Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmajoy8

Warning against Corian Quartz - Don't do it!

Emily A
5 years ago

Hi All -

Just wanted to make sure to put this here for other users to see it in case they are considering Corian quartz, particularly a leathered variety. Something is phenomenally wrong with this product. I expect Corian will get this deleted eventually, but regardless - I have yet to speak to anyone in the customer service department so I have no idea if they will take responsibility for the issue or not.

I know lots of you hate quartz or in general want to explain to me that I should have hired a better kitchen designer, no need to go on telling me I'm a dumbie for getting this stuff. I'm posting this because this information should be put in the public square and Houzz is that place for kitchens in 2018.

If you visit my insta you can see IRL videos: www.instagram.com/house.on.fifth

These handprints were made by touching the stone with my dry, non-lotioned hand for 1 to 2 seconds.

this is still there 15 hours later.

the cats snacked a little on the counter, within an hour these permanent stains formed. This is normal (not oily) cat kibble.

Comments (26)

• tackykat
    5 years ago

I don't think Corian is quartz, unless they have started making a new product ...

• tackykat
    5 years ago

Sorry! did not know Corian did quartz. Those pics do not look good. Sorry that happened.

Emily A thanked tackykat
  • zmith
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wow. I've never heard of Corian quartz. Now I know to avoid it.

Emily, so sorry you are experiencing all these issues with this countertop product. Sincerely hoping you get a resolution from Corian or the supplier you purchased it from.

Emily A thanked zmith
  • Emily A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks. What has surprised me is that Corian is not more concerned about this issue - and me having more and more time to put these pictures up on the internet.

• Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
    5 years ago

Corian Quartz was Zoqiaq Quartz. Thats what you get when you have a non-polished finish. Look up leathered, matte, or honed finish in quartz and you will see hundreds of people on this forum who have had the same problem.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Terrible that they put this product out there. What kind of dog do you have? It looks just like my baby! I have a coton de tulear.

5 years ago

They make a product that people want. a different finish in quartz. its just not practical.

• Emily A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have a cockapoo! I also have a bernadoodle. They are loves!!

• ajm27
    5 years ago
    Glad to see someone from DuPont finally reached out. Please keep us updated! Was considering those countertops myself.

My grandmother chose Corian countertops for a new build completed in 1994; I absolutely LOVED them growing up. 24 years later, I was very excited to see the redesign and rebranding. Especially because my husband and I just bought a home. Thanks so much for sharing your story! Gave you a follow because your home is gorgeous and I too have a little furry menagerie ha!
    5 years ago

maybe Joseph Corelett LLC will comment on this thread. I may be wrong but I thought he had a solution to this.

• User
    5 years ago

Corian Quartz is the renamed Zodiaq. It's not a new product; it's a new name.

• Emily A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Corian did finally reach out to me to discuss a resolution, I will update the thread with how it turns out.

• chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

Best of luck Emily. I hope the quartz gods remove this leathered finish from the market. My sister has Zodiac quartz (polished finish) that's 15 years old and has never had a problem with it. I hope Corian gives you a resolution that works for you.

• Donna E
    5 years ago

Corian Solid Surface and Corian Quartz are two different products.

I think it was a stupid marketing decision on their part to rename Zodiac Quartz as Corian Quartz.

• Amy Gonzalez
    5 years ago
    The leathered finishes act like soapstone. they will show oil and stains. it's kind of like flat paint and will absorb stains
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

Does it clean off? Leathered and honed finished quote often "show " things more but they can be cleaned off....Gosh - can't wait to hear what happens here

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

The guys in the lab at DuPont are all saying "We told you so." to the marketing and design departments. The bald people at DuPont are all in the Public Relations department. They've pulled out all their hair.

Swami Joe predicts they pull the plug on this; it's unsustainable because of the internet.

I'd love to throw some Tenax Quartz Toner on that stuff just to see what happens.

• Emily A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here you can see the difference between the product that was installed, the sample of Nero soapstone and the polished version. Stain testing on my instagram.

Here

5 years ago

Has there been a solution yet?

• Emily A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

no solution yet.

• Julie B.
    5 years ago

Their marketing department is busy developing a sink that photographs beautifully but has the small downside of developing dozens of pinhole leaks when exposed to water.

• Colleen T
    4 years ago

I am considering corian quartz in a different color and finish (marble mist) and came across this thread. Emily A, was this issue ever resolved?

• Monica B
    last year

Adding to this since I found the thread. I have a darker finish - the night soapstone I believe and it is AWFUL! If you look at it the wrong way it scratches. And the scratches are white so against a dark surface its very obvious. In a place like a kitchen, the last thing you need is to have to be extra careful and delicate with your surface.