Software
Houzz Logo Print
mettebee_copenhagen8b

Advice on moving roses needed!

Hello good rose people! I am moving to a new house early next year and would like to take 3-4 roses with me if the new owners are ok with that.
My plan is to cut the roses down some and dig up as much root as possible and then move them temporarily to my mother's garden. The roses are bare root from last November and most have grown 7 foot long brances this summer and look very healthy.
I want to move a Mme Isaac Perriere, a Louise Odier, a Henri Martin and an Odyssey.
Any advice on the best time and method for it? We can expect light frost in Oct-Nov but not for long. The roses might still be growing a bit, my Rose de Resht is formning new buds.
I will post photos later. Thanks!

Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    My climate is very different from yours but I would think the best time to move the roses is when they are as fully dormant as possible in your climate. I would trim back the canes so that the roots will not be unduly burdened by trying to maintain lots of top growth. I'm sure others closer to your conditions will be able to offer better advice.

    MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Agree with Ingrid. Here in Italy,fall and winter are the only good times to move roses,because it's cool and wet, and my climate is compared to a zone 8b or 9 ,as yours seems to be,but Copenhagen is much further up north,so I really amn't sure. However roses tend to be very gracious about being moved. Do try to get as much of the feeder root mass as possible; the long, thick anchor roots can be shortened.

    MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you both. Some photos:


    Mme Isaac Perriere


    Louise Odier

    My plan is to wait a month or so until it cools down, cut the branches some and then try to dig up as much root as possible. I'll let you know whether the method was succesful :)

    Have a lovely weekend.


  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for the comment Marlorena, it is good to hear from someone with a similar climate, not to mention a lot experience. I'm an admirer of your garden. I'll try to keep as much cane as practically possible. One reason to wait a bit to move them is also that they will overwinter in my mother's garden and I don't want her to have to water a lot which I suspect would be necessary in this mild autumn weather.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes I know what you mean MetteBee…. Autumn finally arrives tomorrow for me, so I wanted to get all these jobs done, because I don't like November too much... Your 'Mme Isaac Pereire' is going to look great, it's grown really well...with some horizontal training... best of luck... oh and I'm sorry about all this Brexit business.... I was a remainer and I'm sick of hearing about it, but we have to go with it, for the sake of democracy...

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, I hope the madame will survive a transplant! I fell in love with it from photos, and the one bloom I had this year was small (due to the drought) but smelled lovely. About Brexit, I am crossing my fingers for a pragmatic solution that doesn't shake things up too much.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz