wantonamara

Is This Weeping Lovegrass?

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
last modified: November 7, 2018

I really like this grass. I am not sure where it came from . I might have collected its seed and grown it but It might have blown in on the wind. I have a lot of wind and fields out there. I am starting to think it might be Weeping Lovegrass AKA Eragrotus curvula. It is a pretty grass BUT INVASSIVE. I am not looking for another grass to war against. I already have cheat grass, KR bluestem and Johnston grass. What do you think. I can always replace it with a Muhlenbergia emersleyi

• Jay 6a Chicago

It's nice but I would still go with the Muhly.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)

It does look like Eragrostis curvula, which has leaves that attenuate into hair-like tips. That grass is very invasive in the southern half of the US, and is spreading northward.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex thanked jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have already pulled the seedbeds off of it. I hate digging up pretty things but , darn it, I guess it better go. It grows so well through the drought.Seems like I am attaining diversity amongst thugs.

• texasranger2

It looks like the dreaded love grass. If it makes you feel any better, its only pretty the first year. By year 2 it gets ratty looking. I tried lining them along the driveway just because it seemed easy (cheap solution from seed) but pulled them out pretty quick because the 3 I got the seeds from looked ugly when they got big. There's a gas station that mass planted them in a corner bed, year one looked nice---year 2----ugly with dead parts. The blooms stalks are messy looking in my opinion. Isn't it from Africa? I think it is.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex thanked texasranger2
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Yes,I really should yank it....tomorrow. I have some Stipa ichu to put in instead. Atleast I will be on the same hemisphere.