Juvenile Pampas Grass overwintering

HU-59249664
October 3, 2018

I received a clump of several juvenile Pampas grasses. The clump is about 6-7 inches wide. It was dried when I received it but this is entering their dormant season so I was not sure what to do. I planted it in a 14in wide x 12in deep pot with Miracle Grow potting soil and watered it so it was fluffy yet moist. Was this the best option? Is there somewhere specific I should place it? Or should I just suck it up, dig the garden I intended it for and plant it in the ground now? 10/4/18 in PA

• laceyvail 6A, WV

Pampas grass will not survive a Pennsylvania winter.

Agree. True pampas grass - Cortaderia selloana - is only winter hardy in zone 7 and above.

• Embothrium

>It was dried when I received it<

As in brown and dead looking? If you are in fact talking about Cortaderia this is an evergreen species that shouldn't look completely without any green at all anywhere on the foliage crown at any time. Also if the plant was received bare-rooted grasses of this nature don't really like drying of the roots very much.