Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuniburn

HELP !! LIVING ROOM

zuniburn
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am in need of some Furniture advice. The gold fireplace insert will be replaced with a black insert or left open. Thanks in advance.

Comments (23)

• Jeanne Cardwell
    5 years ago
    Start by centering the rug.
  • Jeanne Cardwell
    5 years ago
    Beautiful room, you should post a floor plan and you will get some great ideas. Are you keeping the grey wall color? The only thing I don't like are the black strap hinges on the doors, too rustic for the room.
  • zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, we are keeping the grey ( SW Agreeable Grey) on the walls. I was also undecided on the hinges, thanks for your thoughts on those. I will try to post a layout and more pictures.

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Lil S
    5 years ago

Terrific room! Will this be the main living area? Will there be a tv?

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

Can you post dimensions? Also - re: the lower piece of molding that runs 3/4 of the room - I'd either remove it or paint it the color of the walls.

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lil S , No, this is not the main living room. We have no plans for a tv in this room, This is what most people call the " Formal Living Room". It's the first room you see when you enter the front door. I'm not a formal style person. I like a welcoming relaxed style.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Here's some inspiration from my favorite designer, Amber Interiors...

Here's (IMO) a great alternative to the gorgeous couches used in the inspo pics by SixPenny:

Hope this helps!

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Glo European Windows & Doors , I really like the these layouts !

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sammie J

Best I can do on room dimensions.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    5 years ago
    I like to work with graph paper when I am deciding on furniture size and placement. To me Scale is everything. I would put 2 large chairs in the bay with a side table between or maybe a desk and chair looking out the window or an upholstered bench.
    Then I would get a white or cream sofa facing the fireplace with large square coffee table in front. Maybe 2 chairs together on left of sofa and 2 to the right of the sofa.
    Again, first get your layout, then pick your upholstery. I like to pick out all the upholstered pieces at the same time so I don't paint myself into a corner!
    zuniburn thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Beautiful home, congratulations.

Your lovely rug is rippling.

Do you have the correct underpad that is appropriately sized?

zuniburn thanked loobab
  • PRO
    MIREWORKS
    5 years ago

according to the dimensions given i think you might have to move the focus to the long walls.

• Lil S
    5 years ago

MIREWORKS- There won't be a tv in this room, if that's what the furniture is facing in the above diagram.

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

loobab , We do not have a pad yet. I put the rug down to see if i like it in the room. That is on my shopping list :)

• loobab
    5 years ago

Oh the rug is perfect!!

As for furniture, how many people do you need seating for in the room?

Do you need to place a piano in the room?

What furniture do you already have that you are thinking you would like to put in the room in the way of tables, bureaus, secretaries, mirrors, paintings, etc?

What is your design style?

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

loobab , I have not purchased anything for this room as of yet. I was wanting to get some ideas on the layout and Furniture suggestions. I love warm and welcoming style's. Styles that say, come and and stay awhile. I would say I'm maybe transitional / boho.

• zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jeannecardwell , I like your idea of the couch facing the fireplace with the two chairs. Also, the two chairs at the bay window with the table in between them.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    5 years ago
    It makes sense to make the fireplace the focal point for the room and with your beautiful built ins decorated it will be stunning. I was originally thinking 2 pairs of chairs facing each other and the sofa facing the fireplace but if there's not enough room you could just do 2 flanking the fireplace. You need to either get some graph paper or learn to use an app on the computer for scale of furniture, openings to the room, etc.
    I've been playing with interior design since before computers (LOL) so I like moving paper furniture around a graph paper sketch of the room. Whatever your style, you need to figure out the layout first. Might want to think about a narrow credenza for your long wall as well.
    zuniburn thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • zuniburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I went online and have been playing around with some layouts. What colors would look good in the room ?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH