Software
Houzz Logo Print
koukla76

Pinterest depresses me! I want to remodel all over again!

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So I remodeled my kitchen 10 years ago and this is what I have



But Go on Pinterest and I wanna remodel all over again I don’t like what I have and now I want this!




My husband said he’s not remodeling the kitchen again until at least another 8-10 years nd I’m crazy, does anyone else get depressed over Pinterest and regret their design choices?! I hate the fact that Pinterest didn’t exist back when I remodeled!!

Comments (37)

  • 7 years ago
    With the exception of the countertop, you can come close by changing the light fixture, the faucet and the cabinet pulls.
  • 7 years ago

    Making you dissatisfied with your life so that you will spend money is what marketing is designed to do. Resist the brainwashing. Get off of Pinterest. Save your money.


    Or find something better to spend it on. The local Angel Tree from the Salvation Army could have all of their kids on the tree funded for what you would spend redoing a perfectly fine kitchen. And you'd be happier with yourself spending it for that as a result.

  • 7 years ago

    Making you dissatisfied with what you have is the whole point of Pinterest. Resist!

  • 7 years ago

    PS Your kitchen looks great!

  • 7 years ago

    If you are depressed looking at pinterest kitchens that just shows that you haven’t defined your own style and are relying instead on the latest trends.

  • 7 years ago

    You have a great kitchen. Black counters are still being used. You could make some small changes like your light fixtures and backsplash and it would give the space a whole new feel.

    Personally, I think you are drawn to the airiness of the Pinterest kitchens because all the black makes yours feel “heavier.” Minimize the black in your kitchen (new backsplash and different stools) and you’ll feel a lot better :)

  • 7 years ago

    Hi. Stop looking at pinterest!! :) So, just kidding. Your kitchen is lovely-- you've really done a great job and created a timeless style. However, I totally understand that you want to change up a few things, but you don't need a major renovation.


    I have just completed a reno of a home built in 1968 that I seriously doubt had anything done to it in the last 50 years :)


    Nonetheless, the biggest improvements were:


    New light fixtures! They totally changed the look of the house and made it lots brighter. There are so many new kinds of lighting, undercabinet, puck lights, rope lights, modern fixtures. I think if you change your chandelier and add some additional lighting, you'll see your kitchen in a whole new light :)


    If I were to do anything else in the kitchen if the lighting changes weren't enough, it would be to change the backsplash to something lighter.


    And as an aside, I seriously loved those brass pulls in your inspiration photo-- but I went and looked at them in person and frankly, not so much! I went with really minimal pulls on base cabinets (and spray painted the rest!) and it looks totally different.


    Your kitchen is beautiful!! Be happy!

  • 7 years ago
    Remove your heavy black backsplash and add can lights. That will go a long way!
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I would tear out the counters and backsplash, and leave everything else (OK, the pendant light can go too). Cabinets are the biggest cost by far in a kitchen remodel, so leave the cabinets and appliances alone. Perhaps your husband would be OK with that. It would make a huge difference. If that is a no-go, then how about just new backsplash and pendant light?

  • 7 years ago

    You just need better lighting in your kitchen!!! It's very nice otherwise.

  • 7 years ago

    You have a very classy kitchen. Maybe stay off Pinterest?

  • 7 years ago

    Some great suggestions here. Your current kitchen is beautiful. If your budget doesn't allow any changes, try looking only at Pinterest kitchens that have light cabinets and dark counters. Avoid all white kitchens. It's like giving up refined sugar - eventually the craving goes away.

  • 7 years ago

    I'd change the backsplash,lighting and stools to refresh the space....or maybe I would just be Thankful for my pretty kitchen and have some friends in to yack about social media :-) You are right that all the marketing makes you want to change things,consume more,consume differently blahdiblah...but don't get on that hamster wheel.

  • 7 years ago

    If Pinterest was around 10 years ago, your kitchen would have looked exactly like it does now. If you remodel now, 10 years from now you’ll hate it again and want it to look like whatever the latest trend is.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks everyone, staying off of Pinterest is smart! And you’re right if i had Pinterest 10 years ago i would have picked the same thing! this Kitchen is actually very bright and gets a lot of light, hard to the tell in the pic. Since it was taken in the evening. I actually love the chandelier still , but maybe changing lighting down the road will work. Also i feel like adding can lights will be hard (wouldn’t that entail ripping up the ceiling?) not sure. I do still like a pendant light over the sink, i am open to finding a new pendant that may match the existing Chandelier? i haven’t found one that I’ve loved yet. The chandelier was quite expensive, i have a hard time letting it go, but maybe it’s an option. I’m torn. I am open to new stools.

