Software
Houzz Logo Print
lynh12

Sunroom Drapes?

7 years ago
Since I received so many great ideas on my living room I’m hoping for some help to decide how to hang drapes in my morning room/dining room.

Do I hang drapes below the transoms or above and then skip over the big curved window? Color ideas? Thanks for any help or ideas!

Comments (51)

  • 7 years ago
    I’m not attached to the cellular shades. Im considering drapes only because I feel like this room seems unfinished.
  • 7 years ago

    I would not hide those gorgeous windows. I'd probably replace the chairs as I don't find them comfortable but that's just me, the one who likes to linger at the table.

  • 7 years ago
    They are not comfortable whatsoever!! But honestly with two small kids I’m lucky if I ever get to sit and eat at all!
  • 7 years ago

    I hear you, that's why to this day I drink what I call mom-coffee. You know, the warm stuff you might get a sip of.

  • 7 years ago
    I don’t really want to cover them, just give them some dressing, sort of like this.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I would place panels between the windows with rods hung close to the join between wall and ceiling on the low sides and continuing at that level on the large window side.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would do solar shades to control heat and UV rays but no drapes at all and those silly little panels just look silly. It does not look like you need privacy so what purpose do you want to serve with the drapes.IMO there is no real space for actual drapes.

  • 7 years ago
    They don't look drape appropriate to me. I would prefer your cellular shades if you need privacy. Have you considered adding a hint of color to the walls instead ?
  • 7 years ago
    DON’T!!!!
  • 7 years ago
    I don’t need privacy as I mentioned, I just want to give the room a little personality. It seems like a white box to me. I do not want to cover the windows.
  • 7 years ago
    Lovely room! I'd paint the walls and ceiling, change the table runner to something with pattern and colors, buy leather chairs in a color that match the new table runner and new wall colors.
  • 7 years ago
    Gill Eggleston "Kalahari" Table Runner, 16"x90" · More Info
  • 7 years ago
    Gill Eggleston "Barengo Sunshine" Table Runner, 16"x90" · More Info
  • 7 years ago
    Danny Ivan "Matias Girl" Table Runner, 16"x90" · More Info
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The rug looks too short for the table. If your rug was bigger you could add two comfy end chairs. Get a colorful indoor/outdoor rug to give the room some zip and you won't miss the drapes.

    Add another large plant in the left corner.

    The two little fabric sashes you have hanging on your windows now are NOT adding to the ambiance.


  • 7 years ago
    The last one provides the most options in wall and chair color. A rug with matching color (s) could help too.
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas. It’s not in the budget to replace every single thing in the room right now, I wish! This is what the room looked like before we moved in and was too traditional. I’m more modern. I did not like the dark walls or accent drapes.
  • 7 years ago

    You made some huge improvements!

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks! I literally painted every wall in this house. It was a rainbow and made my head hurt!
  • 7 years ago
    Without the accents. Too white for me.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I would take down blinds. Do a beautiful sheer. Run the rod approx 10" above windows. Also, on each side of arched window.
    Do open and close. I'd use a 2" track, have the drapes made pleated, tacked at the top ( gives it a much more updated look.) The tracks I use are amazing. The drapes glide beautifully...
  • 7 years ago
    How about roman shades on the side windows leaving the back windows uncovered? There are so many pretty fabrics and the neatness of roman shades appeals to my modern taste. It would also give you flexibility in how much fabric you reveal.
  • 7 years ago
    I think I like the idea of fabric Roman shades on the side in case I want to close. I think bamboo is good but the natural rug might compete with that.
  • 7 years ago
    Wow that is really pretty! I never thought to put the curtain rod up that high!
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Drapes are too complicated for a sunroom IMO. Shades, shutters, blinds etc.



  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yes complicated , I agree. But what a gorgeous arched window. You want it to pop up. Take a simple curtains. Sun room now works as dining. Shades will be nice too.

