woodsincity

Geum and Trollius

Maureen Gavin

I want to plant these in beds that are more shade than sun. In these beds Clethra ans Thalictum are quite happy. Has anyone had success with theses 2 beauties in shade? Zone 5

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

I grow Trollius in partial shade and moist soil. The moisture is important for these beauties. I have been impressed by their growth rate.

Geum can grow in light shade but I had mine in a sunnier spot.

Which ones did you get or are planning to get?

• Maureen Gavin

Thank You!

Geum Fuzzy Navel, Lady Stratheden,, Prairie Smoke, and Cherry Cordial.
    Love the seedheads

• aak4

I've had two Geums Tangerine in bright shade without any direct sun for four years and they bloom nicely for me in NH zone 5b

Maureen Gavin thanked aak4
  • ckerr007

We have geum triflorum and one other variety I’d have to check the tag on that are doing well and bloom in 4-5 hours of morning sun. So if that’s what you mean by more shade than sun it should work, any more shade I can’t speak to.

Maureen Gavin thanked ckerr007
  • ckerr007

Also we definitely are giving the geums more sun than our thalictrum which is in dappled sun / mostly shade and our clethra that gets maybe 2-4 hours of direct morning sun.

Maureen Gavin thanked ckerr007
  • mxk3

Trolllius "Golden Queen" is one my favorite spring bloomers. I have mine in partial shade, I'm not sure if they can take full sun. Definitely needs moist soil, even in shadier locations. They will start to crisp and eventually go dormant if the moisture level isn't to their liking -- yea, I had a few bare spots in the border this summer... If they're in a moist spot, though, the foliage is quite nice all season - deep green and interesting leaf shape, nice foil to silvery or brighter-toned foliage.

Maureen Gavin thanked mxk3