    I’m not ripping out the backsplash, not even an option. I think new trends are just designed to make you feel bad! ugh lol

  • 7 years ago

    I’ve been looking at these stools actually


  • 7 years ago

    You have a nice kitchen! Learn to be happy with what you have and resist the urge to chase trends, as Cpartist and Live Wire Oak said.

    Also, keep in mind that the Pinterest picture has been brightened drastically.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you zmith! Is that true?! They brighten the pictures?!

  • 7 years ago

    Uh, yah!!! Houzz pictures are brightened as well to give the illusion of a cheery, bright space, and to make us all feel like our kitchens aren't bright enough.

  • 7 years ago

    FC step away from the stools. They are not substantially different from what you have. What you have suits the space. If you must play around with this kitchen, focus on the chandelier.

  • 7 years ago

    Ok thank you Rita! Actually ty everyone! I love this forum

  • 7 years ago

    Your kitchen is fabulous! Be grateful that you were able to even do your original remodel (says the one sitting here with a 20 year old kitchen).

  • 7 years ago

    FC, i hope you feel better now. Its good to share angst... just typing it out helps me even when I don't hit submit.


    (If I bought your house, I'd change the light fixture. the rest, good to go for a long time.)

  • 7 years ago

    I do feel better now ty! Pinterest is the devil

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    No harm collecting "inspiration" pictures for when you actually can re-do your kitchen - it will avoid serious, experience mistakes. Just don't make yourself miserable about it. I waited almost 32 years to finally re-do my kitchen. It was worth the wait.

  • 7 years ago

    Your kitchen is beautiful and classic and elegant. I'd take it over the pinterest kitchen anyday. I love your curved island counter. You certainly don't need new lighting, what you have is lovely, but by all means get new lighting if it makes you happy.

  • 7 years ago
    Comparison is the thief of joy -Theodore Roosevelt
  • 7 years ago
    But really, Pinterest is great but like others said, change out some items you can more easily update for a fresh kitchen :)
  • 7 years ago

    As much as I love Pintrest it has caused me to have decision paralysis!!! I love all the pretty kitchens and have no idea what my style is. So I am almost 3 years in with a started but unfinished kitchen. (and a very displeased husband) I think you did a wonderful job designing a timeless kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    I would update the lighting and then if you are still not happy, consider changing the backsplash. Your kitchen is nice.

  • 7 years ago

    The problem isn't Pinterest, it's you :)


    Want and greed and envy and all that.


    Hu200

  • 7 years ago

    So I think I’m going To eventually switch out the lighting but that would entail changing my dining room chandelier as well so it all be cohesive ( dining room and kitchen are very open to each other so they either have to be similar lines or the same chandelier ) so that can be my future project! tearing out the backsplash is a nonnegotiable it’s custom-made and granite all the way up (I actually love my backsplash) i think an eventual lighting change is the way to go. I’ll keep my eye out on finding the perfect lighting. Ty everyone !

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Redoing a 10-year old kitchen is really wasteful. I agree with your husband, and would leave it alone. The kitchen is a work room, not a status symbol. Maybe stop the Pinteresting and do more cooking in the kitchen???!!!!

  • 7 years ago
    Pinterest is evil! Lol, I know where you're coming from. It's easy to go on there and drool over all of the fantasy homes and then that makes us dissatisfied with our own living space. I like the above suggestion about changing out the backsplash and you could get some nice pulls for your cupboards as well. Sometimes small changes are just the thing to refresh a space you spend a lot of time in.
    Your kitchen really is lovely :)
  • 7 years ago

    I see hints of more ornate-style furniture in your kitchen photo (the chandy, the curvy dining chair, the heavy stools). Those would not work in your inspiration photo kitchen, so try exchanging them to something lighter. How about a window covering similar to the one in your inspiration photo?

  • 7 years ago
    I agree with a couple of the other folks above. Replaced the island countertop with something light. Change out the chandelier and the barstools. Done!