Software
Houzz Logo Print
corrie_anderson

looking for some feedback on these floor plans

7 years ago
I’m wondering specifically about the front of the house windows and the layout - should the office have one large window versus two smaller ones and on the second floor should we eliminate the window in the bathroom

Comments (9)

  • 7 years ago
    You have mismatched architecture where your top floor bedroom side wall doesn’t match the lower floor office. As a result, your windows look off. Perhaps consider eliminating the side balcony (does it face your neighbours making it useless?) and the window with it, extending that bedroom to the full width, reorienting your room to have the bed lean to that side wall, and putting a large window in your facade, matched by a large window in the office below to give you a more coherent look. You can then eliminate the front bathroom window you’re concerned about.
  • 7 years ago
    I can’t imagine walking into the foyer and looking up the steps into the side of the kitchen, the work area between the island and the sink.
  • 7 years ago
    And any chance of repositioning those high shower windows on the facade? Perhaps to adjacent perpendicular walls. Or skylights? They currently look a bit cluttered. And someone always seems to leave a row of dodgy shampoo bottles on view.
  • 7 years ago
    You have no sleeping or bathing areas on the first floor. Can I assume you will never be having older people stay at your house?
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The entrance to the SW bedroom is super awkward.

    Is this your “forever home”? You’d be one health challenge away from having it be very impractical, impractical enough that you’d have to sell out. I recommend getting familiar with universal design principles and planning for full universal design on the first floor, including a bedroom that’s easy to move around in and an accessible bathroom. Maybe you could set the study up to be used as a bedroom if necessary and add a bathroom to it?

    Also, out of curiosity, how is it you can build in the setbacks? The guest suite is apart from the house, correct? The swimming pool is all in setback area? And at least one balcony overhangs the setback? I couldn’t do any of that in my area.

    Which direction is the best view in?

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I see many issues with this plan, I am not sure the guest suite it appears to have a spiral staircase which where I live is not allowed in a living space unless there is anothe normal staircase for access.IMO the windows are just a disjointed mess the garage doors add to the mess as does the front door. Transom window in the bathroom would at least have some connection to the ones in the middle I would do vertical windows in the bedroom to mimic the patio doors and then one larger horizontal window in the office then the front door works Ithink we need to have more info about where you are , size of family your plans for how long you are planning to be there.

  • 7 years ago
    I second that I take issues with other aspects of the plan however at this point it appears that our poster was asking about the facade and that we should leave the rest of it alone. One should hope they did not hire an architect for these plans and that the next recommendation from the Houzz community should be to hire an architect...and if there is one already there, to fire them immediately and find another one.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yikes.

    Drivers have to walk around the car(s) (unless you're in G.B., Aus., or Japan) to get to the only door into the house; they should be able to go right into the kitchen area. And that garage is awfully tight.

    Steps on the ground floor? Why isn't it all one level? You're losing potential buyers with that unnecessary 3-step jog.

    Everybody who enters the house has to walk right past the kitchen to get to the living room. Why? The kitchen is a work space and should not be exposed like that. Flip the two rooms.

    I would love to be there when the movers try to get anything into that front left bedroom entrance.

    The person who goes into the toilet closet in the master bath is going to have a hard time closing the door once they are in that tiny space.

    And I agree with an earlier post about the front façade. It's really hideous with the windows jammed as they are and not aligned.