Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyful_hearts

Need to finalize hood

Joyful Hearts
5 years ago
I need to finalize the hood for my kitchen. The kitchen company only has a few options. Here are two along with my kitchen layout. I am wild about the ledge on the white grotto type style. I can purchase my own but don’t even know how to begin. Our cabinetry will be white but if we did s wood colored hood could do wood stained island....

Comments (16)

• K R
    5 years ago
    I think the white one with the ledge would look better with your layout.
  • Andrea Webb
    5 years ago
    I agree with Karen on the white one. It would mimic the raised cabinets over the fridge and sort of blend in. My personal style makes me love the wood one, though! It's beautiful! I guess it depends on if you want it to blend in or stand out?
  • PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    5 years ago

Yes the white one. Unless you want the eye to catch it every time entering the room.

Ken

• PRO
    Elaine Roberts Drafters & Designers
    5 years ago

I agree the white one, for your layout.

• nini804
    5 years ago

The white one since your range isn’t symmetrical on the wall.

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    I like the white one too. It will look nice in your kitchen.
  • Melissa R
    5 years ago

depends on your style. I think the white one looks dated (just my opinion) and I'm not sure about the first one. If these were my choices I'd get on Amazon and search for stove vent hoods and purchase something myself

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

If SS isn't your thing (it's not mine), I actually prefer the first hood style, but that's me. I guess I've never cared for the cabinet-look hoods, although in some kitchens they are nice. However, given your layout, consider your backsplash. Where would you stop the tile or whatever you're going to use? With the cabinet style hood in the second photo it's pretty defined for you. So given that issue, were it my kitchen and the cabinetry didn't go to the ceiling, I'd probably choose the 2nd.

I would keep it the same color wood (painted or stained) though. You should know I'm among those who are not afraid of a lot going on, which is far from the cleaner, simpler look many prefer here. I adore the look Jan did above : ) We are also going with a large paneled fridge and DW.

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Could someone suggest one found on another site? I’ve browsed a ton and not found one. Was thinking only option would be to get a carpenter to design one for me...
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Forget online . Get a local and custom solution. You are very late as it applies to your cabinet order. This should have been considered with the total package. Cabinets, trim , finish, size 'and ALL.

It's not an accessory add on

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cabinet company does not offer a different solution. Had to go with one cabinet company through new home with neighborhood builder. This is not my area of expertise. If it was up to me I would have just bought a newly updated kitchen and move in where I didn’t have the choices.
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

I like the feel of a large wood hood over a range. I would choose the white one.. But before you choose that one. Check out your options.

Wood Hood Shop

Castlewood Shiplap Chimney Range Hood, Cherry, 30" · More Info

Castlewood Epicurean Chimney Hood, Alder, 36", No Ventilator/Liner · More Info

Classic Series Wood Range Hood, Alder, 30"W · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Thats the joy of spec build. Too much attempt to customize will result in a disaster. Me? I would get the stainless now!,

Save the customizing for post move in.

Or save$$$$ and adjust to the selection available. Anything else is a waste of time and to invite a major disaster

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Semi custom is not custom. Period :) my clients kitchen above was exactly that

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Joyful Hearts, were it me, in your situation, I'd choose one of the two options available through the cabinet company you are required to use via your builder primarily because the paint and finish will match, and it will be a simpler choice for you given you made the comment "If it was up to me I would have just bought a newly updated kitchen and move in where I didn’t have the choices." I don't think you'll be disappointed. Since I've not seen a posting regarding size, layout, or colors in you new kitchen, I'd recommend staying with the same color on the hood.

Jan, I agree semi-custom isn't custom. Understand many new to renovations don't know this, and are told by local cabinet companies that they offer fully custom cabinets... when in fact they are not. We ran into this many times before finding a true custom cabinet maker. Fortunately I'd joined GW and knew better.