0

Help me decide on Bluestar range

Sara
October 27, 2018

We are converting to natural gas with our remodel, and I think my range will be my big splurge. I love the look and what I've learned about Bluestar, but have a few questions from those with more experience.

1. Oven racks. This is the one area that I don't love the "feel" of when I'm in the showroom. They don't glide smoothly-kinda have to wrestle them out. What's your experience been?

2. Thinking of the 36" RNB. Was leaning towards 6 burner, but curious about the griddle. Those of you who have made that choice, are you happy with it?

3. How's the baking in the oven? I love to bake, but tend not to bake things that are particularly fussy. EG more bread and cake than fine pastries. How's the temperature control? Time to preheat?

4. Most important! :) Color! Our house was built in the 40s and we're trying to keep somewhat of the feel of the era in the kitchen. We currently have cream subway tile and matching painted cabinets. Sky blue ceiling. Bright rainbow Fiestaware. I am planning to stick with similar colored cabinets and tile in the remodel, and love the idea of a colored range. Green has always been my favorite color-obviously, worried about regretting the color in ten years. Thoughts? I know you can have the panels repainted....

• Jerry Jorgenson

I have a Bluestar wall-oven and a Wolf induction cooktop. This combination is so much better than a range because there is no bending over and the doors only stick out half as far. (Now I would purchase the Bluestar induction rather than the Wolf, but I did the kitchen remodel before the Bluestar induction was announced.)

I have no problem with the racks. One is on rollers, and the others are easy to move.

Kitchen · More Info

Baking is even. No worries on that.

Kitchen · More Info
    Kitchen · More Info
  • maire_cate

We've had a 30" Platinum for over a year. Now that DH is retired he's returned to his love of cooking. He bakes bread every week, and recently added pies and tarts to his routine. No problem with the oven racks or maintaining the set temperature. He especially loves the high BTU burner for wok cooking.

We didn't go with a color just the regular stainless for the range and Prizer hood.

• Sara
    Thanks! The models I’ve seen in the showroom didn’t seem to have a rack on rollers. Wall oven configuration won’t work in our kitchen, unfortunately. And love the amazing baking pics!
  • maire_cate

I have some to add;

• Terry S.

We have the 30" 4-burner Bluestar range (RNB 2012 model) for 6 years, so can't comment on griddle, but we love it, esp. for wok cooking and baking, the convection oven works great and my muffins, cakes and rolls seem to rise higher and faster than before, and bake evenly. Roasts great too. I have no trouble with the oven racks. I just set a portable digital timer for 10 min to preheat oven. I like that the range has minimal electronics that can go bad over time when exposed to such high heat. The cast-iron top, to me, is easy to clean as long as all pieces are seasoned. The pics below are from this month as we just did a kitchen refresh, and the 6-yr old range gets used a lot, but still looks great and works great.

Kitchen Refresh Fall 2018 · More Info

Kitchen Refresh Fall 2018 · More Info

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

Oven racks. This is the one area that I don't love the "feel" of when I'm in the showroom. They don't glide smoothly-kinda have to wrestle them out. What's your experience been?

I have a new 48" Bluestar range in our new house, and one rack is one rollers/glides and the other two aren't but aren't a problem. Definitely no wrestling.

Thinking of the 36" RNB. Was leaning towards 6 burner, but curious about the griddle. Those of you who have made that choice, are you happy with it?

No griddle. We figured the range would be more flexible without it. We have a separate griddle we use for pancakes, English muffins, etc.

How's the baking in the oven? I love to bake, but tend not to bake things that are particularly fussy. EG more bread and cake than fine pastries. How's the temperature control? Time to preheat?

The baking and temperature control are wonderful. I have Smitten Kitchen's Apple Sharlotka in the oven right now : ) .

Most important! :) Color! Our house was built in the 40s and we're trying to keep somewhat of the feel of the era in the kitchen. We currently have cream subway tile and matching painted cabinets. Sky blue ceiling. Bright rainbow Fiestaware. I am planning to stick with similar colored cabinets and tile in the remodel, and love the idea of a colored range. Green has always been my favorite color-obviously, worried about regretting the color in ten years. Thoughts? I know you can have the panels repainted....

Blue has always been my favorite color, and I also wanted the Bluestar to co-ordinate with the blue English transferware and Chinese export porcelain I collect, so mine is cobalt blue and I love it. It works with the kitchen and it's my favorite color, so I have no worries at all about regretting it. For me the trouble was picking just the right shade of blue!

