Software
Houzz Logo Print
elaine86music

What to do with this built in bookcase in family room?

7 years ago

Trying to decide if we should remove this bookcase or try painting it. If we remove it, we will have to try and match the wainscoting and trim, not sure how difficult that will be. If we paint it, still not sure it would look good. The wall it is on is 16 feet, the bookcase is 8.5 feet in total length, not centered on the wall. We are refurnishing the whole room and re-staining the hardwood floors.

Thank you



Comments (37)

  • 7 years ago
    i think it looks really good and if the colors don't march paint it
  • 7 years ago

    I suppose the first question is do you need the storage? If you don't have that many books, my experience is it just ends up being filled simply for the sake of it. Taking it out gives you more flexibility in how you arrange the rest of the furniture. It is hard to tell from the photos, but it doesn't look as though there is coving around the rest of the ceiling, so you won't need to match that up. I assume the floor underneath is still in tact.

  • 7 years ago

    If you keep it, paint it.

    It almost looks good but not quite--looks a little kitchen cabinety, especially the chunk that sticks out. It just doesn't seem to be the same level of quality as the rest of the room, from what I can tell.

    How about pulling it out and replacing it with a nicer builtin? I guess you checked behind it to see if the wainscoting continues?

  • 7 years ago

    Well,now before you refinish the floors is the best time to remove it. The expense of doing so is probably about the same as having it painted to a high standard.

  • 7 years ago

    Yeah, if you're having a floor pro in, they can patch anything.

  • 7 years ago

    I'll decide for you. It needs to go. You'll be so much happier :)

  • 7 years ago

    I really don't need the storage and am stumped what to do with it, even if we do paint it. So, I am happy to have it removed. Then Question number 2: Should I try and have the wainscoting trim matched up on that wall (there is none behind the bookcase), or just remove it from the whole room? Is that a dated look?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    If you paint be sure that it's prepped properly and pay more for a good conversion varnish finish so your not disappointed. A painted finishes cost more that stain and a good painted finish cost even more but worth. wr

  • 7 years ago

    Even if you take it out, I don't think you will gain anything in arranging the furniture in that room. The double doors are right there so you won't be able to place furniture there. In your picture you have a traffic path from the door between the built in and the back of the sofa. I think it looks nice.

    I can't imagine not needing storage!

    Wainscoting has been around forever and won't ever be dated. It is traditional however, so if you are trying to modernize your decor, you could take it out. I think you need to consider the cost of these changes and whether or not the result will be worth it to you.

  • 7 years ago

    I tend to remove wainscoting and chair rails and anything like that whenever I have the chance but is probably more to do with my taste/preference than trend or what is dated or not. I just prefer the cleaner, simpler look.

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Fori-it does look a bit more..generic that the rest of the room

    But as I also can't imagine not needing storage lol..also storage can be different..maybe it's not books but collections..and I think it's situated well, in the room..I'd paint it..and I'd change hardware to more sophisticated one (doesn't have to be expensive, just more interesting)

    On the left, one can put a small plant, an interesting lamp(oh I see you have one)..art..sculpture..vase..

    I'd paint it professionally, to make sure the result is good, but I'm not a good DIY-er, at all.

    Wainscoting has nothing to do with being dated or not..it has to do with the style of the house, and your own preferences. Your house seems to be faily traditional, I can imagine wainscoting makes sense there and elevates it.

    Traditional is a huge umbrella for multitude of styles, so there are very few things that decidedly wouldn't work with it.

    If you decide to remove the shelves -I'd leave the wainscoting and try to match this wall.

    Does the clock stay?

  • 7 years ago

    No, the clock is going! Along with everything else in the room. The cabinets are full of papers and junk, but that could easily be moved to another room. I am very challenged when it comes to trying to decorate empty shelves like that, I have no idea what I would put there, we don't really have any books to display. If we removed it, I would probably place a narrow table there with lamps and some art above it?

  • 7 years ago

    here's another photo:


  • 7 years ago

    A narrow table with lamps would be very nice. Or a console-type thingy so you can stuff your papers back into it.

    I think the first step would be to see if you can find compatible moldings to continue the wainscoting, which is always nice in a room like that and never out of style.

    I wonder if you could find a nice console/table/low cabinet that is exactly 8.5 feet long to replace the bookcase in the same footprint without trying to match the wainscoting. The wall and ceiling are going to need some touchup anyway.

  • 7 years ago

    I like it less with the front-on shot. Start molding shopping. :)

  • 7 years ago

    Before you decide to remove the chair rail, I would see if I can get the same...it goes with your beautiful door and your fireplace..and would cost nothing to find out.


    The bookcase takes away from the door, imho...


    I also would have a narrow console table and art. But sometimes, you have to take the first step before you see what the next one will be....

  • 7 years ago

    I vote remove it..

