Software
Houzz Logo Print
pensivern

Which SW white for Cabinets ?

7 years ago
I plan on using Viatera Minuet counters for my kitchen upgrade. I don’t want stark white cabinets but also don’t want them looking dingy next to the quartz.

Here are two I’m considering: snowbound on left, Alabaster on right. I know one can’t judge by a computer screen pic, but hoping those familiar with SW paints can weigh in.

Comments (35)

  • 7 years ago

    BM Simply White is a soft white you might check out. SW Alabaster is cream with yellow undertone. Snowbound is off-white with gray undertones I think.

  • 7 years ago
    I’ve found BM simply white to look very yellow in my house, but I’m limited to SW colors for now anyway.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I wouldn't use either of those. I'd use Simply white.

    Here it is next to Alabaster so you can see the diff


    it's not a bright white, just a neutral white. any of those others are going to have undertones. the left one is pink (or red undertones) and the other is creamy more yellow.

    Using a neutral white isn't going to snow-blind you and it won't be dingy.

    The other thing you need to remember is your lighting. In your kitchen, why temperature bulbs do you use? you want something in the 4000K range or everything will have a yellowish tint.


    Here is Alabster, but notice all of the natural light from the skylight and windows. it's still a warm toned white, but all the natural daylight keeps it from appearing too creamy. Look over next to the vent hood. see the diff in color when not bathed in natural light?


    here is Divine White. look at the lighting from above. see the tone that is cast on the uppers?


    White Dove is another nice choice


    Cloud White


    Simply White


    And SW Pure White




  • 7 years ago
    Beth, My contractor told me to pick a SW paint color. You recommended BM white dove which I read is a dupe for SW alabaster- one of my choices.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    no, it's not the same. at all.

    look above in my first comment, I posted some new pics w/SW whites. And I posted a kitchen in alabaster. look at the different tones in the corner of the photo. if you don't have a super bright, natural light filled kitchen, it's going to look creamy

    what is your lighting situation?

  • 7 years ago
    My lighting situation is poor now. We do get some late afternoon sun but not much. We will be adding under cabinet lighting with the remodel.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    not enough light for creamy white. it's going to look dingy, especially against the blue/white tone of that countertop you picked. Get the most neutral white they have. I personally don't even get my white tinted. I use it straight from the can. it's the purest white.

    Why don't you get a sample of the SW Pure White and test it on your cabinets in your lighting? Just prime and paint one door or drawer front to see how it looks. And, at least change your bulbs to the cooler white.

  • 7 years ago
    I don’t know Beth, I painted A piece of Sheetrock with SW Alabaster I had bought, and it looks blinding white to me. I can’t imagine going with Pure White (?)
  • 7 years ago
    Ok, off to get a sample.
  • 7 years ago

    What did you chose? How did it turn out?

  • 7 years ago
    I decided on SW pure white- looks great. The counters go in Tuesday- I decided on Karis by Viatera- same colors as Minuet with a bit of cross veining added.
  • 6 years ago

    I know this is an old post but I have been planning on this same combination. Minuet countertops with alabaster cabinets. The reason I was going to do alabaster is because minuet is described as alabaster Quartz and the trim and ceilings in my house are alabaster. If I did pure white on cabinets and trim would it be ok if the ceilings are flat alabaster, or would I need to do all the same white? I can’t imagine repainting every ceiling. So far alabaster looks really white in my house but I am not sure if it will stay that way in the kitchen. Thoughts?

  • 6 years ago

    Someone posted that the SW Alabaster looked too beige on her cabinets and was disappointed.

  • 6 years ago

    I’m not sure as my ceilings are painted a generic “ ceiling white” which pretty much has no color. If your trim and ceilings are alabaster white, I dont think it’ll be a problem, unless you have crown molding atop your cabinets and around your room which is already alabaster.

  • 6 years ago

    Yes I have crown that would be near the cabinets that are alabaster.

  • 6 years ago

    Does the crown around the room connect to a crown atop your cabinets?

  • 6 years ago

    No it doesn’t connect to it but gets close in some spots.

  • 6 years ago

    If you’re sure Alabaster cabinets won’t work with your counters, go with what looks best. It’s easier to live with trim/ ceilings a bit off than. Cabinets looking dingy next to your pricey counters. You can always paint trim easier than cabinets.

  • 6 years ago

    That is true. I am not sure they won’t go , I thought they would until I read people telling you to not use alabaster with them ! Lol. Just nervous after reading this and second guessing the choice.