  • 7 years ago
    I’d consider painting the window frames black or a dark charcoal. It would showcase the view while breaking up all the white.
  • 7 years ago
    Hi Beverly in the picture you posted there are little curtains in the corners, I like those too! I’m considering fabric Roman shades on the side windows
  • 7 years ago
    If you need to control sunlight, light-filtering shades come in many opacity percentages and would work. They can be see-through to whatever degree you want. If direct sunlight is a problem (you didn’t say which direction the room faces, but a “morning room” would usually face east), you may have the shades closed in the morning until the sun is no longer shining into the room. Of course, once the trees have filled out in the spring, shades may be unnecessary while the trees block the direct sunlight .
  • 7 years ago
    If you do a photo search on Houzz “Sunroom with drapes” you will see different ideas. Your Palladian window makes your room a bit more challenging.
    In my previous house, my office had a center Palladian window with side windows. My designer put a thin rod under the curved window, at the top of the side windows. (“In your room, under the transom and Palladian window.);The fabric was neutral and airy but not sheer. I liked it a lot but I didn’t have nearly as many windows nor the transom features.
    Your room is gorgeous. I’d dress up the floor, table, etc. before spending $$$ on drapes.
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks, I really like my table and natural rug so I won’t be replacing those. I like these ideas.
  • 7 years ago



    Unless you need light control or privacy then the windows speak for themselves. You'd do better with your money to spend it on making the room look great by adding a colorful rug that gives your eyes something to really see. Like art for the floor since you have no wall space for art.
    A centerpiece for the table.






  • 7 years ago
    Thoughts on this rug? I had it in my living room from another design dilemma!
  • 7 years ago
    Why oh why do you have to cover the view? Why do you feel compelled to hide nature? Why spoil a beautiful room with drapes, shades or other trappings of man? Leave well enough alone and take down the shades.
  • 7 years ago
    Hi, there is a house pretty close to the left side of our house, which is the only reason for those shades, which are mainly only closed at night! I do not want to cover the view of the back. Thanks for the input everyone, my most recent comment was only due to the new rug.
  • 7 years ago
    What a gorgeous room! I have no idea what you should do. I would look at photos on Houzz to see what others have done. I think the drapes make it look more formal and traditional. If that is what you want then do those???? I see your reasoning for needing something on the left side there. Sometimes practicality has to win out. Interested to see what you do with this beautiful space. Oh--I do like the red rug and with some things on the table to go with it I think it could work--and it is free since you have it. More $ to do window coverings. Good luck!
  • 7 years ago
    New chairs and new colorful rug and you will be done. The outdoor view is enough Window dressing.
  • 7 years ago

    I prefer the natural fiber rug! Very pretty room with or without drapes. I do like celerygirls vision.

  • 7 years ago
    Ideas
  • 7 years ago
    Follow
  • 7 years ago

    Even though you already own it, the red rug seems kind of harsh for that room. Something with more colors of nature seem better for a sunroom.


  • 7 years ago

    I already switched it! Darn it that red rug doesn't work anywhere :( It is so pretty in person!

  • 7 years ago
    I would like some sort of window treatment if only because they “warm up” a room. That, and also because I feel as though I’m in a fish bowl when I have that many bare windows and no drapes.
  • 7 years ago

    I feel the same way Melissa! When I go in that room at night and can't see anything but black windows everywhere (starting at 5pm these days!) it really bothers me.

  • 7 years ago
    There’s also the possibility of “going with” the arch in the center window. The photo isn’t the same case, but you get the idea.
  • 7 years ago

    I know every window expert (of which I am not) tells you to put the drapes as high as possible. But I ahd this palladian window situation and putting the drapes at the molding on the rectangular windows might work. I am terrible at mocking things up, so maybe someone can try it for you here.

    That way, you get sunlight but don't have to deal with those "black holes" at night. I understand that feeling.

    Sorry about the red rug in the room. It IS fabulous, but it needs a home in another room in your house....

  • 7 years ago
    I have heard the solution to the black hole dilemma is exterior downlighting. Not inexpensive but might be worth exploring for another time.
  • 7 years ago
    I took a risk buying these drapes online. Honestly I love the way they look! It makes the room feel so exciting and I am happy every time I look at them. It doesn’t block the view at all! Thanks for the help everyone.
  • 7 years ago

    Lynh12, you can't ask for more than that from drapes! I agree they look great.