  • 7 years ago

    Given the style of the fireplace and other trim in the house, I would keep the wainscoting. It's traditional, not dated.


    That said, I think taking out the bookcase is going to be a PITA and more expensive than it probably sounds. You'll need to add the wainscoting and chair rail, which probably means custom millwork. I can't tell exactly what is going on with the ceiling from the pics, but it looks like removing the bookcase and crown molding could result in needing ceiling fixes. Plus the floor. You'll need to paint the wall, wainscoting, and ceiling, and if you can't match the paint, that means repainting the whole room.


    If you are up for the expense and disruption of all that go for. If it were me, I don't dislike the bookshelf enough to bite off that project.


    I may not dislike it "that much", but don't really like the bookshelf, particularly the "desk" section and the unsupported overhanging cabinet. I want it to look like a hutch, not like wall-hung cabinetry. If it were me, rather than take it out, I would see if I could modify that end of the bookcase. Reduce the depth of the "desk" section (keep the doors but get new shallower cabinets to match the depth of the rest of the unit), and install either an end panel or a column between the low cabinet top and upper cabinet to visually support the upper cabinet (i.e. make it look more like a hutch). All that is probably less expensive than the work I described above, and definitely less disruptive.


  • 7 years ago

    I'd remove the recessed side on the right and wall mount TV there. Then use the other side as a wine, liquor or coffee bar. The rearrange the seating appropriately.

  • 7 years ago

    I guess that could be a 3rd option: Leave the bottom cabinets and just remove the top cabinets? Then we wouldn't have to try to match the wainscoting or worry about the hardwood floors underneath.


  • 7 years ago

    Before I removed it, I'd try painting it to match your trim and see what you think. When it's gone, I can imagine you coming back...what can I do with this blank wall? ;-)

  • 7 years ago

    If this existed prior to you being in the home, have you closely inspected how it was installed? Is it possible it was built "around" original wainscoting and crown molding and the current molding was just attached to the top of the bookcase, with the entire thing just screwed onto studs? It looks more like it was "built onto" the wall rather than built in. Maybe removal would be easier than you think, with some original molding still there.

  • 7 years ago

    OOOooo, I can just see a marvelous original painting, a large one. Here I come galleries!

  • 7 years ago

    It looks Great! You can always add some cool decor in each of the cubbies! Good luck.

  • 7 years ago

    "I guess that could be a 3rd option: Leave the bottom cabinets and just remove the top cabinets? Then we wouldn't have to try to match the wainscoting or worry about the hardwood floors underneath."


    Nope. Nope. It's not central and it will drive you nuts. Take it out.

  • 7 years ago

    I'd remove it all now. I wouldn't worry too much about the wainscoting and trim.

  • 7 years ago

    I would find out what I truly desire. If the quality of the bookcase is still in great condition (which it looks like it is), I would keep it depending on if I need storage space. It looks great and it really gives you a chance to get creative with this room.

  • 7 years ago
    Another vote for removal- it’s just weird.
  • 7 years ago

    I have someone coming out this week to look at removing it. There definitely is not molding or wainscoting behind it

  • 7 years ago

    What does everyone think if we took the bookcases down, and put an entertainment console/tv on that wall? Does it bother anyone that the tv would be in the walking path of door to porch?

  • 7 years ago

    Where is the TV now? I suggested TV go there earlier with a beverage center in the smaller cabinet and I'd put big colorful art left of it. Looks like there may already be glass holders for wine glasses in that cabinet if those aren't LED lights. Hard to tell in the pix. Is this the only room for watching TV?

  • 7 years ago

    The tv is currently on the opposite wall from the bookcase.



    This is our main room and right next to the kitchen, so a tv has to stay in this room. Probably getting a 65 inch. Yes, the one cabinet has wine glass holders there, but I don't think I want that set up as a bar there. The shelves above it used to have wine holder racks too, but I took that out. Ss a bar in the family room normal?

    This room is visible and centered fro the front door/foyer. (We had the sofa facing the fireplace when this picture was taken)



  • 7 years ago
    Very odd piece especially the section that sticks out. Wish I knew the story, was it supposed to be a wet bar at some point? Don’t think it was intended to be a desk due to the cabinetry/wine glass holders. I’d probably want it out too. Maybe repurpose the cabinets if possible.
  • 7 years ago
    Another vote for removal.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oh gosh, beautiful room! For me, I couldn't disturb the symmetry of the whole thing and would have to have the tv (even with size restrictions) over the fireplace., even though I like asymmetry, also. Love the sofa facing the fireplace..

    I think this is one of those things that (as I said previously) you have to remove the bookcase and then decide where to put things...

    elaine86music thanked User
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I'd remove it and replace all the wainscoting & trim on that wall with the closest match I could find (if couldn't find exact match to patch the section).

    IMHO, it looks out of place, like leftovers someone felt they had to use.