By the way, my daughter and I are about 5'5", my husband and sons are all at least 6', and no-one has trouble using the ovens.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Sara
    Becky, thank you for the thorough response. I’m only 5’1” so should be even less of a problem for me. 48”!!! I envy that-our kitchen is not very big so no hope but it’s fun to dream. I love your strategy of matching to the china you love-maybe I’ll try to get closest to my favorite green fiesta dishes.

Trying some pics here-a quilt we have in our dining room, our ceiling, and some fiesta ware to give an idea. Nothing fancy /)

If you've loved Fiestaware for a long time, and will always love that quilt, I'm fairly certain you'll have no problem committing to a particular color for your Bluestar : ) .

• kuniewski

Hi Sara, like you I did A LOT of research prior to splurging on a Bluestar range. We received our range in January 2018 and I have to say it looked impressive. I was particularly excited about the red knobs I ordered with it (that never came). However, it was plagued with so many issues:

-burners didn't light or extinguish correclty

-oven door was very hot to touch

-it smelled of gas every time the oven was turned on

-fan rattled excessively

-the fit and finish was poor for an appliance in this price range

We brought up our concerns with Bluestar and we were assured there were no issues. Then they promptly stopped replying to emails and phone calls. Fast forward to September 2018 and our range exploded during pre-heating. Almost 10,000 ranges in Canada and the US have been recalled for unlit gas igniting causing explosions/ burns. Here are the notices.

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2018/67736r-eng.php

https://cpsc.gov/ja/Recalls/2018/Gas-Ranges-and-Wall-Ovens-Recalled-by-PrizerPainter-Stove-Works-Due-to-Burn-Hazard

• cookncarpenter

I've had my 36RNB for almost six years now and love it!
    I have the griddle and use it daily, often several times a day. In 40+ years of cooking on gas ranges, I've never had the need for more than 4 burners at once. The griddle is so versatile, pretty much anything that can be fried or grilled can be cooked on a griddle. I use mine like a short order cook would use a flat top at a diner. It also serves as a great place to slide a pot or pan to keep warm since it is thermostatically controlled. Excellent for warming tortillas or leftovers too!

• Sara
    Update! I pulled the trigger on a 36” range in May Green. Quoted 5-10 weeks and it arrived in three-and we are nowhere near ready for it yet. I haven’t seen it but they sent me a peak.
  • catinthehat

You are going to love that range! My bluestar is by far my most favorite part of my recent remodel. So much heat output, ovens preheat so quick, incredibly easy to clean given the entire top is cast iron with open burners. The collection tray on the bottom is such a great idea for the residential market, it’s a shame more companies don’t do it. Make sure a qualified person installs your range checks all the settings =). Mine was near perfect out of the box, but I did have to adjust the thermostat a bit to get it exactly right.

• vinmarks

I agree. You will be happy with the Bluestar. We've had ours for a year now and been very happy with it. Ours needed some adjusting out of the box and Bluestar sent someone to make all the adjustments.

The Bluestar made our holidays so much more enjoyable : ) . It was a delight to work with, and we were able to do so much more.

• Sara
    That is all exciting to hear! I keep thinking that however messy the remodeling process is, by next Christmas I’ll have a beautiful new kitchen and be cooking for the holidays on my new range.
  • Elizabeth M

Sara - I have the 30" RNB in a dark green color (as a fellow Fiesta lover, you will appreciate that my color is very close to Fiesta's Juniper - I color coordinated to make sure it all looked good with nearly every Fiesta color...LOL). I think you will your new BS. I love mine so so much! It is so fun to use.

• Sara
    Elizabeth, I love that. I actually took one of my plates in to match with the color samples. So glad I’m not the only one :)

Sara, I did that too, with one of my Spode Blue Italian plates lol.

• Cindy

When we replaced our range, we wanted open flame so Blue Star was on our list. After visiting the show room we ended up going with an American Range instead because the oven interior was better. No regrets- we've had it for I think 3 years now and I'm super happy with the ability to get the stove searing hot and to simmer. I can fit two half-sheet pans on one rack in the oven, and it bakes pretty evenly. So you might check it out.

• Sara
    Thanks Cindy. Mine is already purchased and is sitting in a warehouse so I’d better not find something I like better now :).
  • Sara
    I can’t wait!
  • maire_cate

How exciting. Any idea when it might be installed?

• Sara
    No. I can’t remember if I said earlier, but I ordered in December when they said it’d take 5-10 weeks. It came in two :/ so it’s still at the store’s warehouse-as you guys all probably understand, our remodel is behind schedule.
  • Sara
    Oops! I’d shared that above! Well, we finally met with our kitchen designer last night about some major changes in plans that I will be asking you all for advice on, so maybe we will get to that part of our remodel eventually.