery Rose" which may be 'Pierre de St. Cyr'

    I think you might enjoy 'Maman Cochet' and/or 'White Maman Cochet' . . . And, OH! 'Perle d'Or'

    I strongly suggest that you visit the Historic Rose Garden (1000 Broadway, Sacramento) -- I gather things are looking very good right now -- and this is a good time to find out how things are looking in your area, this time of the year.

    If you like white, look for 'Snowbird' -- it's fragrant, and disease-free, and you can find it in the cemetery, too -- labeled "Louise Ave. White HT."

    You can find a lot of what you'd like through Burlington Rose Nursery -- and if you can hold out, I would recommend the Open Garden and Rose Sale, coming in April.

  • 8 years ago

    Fragrance is always a nice bonus to have. I should go by the cemetery again and look around. I like the look of the cochet family and pearl d’or. I do have a potted oneto home saffron from last years open garden that I haven’t planted yet, so I might put it in one corner. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a lot to think about

  • 8 years ago

    Highly recommended Eden as a climbing rose, grows well in Bay Area, has "David Austin-like" form.

  • 8 years ago

    The fence is about 6’ but I would likely build a strong trellis and put it in front of the fence.

  • 8 years ago

    Disease resistance should be the biggest factor in choosing a rose. You don't want something that will get sick and die shortly after planting. If you like Austins, go with Crown Princess Margareta and Benjamin Britten. These roses are extremely hardy, fragrant, disease resistant, and often repeat bloom. What more could you want in a rose?


    These are not Austins, but I also recommend Julia Child and Ebb Tide. Fragrant, hardy, and good disease resistance. I can't remember if they repeat bloom but I believe they do.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    So here’s what I’ve added to the area, the lower left corner was wide/deep enough that I put Oklahoma in the back with oneto home saffron and pretty Jessica next to each other in front of it. in The upper right corner I put Tiffany. Halfway between the two corners on the left side I put sunny delight. For the fences I have a Castro breen and Peggy Martin that I might use. in The lower right corner I might put a seedling from Julia child. The upper left corner has a purple fountain grass for now . I’m under planting with salvia, rudbeckia hirta and using mexican heather at the front of the border like a hedge. i also have some ornamental grasses that will be tucked into the back of the beds

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Perennial Fan - I grow Julia Child and it has been hardy, healthy, and fragrance is moderate and it reblooms well. I just got another fresh flush of blooms in September after the heat died down.