  • 6 years ago

    I hear you, honestly sometimes I look at my SW pure white cabinets and think.... “ wow, they are soooo white”. My first choice was Alabaster and not sure I wouldn’t have been happier with that color. Paint some boards Alabaster and put atop your counters- the lighting in your space may make it a great choice! It is enough to make one crazy!!

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks , it really is !!! Now I have throw myself a curve ball and thought .. what if I do grey instead of white ? We have requisite grey walls and in one room have chair rail with elephant ear on the bottom. I am starting to wonder how elephant ear would look. The bottom color in the pic here. That is alabaster one the ceiling there too.

  • 6 years ago

    rolo, I think the gray colors would look great in the tray portions of the ceiling. Or maybe darker one on the ceiling, and the lighter one along the trim pieces and 'step's.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I have Minuet counters and my cabinets are SW Extra White

    Sainsbury · More Info


    Sainsbury · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Beth it had been painted that way before with the old colors and I couldn’t decide so I went back with solid alabaster. To be honest I was about 100% sure I wouldn’t be able to get clean lines. I am not great with paint. I figured I could go back and add something later lol. Here it is in the browns that were here when we bought the house.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Well that's nice too. but what if you did the ceiling part w/the darker tone? just the tray part. right now it's just so white. it's a nice part of the ceiling that needs a little pizzazz.


    i love this one










  • 6 years ago

    Design interior south , thanks for the pics! If I didn’t already have alabaster for all the white in the house it would be less of a problem and I would go with one of the brighter whites to be safe, but since I do I’m trying to not have my whites clash but also be happy with the cabinets.

  • 6 years ago

    Beth I like that idea a lot ! Do you think it would look best to do dark on top then light greys on the sides (like it was painted before) or simply just the dark on the very top ? I won’t be able to do this right away because we have kind of too many projects going but it is something that can be put on the list.

  • 6 years ago

    when you get the chance to try it, I think I'd like the dark one on the ceiling, and then maybe the lighter one on the 'step' portion. But do just the ceiling portion first.


    for example, leave all of the molding trim in the white. ceiling square, dark. then the portion below the trim on the inside, the lighter one.

    ditto for the inset part below the next trim piece. light color. see how it looks. maybe, just maybe, you could do dark where the arrow is pointing.


    btw, get yourself some wood outlet covers and paint them the same as the wall. those white ones really stand out! (you can try painting the plastic ones, but the wood covers look better)

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the visual! I’m going to save this pic and will attempt when I can for sure !

  • 6 years ago

    We are in the process of installing SW Alabaster white cabinets and a dark stained island, too. They sure look plenty white enough in our light. Our counter top is Bianco Drift which has some creamy white in it (among others colours). If we had the doors on, I would snap a pic for you, but it really will depend on your colours. Do you like the "white" of the trim you already have?

  • 6 years ago

    Ontariomom yes I love it, especially on the ceilings. Alabaster is my go to white. I started second guessing it when I saw advice against it, because I do see how it can be a touch yellow in some pics people have posted and I was worried it could end up that way in my kitchen. Post pics when yours is done please !!

  • 6 years ago

    https://www.hellolovelystudio.com/2020/01/how-to-pick-white-quartz-countertop.html. This is an interesting read re your countertops etc. Do read the comments at the end

  • 4 years ago

    My custom home builder and professional painter use SW alabaster for trim and cabinets 95% of the time because of the science behind it's reflectiveness, and all those other numbers I can't remember. It doesn't look dull, gray or blue. Its smack in the middle. The tiny swatch is so misleading..as seen in some photos above kitchens, walls and trim look crisp without blinding. I was very shocked to see the model in alabaster and then the tiny swatch. Can't even compare!


  • 4 years ago

    I am so glad I'm not the only one struggling with which white to use. The new home (under construction) features an open concept great room with an all-white U-shaped kitchen. The corner stone fireplace has creamy tones (slightly pink-peach undertones) and the wall color of choice is SW Rivers Edge. The mantle is medium brown stained wood, floor medium brown. The U-shaped kitchen has bright but not direct east and west sunlight. While Alabaster looks good around the fireplace, it might go dingy in the corners in the kitchen. But Snowbound (my other consideration) looks great in the kitchen but gets a bit glaring around the stone. I'm afraid Pure White and Simply White are too white (like they reflect too much light). I want something softer, I want gleaming not glaring. Any words of wisdom for me?

Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio