Software
Houzz Logo Print
neko82

How to update this kitchen?

7 years ago
I can’t decide if I should paint the kitchen cabinets. The condition is still very good but I really want a more modern look. I just have no idea what colors to use to tie in the orangey wood floors and tan countertops (don’t want to change them due to cost). I don’t like the dark espresso colors because I want to keep the space light and bright. And my husband don’t want to do white. Any recommendations and ideas?? Thank you!!

Comments (23)

  • 7 years ago

    everything is light colored - light floor, light wood cabinets, light counter material. If the floors and cabinets are in good condition, I would simply change the counter tops to something darker (and possibly that would mean changing the backsplash). You need some contrast in there.

  • 7 years ago
    I would also replace your stools.
  • 7 years ago

    Nice kitchen.


    Cabinets appear to still be in good shape so I'd not replace them unless they truly need to be changed..


    Would change the kitchen faucet to one with more arc.


    Would seriously consider changing the countertops to a less busy pattern of Corian -- perhaps a solid color ... even a solid black could work with your light cabinets.


    https://www.weharlem.com/beautiful-black-corian-kitchen-countertops/black-corian-kitchen-countertops-elegant-inspirational-solid-color-granite-countertops-trend/


    Would keep the same kind of backsplash -- not cover the entire area between the countertop and overhead cabinets w/tile.


    Would consider new lighting, perhaps curved LED track lights.




    Would paint the walls after the new countertop material is chosen.

  • 7 years ago
    I agree with AC LB. In addition, you could change the hardware to a rubbed bronze for some contrast, and if your still not satisfied, paint only the island a fun accent color.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Your kitchen looks pretty darn good. Painting the cabinets and changing our hardware would freshen them up and provide some contrast with the floors (which look great btw!). I agree with one of the respondents here - painting the island a different color would provide even more contrast. I would suggest paring down the plants and knick-knacks above the cabinets. Sometimes less really is more. Good luck!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yes to removing everything on top of the cabinets. Not only does it make clutter and draw dust, everything up there leans traditional, not modern.

    Yes to replacing the bar stools that are a size that better suits that space...something that tucks all the way underneath please.

    Yes to getting rid of the 4” splash if possible and replacing with tile.

    Yes to changing the hardware to something with more contrast. Black or ORB come in modern designs too like this

    You have a wide expanse of wood and black and white that you can use as a blank slate. Bring in some color and personality with area rugs, a runner in front of the sink, and art for the walls.

  • 7 years ago

    Changing the backsplash is a good idea and removing the stuff on top of cabinets as they draw the eye up. As for backsplash no white subway. You can get subway in other colors so consider picking a color in the countertop. If replacing do the entire area including behind the stove as the SS stands out a little much. Adding new hardware like mentioned above is also a nice touch. Overall you have a very nice kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    Mostly agree with previous sentiments, but if you are set on painting the cabinets, I'd consider either a nice cream (look at flecks in the counters) or perhaps a sage green.

  • 7 years ago

    For sure get rid of the clutter above the cabinets.

    If you want to spend some money, get rid of the 4" backsplash and replace with something more contemporary. You can also swap out the faucet and hardware for not much money.

    If you are okay spending a bit more, I'd replace the counters too. If you did the counters and backsplash and hardware, you can get another 10 years out of this kitchen with it looking quite up to date (assuming the condition is good). If you just do the backsplash, it will feel more like a bandaid solution until you eventually update. The amount of money/effort i put in would depend on how long you plan to go before fully updating the kitchen. If you're thinking up doing a full gut in five years, i wouldn't bother spending too much. But as said, i don't think you need to gut in 5 years - you can get at least 10 if you spend a bit now.

  • 7 years ago
    These look like listing photos. Are you selling? If so, just clean off cabinets and make sure everything is spotless and do no more than that.
  • 7 years ago
    Also, remove the changing table on the wall...
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would leave the cabinet color and change a few other elements of the kitchen to help the orange-y look and "modernize" your kitchen. I know the counters are in great condition, but I would change out the countertops before I would refinish the cabinets. I would also update the backsplash and remove the stainless steel accent. Plus, new stools and hardware, as suggested above.

    Saw this kitchen and it reminded me of yours, with the updates suggested...



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you so much for all the comments!! Sorry I forgot to add all the furnishings in the photos are not mine and are from the seller. I just recently purchased this home! I think you guys convinced me to not paint the cabinets! love the backsplash and hardware ideas!

  • 7 years ago

    Hi! I think your kitchen has lovely wood in a nice lighter color. I would remove the deco items from up above as modern is more minimalist. Consider removing the crown up there as that adds a traditional element (I would store it in garage/storage area in case you want to add back). Change the hardware to something more straight lined. The window treatment maybe can go too.

    Color will help. Your space does seem to suffer as it is monochromatic except for the appliances. In your position I would remove the short backsplash. I am in the rare camp of you do not need a tiled backsplash so use washable paint and use that on all walls. Blue or green with natural maple helps cut down on the warmth overload. Painting the cabinets for longevity is very costly but a new counter could be less so if you do decide to spend some money. Laminate counters might be nice budget solution and there are a ton of options. I will see if I can hunt down some pics ;-) Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

  • 7 years ago

    not this


    Kitchens · More Info

    or this


    Contemporary Tiburon home · More Info

    BUT

    maybe blueish (a blue gray)

    Contemporary Maple Kitchen · More Info


    Seattle City View · More Info

    greens


    Brookline Kitchen Renovation · More Info


    Full Home Cabinets & Countertops - Big Mountain, Whitefish · More Info

  • 7 years ago

    Under cabinet lighting, modern hardware, and rippled tile backsplash would look great.


    Kitchen · More Info



    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info


    Breckenridge Vacation Home- Kitchen · More Info



  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Your kitchen looks good, just move everything from the top please.

  • 7 years ago

    Really like your "red dot" wall art.

  • 7 years ago

    What is the weird stainless steel thing under the red dot art in the 1st pic?

  • 7 years ago
    Gurukaram, pretty sure it’s a changing table. Bizarre!
  • 7 years ago
    Gurukaram, its a changing table!
    All the furnishings shown are from the original seller and will all be gone! :)

    Thanks so much for all the responses!! I’m so thankful for all the suggestions! I like the idea of removing the short backsplash and putting a new one in. We plan on DIY and just don’t know if we should remove that silver plate thing on the wall over the stove (and if it can be diy). We plan on painting the island only to add contrast and definitely not paint the whole kitchen anymore. We are still not sure what colors though! That’s our weakest part!
  • 7 years ago
    A changing table in the kitchen? Convenient, but yuck! That’s some bad feng shui! Kind of like having a snack in the toilet - just wrong.

    Luckily all of the stuff on top of the cabinets will be gone - please resist the urge to put anything up there. I would consider taking out the short backsplash and stainless one too and replacing with a colored tile. A subway sized glass tile would be cool. Under cabinet lighting too if there is not any.