Software
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

Embarrassing mower admission

My lawn mower blade was mounted upside down.


I've been mowing with the blunt edge of the blade since I got the mower. I noticed the grass blades have always been shattered instead of sliced, but I chalked that up to the mower being electric and not moving fast enough to slice. This weekend, after 20 days of rain and a few days of drying, I finally got a chance to mow. The grass was at least a foot tall. The grass clogged the deck and had to be scraped out every 5 minutes. At one point I noticed the blunt end of the blade looked very polished. I looked at the edged edge and it looked like it has had ten years of rust on it. I flipped the blade over and am now getting nicely sliced grass. It did not speed up the process of mowing foot-tall grass, but at least it's slicing and not shattering it.

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago
    lol, it has happened to me on my mulching rider after the "grass side" stamp got worn or clogged.
  • 8 years ago

    My lawnmower blade is used every year to chop up the gardens as they die at frost.


    I haven't had it sharpened in sixteen years...

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    dchall , actually quite a feat , considering the effectiveness of a dull blade is equivalent to a commercial food processor lol. I have had to many to recall numbers of mowers brought in for servicing and notice the blades on backwards . As far as sharpness a butter knife edge is sufficient for most grass . Anything less may cause grass to be ripped (pureed) rather than cut , (not good) . I prefer very sharp , may dull faster due to the acute angle but blades are relatively cheap and sharp blades produce a high quality cut . Normally get 3-5 yr per blade .

  • 8 years ago

    did the mower come with the blade that way?

  • 8 years ago

    I've never done anything to the blade. The mower went in for service about 5 years ago and they installed a $70 recall/upgrade, but they didn't do anything to the blade. So yes, I guess it came that way.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You actually paid someone to put a mowerblade on backwards roflmao , now that is embarrassing ! P.S. Don't buy mowers at Box Stores with College Students assembling them lol.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm pretty sure the blades are assembled at the factory. The EGO mower I bought recently was almost entirely assembled in the box. But now I want to check the blade on that one.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Here's the grass I'm dealing with. It was probably 2 weeks overdue before the rains came 3 weeks ago.

    I'm obviously mowing more than 1/3 the height of the grass.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What Brand of mower did the blade which was installed improperly come on prior to the Ego ?

  • 8 years ago

    My brother and I mowed a section of the yard with our Clinton powered front discharge mower. Next day about half of the grass bounced back up. We had put the blade on backward and it just bent a lot of the grass over. That was about 55 years ago.

  • 8 years ago

    Baha , that's an original RD !

  • 8 years ago

    The mower in question is a Black and Decker battery powered. The EGO is 180 miles away at my sister-in-law's house.

  • 8 years ago

    I,am impressed dchall with the grass the BD will cut Bud . I imagine with the amount of electric s being sold , just a matter of time and someone will drop one off for some form of service lol.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH