Software
Houzz Logo Print
itistime2015

New Home Entry Way Help

7 years ago
What can I put on this wall? I had an idea of getting a sign that says kindly remove your shoes but haven’t done it yet because I feel I could do something else but at a loss.

Anyone have ideas on what I can put in this wall when you walk into our new home? Here are some pictures.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    That’s a good idea but we do have the coat closet right behind it. Any other ideas? Maybe some wall decor?
  • 7 years ago
    I’d get some kind of cute console table to put there instead of a shoe rack. Lots of wasted space. Maybe a bench instead.

    Is yours a shoe free house? I’d look for some art or something to put there. Not a fan of a sign saying to take shoes off, seems redundant at best.
  • 7 years ago

    That shoe rack looks dwarfed. How about something larger to fill up the space?



  • 7 years ago
    Yes it’s a shoe free house. Yes the shoe rack is small. I now have a few ideas. Thank you! :)
  • 7 years ago

    If you're going to make people take off their shoes, it would be nice to give them a place to sit down to do so. Signs are kind of rude IMO. Art or a mirrow (for an entry way) would be better.


  • 7 years ago
    We have chairs for them to sit. This is standing by front door. I think I’ll do some art and find a show can I eat that looks like furniture.
  • 7 years ago

    If you want them to take their shoes off at the door, then give them a stool or bench to sit on right at the door to do so. Older people or people with various physical challenges need the support.

  • 7 years ago
    take a look
  • 7 years ago
    I meant find a shoe rack that looks like furniture.
  • 7 years ago

    Even with the coat closet right there, I'd still put in a hall tree with a bench and shoe stowage there. It's generally rude for a guest to be opening closed doors in your house without your permission, so it's a good idea to provide them with a hall tree or coat rack so they don't have to ask you where to hang their coat.


    Also, if you have a no-shoes house, do you want your guests (or family members) to be going into the living room with their shoes on just so they can have a place to sit to take their shoes off? That's not intuitive. If you have your hall tree bench and shoe stowage right there at the entrance, it's a very clear signal that you need to take your shoes off, and any polite learned houseguest will do so without bidding. Much more effective than a condescending little sign or you standing around to remind them to take their shoes off.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    A piece like this if you're wanting it to serve as a place to take off shoes.



    Nessa Oak and Black iron Entry Bench · More Info

    You could also, do the more traditional slim entry console with a mirror, or artwork hung above



    How to Style an Entry, or Console · More Info