Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_pekelnicky

I made strawberry jam

Rose Pekelnicky
5 years ago

Today I made strawberry jam. I used berries from my garden that I had frozen. I am so glad to have my countertop water bath canner since I can't lift a big pot full of boiling water.

Comments (21)

• Rose Pekelnicky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• glenda_al
    5 years ago

Yum!

Rose Pekelnicky thanked glenda_al
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Are we invited over for a taste?!

interesting canner, never heard of one like that.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I would love to try! Looks delicious.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • User
    5 years ago

Interesting canner but don't you have to lift it to get it up there?

Rose Pekelnicky thanked User
  • jemdandy
    5 years ago

I love homemade strawberry jam!

Rose Pekelnicky thanked jemdandy
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The canner sits on the counter next to my sink. I fill it with the hose from my faucet and to empty it I open the spigot on the side and it drains into my sink.

• roxanna7
    5 years ago

Have you ever tried freezer strawberry jam? Easy and tastes like fresh berries, not cooked ones... Just sayin'!!

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

I used to make freezer jam. It was so good!

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Yum, Rose, that looks delicious. This winter it's going to be just like a nice taste of summer in the middle of any bad weather.

Annie

Rose Pekelnicky thanked annie1992
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Rose, what a treat! Are you getting ready for the holiday season, because these jars would make delightful gifts. Nothing can compare to homemade jam, the freezer equivalent doesn't have the richness, the deep flavor, or even the usefulness of traditional, stove-top jam.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • User
    5 years ago

I never using a canning method when I make jam. Just pop the lids on and turn the jars upside down for a bit. Flip them over and wait for the lids to "pop". Sealed. Done.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rhizo, some of the jars will be used as door prizes at a shower I am hosting. Debby, I like to use the current standards for processing home canned food, hence the boiling water bath.

• norar_il
    5 years ago

I used to make freezer strawberry jam to give to my grandkids who love strawberry jam. Then DGS told me his father just ate the jam by the spoonful. I didn't make it for him, dang it!

Rose Pekelnicky thanked norar_il
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

Rose, I've never seen that BWB canner but noticed the spigot on the bottom side. How my neighbor (now gone) would have loved that. She both BWB and pressure canned and the weight of canners became too much for her without help. This was her favorite time of year (not mine) and I've been thinking of her and missing her this week.

How did your jam set up? If I'm going to have a problem with set, it will be with strawberry! I hope yours is perfect.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • digdirt2
    5 years ago

"I never using a canning method when I make jam. Just pop the lids on
    and turn the jars upside down for a bit. Flip them over and wait for
    the lids to "pop". Sealed. Done."

I note Debby is in Canada so that is her choice but for future readers who adhere to the USDA canning guidelines please be aware that such methods are NOT approved. Processing is required. Inversion methods result it greater number of seal failures since it forms an incomplete vacuum and the development of mold issues increases substantially.

Rose - beautiful color there! Good luck with the set.

I do mostly pressure canning but if I did more BWB canning I'd sure think about investing in such a canner. But since the steam canners are approved and so much easier to deal with I'll stick with that.

Dave

Rose Pekelnicky thanked digdirt2
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Rose, that is one nifty canner, what a good idea.

I always water bath my jam, because I get too many bad seals and ruined product when I don't. Grandma used to use paraffin, but she had the same problem, and so, at least 50 years ago, she started water bath canning her jam and she never looked back. It's just too fast and too easy, and good insurance against spoilage.

Annie

Rose Pekelnicky thanked annie1992
  • lisa_fla
    5 years ago

The strawberry farm here just started tilling the fields for planting on Oct 9th. Last season was cut short by frosts and I never got to go picking with the very low supply. The season before was my first time picking, and my first time making freezer jam. So easy and good! Now I want to try canning.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked lisa_fla
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Lisa, I'm going to have to warn you that canning is addictive. You start with jam, move on to fruits or sauces or maybe fruit syrups if you are a fan of waffles. The next thing you know you're buying a pressure canner and canning french onion soup and beef stew!

Annie

• petalique
    5 years ago

Very lovely, Rose.

I love strawberries, and home garden fresh are the best -- no pesticides and so on. I've tried growing June-bearing and day-neutral. I've read and tried various things. I bought berry netting, but never had to use it. I applaud all strawberry growers.

I like your hot water bath gizmo. I only make dilly beans (now and again).

I did make some strawberry freezer jam one year. Farm stand berries. The freezer jam is intensely flavorful of genuine fresh strawberries. My father was a big fan. But the drawbacks were a LOT of sugar is required -- and many people should be cautious of too much sugar. And the other of course is that it uses up a lot of freezer space if you make more than say 10 jars.

I hope you don't mind but because I love the color of strawberry jam, I took the liberty to attempt and editing of your photograph so that it might show the gorgeous color of your jam.

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to better see the beautiful color of your strawberry jam, so I edited it a little bit to brighten the jars.

I don't have Photoshop anymore, and this was done with an older iPad. As you probably know, when you want to take a photo of a dark subject, there are a few things you can do so that it gets sufficient lighting. You can focus in on, say, one jar's contents (which in this case would be the dark berries), or you can place the jars on a darker surface so that your camera's light meter doesn't get thrown off by the bright light from either the window or your countertop or towel. It can be very tricky photographing such a contrasting areas.

Oh, I just remembered, one thing. I used to preserve something that was so delicious and beautiful -- pickled crabapples. Each crabapple was about the size of a 50 Cent peace or a bit smaller, and in each jar I put a syrup and then things like cinnamon stick, clove, maybe other pickling spices and of course the syrup and vinegar and sugar in it. But the real kicker was how incredibly gorgeous they looked on a backlit kitchen windowsill.

Great job, Rose.

Excuse typos I have tendinitis and so I'm trying to use the voice recognition on my device.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm