Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

UPDATE on washer repair...

WELLLLL....It was a good update until the repairmain called back and said he found something else...

Sparky was right, it was the coupler thingy. But the repairman called back...something about the motor and something that is flat or squared on one side and rounded on the other side and mine is rounded all the way around...?? But says I'll need a new motor. He'll put the coupler on and I can use it for a little while, small loads but doesnt know how long it will last...he'll get me a price on a new motor then I can decide. Say's mine is the last of the good TL machines....worth fixing but it's up to me.

Comments (11)

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Could be the motor start switch (engages both the start and run windings on the motor at first, the drops-out the start winding when the motor is up to full speed), or the capacitor (provides an extra voltage "push" to get the motor going.

Neither is expensive, and shouldn't necessarily require replacement of the entire motor ... depends on which item and whether it's available separately.

You haven't cited the model number of the machine (unless I missed it in another thread) so I can't look up the parts diagrams to check any of the details.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

oh that's anothe issue....I dont know what the model number on the machine...repairman couldnt find it either...??? I'm supposed to look at my paperwork....yikes. He said it needs a new motor and he'll get me a price then I can decide it I want to put the money towards it...so it must be on the border of being pricey for a new motor.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is my washer panel....how do I find out the model number if even the repairman couldn't find it?? 800 series "heavy duty,king size capacity,quiet pak ll, 3 speed motor with 5 speed combinations, smart care adaptive temps" is what it reads at the bottom of the face panel.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

It's normally on a tag affixed to the rear of the loading port, under the back of the lid. Open the lid at an angle so you can see behind the back edge of it. The model number should begin with 110. The serial number is coded for the year and week of manufacture, if you can also find and cite it.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Dadoes, I'll try checking there. I know I had looked last time I had the repair people out, the lady needed the model or serial number and I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm thinking it came off but you'd think there'd be somewhere else on the machine with that info. ok, looking at the repair slip, this is what it says..."found motor coupler bad due to motor shaft rounded off".

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Hmmm. Motor couplers originally were all plastic and couldn't damage the motor shaft. A newer, more robust style was introduced some years ago that have a metal insert at the center. Those can be difficult to remove if they break and can damage the motor shaft. There's no way to fix a worn-down motor shaft, must replace the motor.

Has your coupler been previously replaced to your knowledge? If not, the machine may have been produced with the newer style.

A 3-speed motor is of course the most costly of 1-speed, 2-speed, or 3-speed but it's worth replacing the motor if the machine is otherwise in good condition. Maybe you could find a used motor on eBay if you'd be willing to risk that vs. the higher cost of new (although I'd be leery of receiving a shipped heavy item without damage).

See the difference in the couplers without and with the metal insert? Some service techs prefer to use the older style (if they're still available) to avoid potential damage to the motor shaft.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

He left the old couplers....I'm pretty sure it was all plastic, like the tops ones pictured. I've only had the washer worked on for the lid switch, so no the couplers have never been replaced.

ETA: checked out couplers when I got home from work, they are the bottom type with the metal center.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

The model number probably isn't needed to get a replacement motor. Motors of a given speed-count are largely the same on all direct-drive WP and KM direct-drive washers, with perhaps a bit of variation for wiring differences over the years. A competent/experienced servicer should know what's needed.

The machine apparently is running OK after the coupler was replaced (yes? no?) so I have to question whether the motor really needs replacement, or if your servicer is just trying to "upsell" the repair.

Looking up a typical 3-speed motor (P/N WP3352287) at some online sources, I find $234, $186, $196, $216, and numerous used and new offerings on eBay at a range of prices.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, the machine is working. I ran the first load last night. I'm thinking the same thing will happen to new coupler in time. He did say he didn't know how long it will last. I was thinking the same thing, that the repairman would/should be able to figure out what motor it needed...??? Take a picture of motor and compare...I don't know...???