0
Find the right pro for your project

The Alnwick rose VS Abraham Darby

Cyrine ( Mediterranean sea-Zone 10 b)
last modified: November 18, 2018

I own an Abe rose tree which doing poorly now since it's in pot, and I totally neglect him, however I get regularly magnificiant buds.. Things will change in the future since I'm preparing a spot for him in my yard..

A friend introduced me to the Alnwick, and I'm a bit confused, the roses shape remind me of the peonies that I can never grow since I live in mediterranean region ( zone 10b and co), but the colour sound a bit like Abe, at least in the photos that I saw , I have already many roses in the pink tones, Eden rose , a Damascus rose very fragrant, so I'm a bit afraid that it will look like a déjà vu type of rose especially with my other roses.

What do you guys think ? Do any of you have both roses, if yes I'd like to see pics of them if you don't mind :)

• Krista_5NY

I don't grow Abraham Darby, but do grow Alnwick.

It's a light pink with a hint of peach to the color. Usually the blooms are a cup shape, but can sometimes open up to more of a flat shape.

The fragrance is very strong and sweet with a hint of fruit; it's a fine fragrance.

The plants are upright and compact.

Alnwick is on the right

Cyrine ( Mediterranean sea-Zone 10 b) thanked Krista_5NY
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

That is a beautiful rose

The color seems less peachy than Abe

Cyrine ( Mediterranean sea-Zone 10 b) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I grow both. Abe generally is peachier than the Alnwick. Abe blooms way more. Abe is bigger whereas Alnwick stays a smaller bush. The Alnwick blooms only last a day then blow in hot weather which is most the year here. As others noted, the Alnwick blooms are cupped shaped so a totally different look than Abe. Abe has way bigger blooms.

Abe..in a peach mood

Abe... in a pink mood

Alnwick..

Cyrine ( Mediterranean sea-Zone 10 b) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

sultry, seeing your beautiful photos makes me very happy that I have Abe again, although it has yet to bloom. Honestly, Alnwick looks very delightful too, but in my climate the flowers would not last.

• Cyrine ( Mediterranean sea-Zone 10 b)

thank you everyone, I think I'm gonna go for another DA rose rather than the Alnwick, I'm planning to get a lady Emma Hamilton since I don't have any rose in the yellow-ish, orange tones

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

That sounds like a good choice. I have seen some stunning pictures of her

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thanks Ingrid, you're so sweet :)