Software
Houzz Logo Print
rnluvs2jetski

Need help choosing a backsplash

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
We have just renovated our kitchen and I need to choose a backsplash. We have espresso cabinetry & lapidus magban granite countertops. I love the linear glass tiles, but not sure if it is "too busy" as our granite has lots of movement. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (19)

  • 13 years ago
    Here is a photo of the linear glass tile that I like. But is it too similar to the granite?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Perhaps choose a larger solid colored natural stone tile. Something like a 8 or 12 inch travertine or marble would have less grout lines and not look "busy". You could have some small piece of your granite cut (in squares, diamonds, or linear) and insert it in the backsplash.
  • 13 years ago
    I would choose one of the colors in the glass tile, maybe the somewhat amber color, and do that in a subway tile. Have your tile installer use the thinnest grout line possible. I just did something similar and it looks great.
  • 13 years ago
    Love this backsplash and I have seen this used with your granite. Lattice pattern.

    Breckenridge Residence · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    That glass tile is pretty -- I would pick one of the lightest tones and just do that so the granite can be the star of the show.
    That way you play up the color in the counters, and the texture in the backsplash.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You are right on target, Its quite busy with that glass tile. Find a local large tile supplier (not a large building supply company) in your area. I really prefer a simple glass tile with one color only and maybe a subway size. not too small or too busy
  • 13 years ago
    I went to a tile shop today & they suggested this chocolate tumbled travertine with this trim accent. She also said it could be done in a 12x12 diagonal.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Meet with reputable designer on site so an informed decision can be made.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    That tile looks quite pinky (which is common for a tumbled travertine) and I wouldn't do it with your counters, and installed on a diagonal looks quite dated. The first picture below has an amber coloured subway tile that would be nice (not suggesting the busy mosaic pattern), and there are a couple pic's of other tiles that would look nice as well. Good luck! ://
    Kitchen detail of custom mosaic tile · More Info
    Traditonal Kitchen · More Info
    The Great Spaces! Kitchen · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Congratulations on your new kitchen, looks beautiful. I love the subway tiles that Lori Volpatti posted. I prefer them over the travertine squares or the glass tiles. Best of luck!
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with the last few posts, a glass subway tile in a complementary color is the way to go!
  • 13 years ago
    I love glass subway tiles & almost brought 1 home today, but haven't found the perfect color yet. I don't want to go too light or too dark with my espresso cabinets.
  • 13 years ago
    Following with interest! I've chosen similar cabinets and similar granite for my new build and have been thinking about a backsplash. I know subway tile is all the rage, but I just don't care for it. I LOVE the little glass tiles, but I think they're way too busy to go with granite and the eye won't know where to go. Of the options so far, I like the tumbled travertine best.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I chose 4x4 chocolate tumbled travertine with a row of travertine & crushed glass accent tile. Here's the finished close up.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Nice look. See if you can get matching outlet covers that can blend in with the tile and also change out the outlets for a darker color. You have invested quite a bit on the back splash to have the white outlet distract from it.
  • 13 years ago
    I've been following with interest as well. My suggestion would be to allow your backsplash to provide some color contrast - keep it much lighter. I would pull the lightest color from your granite in a stone selection. I agree with an earlier comment that the granite should be the focal point.
  • 13 years ago
    Finished backsplash.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Find n artist in your area to paint out the switch plates exactly like the backsplash You can see the painted switch plates we do in our projects.
    This will make big difference.
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida