Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline1217

Kitchen Island Design Help

Cathy Sanderson
5 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen, including replacing appliances/cabinets/countertops, but most importantly, are trying to solve a tricky layout. I'm attaching a photo of the current kitchen and two alternatives to the weird peninsula. And, YES, the pole has to stay - it includes essential heating/cooling stuff - that's what we have to work around. Anyone think one of these two designs is better (one has seating for three, and a bigger island, but we lose space in the kitchen). Thoughts welcome!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

What is the entire area looks like and what are the dimensions there. If there is enough room that island can work really nice while incorporating that column into design.

Was this design done by Builders General in Long Branch? The name of the designer is familiar, if it's the same Jennifer that I'm thinking about, she is very good.

• Cathy Sanderson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

The whole idea of an island/penninsula is wrong for this kitchen that's why it's not working. A regular U-shaped kitchen (aka closing in that opening by the fridge) would work far better. Move the fridge to the sink side, close up the opening with lower cabinets and then you have an overhang on the living room (i think) side to eat at if you want.

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

Please stop trying to make your kitchen into the island/peninsula "model". Kitchens are all about usable work space & easily accessed storage as decoenthusiaste & sina suggest.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Need more info, & photos of be objective.

• Cathy Sanderson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Cathy Sanderson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here is the floor plan and new view - we don’t need storage as there is a walk-in pantry. We do need counter space for meal prep. Thoughts welcome!

• PRO
    Coconut.home
    5 years ago

Well both versions take up too much space in small kitchen... but between that two options personally believe that 2nd fits better. You can always put hanging shelf on wall and pillar, choosing style suits the best for your needs. Also "console worktops" will get you more space if it's needed.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Based on the floor plan and the few pix you've shown, I would consider flipping the living and dining areas. The dining area is much more conducive to entertaining with all the light. Decked out like a sunroom, it will be a real draw to guests, and because of all the windows/sliders it will feel larger than the living space that is closed off. I also don't like the idea of walking through the living room to get to the pantry, but that would be acceptable for a dining room. Entering the house via the dining room is not unheard of, and I think you should consider it. Meanwhile, to help you decide between #1 or 2 on your illustrations, tape out those shapes on the floor. That will help see how much floor space you'll lose. But to understand how much volume they'll take up, get some appliance boxes (should be an easy thing to do this time of year) and cut them into the shapes of the cabinets you're considering. Since work surface is your issue, I think #2 is the best option of the two. I can envision a look like this in the new living space.

Sunroom Serenity · More Info

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

so, others can see it better

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Is this the current layout of kitchen?

It's kind of hard figuring out what's behind the barrier. Can you please illustrate the floor plan with some measures more?

any more photos of space from different views available?

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

out of the 2 proposed plans, option 2 is more useable counter space.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    5 years ago

option 2, but my first choice is what decoenthusiaste & sina suggested.

• Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

I would go with option 1. I assume you are NOT changing flooring and that you are space challenged in the living room.