0

Flooring help for bathroom/kitchen

Laura W

I have a full bath which needs a new vanity, toilet, mirror and light fixture. The other thing that needs to go is the ugly old linoleum floor. Should be easy enough to tile but here's the issue: the bathroom has the same floor as the adjoining hallway & kitchen. And this ugly linoleum abuts 5 floors that are all different! Ceramic wood tile in the mudroom (which I love), hardwood in the dining room, original (orange, ugh) hardwood in the living room, more hardwood in the tv room, and yet even more hardwood in the guest room. All the hardwood was either built or refinished at different times so there's no cohesion between them. It's a crazy amount of different floors! Because of that, I feel pretty strongly that the bathroom/hallway/kitchen should remain all the same floor like it is now, instead of adding yet another different floor into the mix. And if we're going to tackle the bathroom renovation, we should just do the whole entire floor as a first step (even though a full kitchen remodel is many years away). But I'm not sure which floor to choose that will look good abutting all these different tones/colors of wood. I think I should stay away from yet another different hardwood, but I feel completely stuck on color/tone/size/type/etc. (Refinishing all the hardwood to match, which is something I definitely want to do at some point, is out of the picture due to cost/logistics.) (I included pics of linoleum and 3 of the 5 floors that it abuts.)

• nancyinmich
    That old floor is not linoleum, it is vinyl. We tend to call both kinds of floor “linoleum,” but that name only really belongs to flooring made of cork, wood dust, linseed-oil (thus, Lin-oleum), and pigment. It is wonderful stuff and one of the swirly patterns would do the trick in tying in all of your flooring that abuts it. Trouble is, that it is expensive.

If you like the retro look of swirly linoleum, though, you can get it in some vinyls. Vinyl sheet flooring would work in a bath and a kitchen. Look at some more commercial types if you want to get away from the look of the “fake tile “ Congoleum patterns, though.
  • Laura W
    Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for the info and the comment!
  • mark_rachel

Save your money till you can replace everything with the same flooring. Maybe keep your mudroom flooring, but change everything else to the same material.

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

I agree with mark. Save your money until you can replace all the flooring at the same time with one (maybe two) materials.

• kariyava

I agree that saving and replacing all of the flooring at once is the best idea. In that case you could replace the bathroom vinyl when you redo it (with tile) and then replace the hallway/kitchen/living/dining flooring with the same wood later on.

If that isn't the route you want to take for whatever reason, then I think a large format tile would look nice. The color of the current flooring seems to go with the adjoining wood, so tile with a similar color would work. You could also look into tile with a light/med gray color, something that coordinates nicely with your counters and wall color.

• Laura W

Hmmm- yes that's an option, but I can't imagine the cost of installing all new hardwoods on the entire floor (and then of course having to tile the bathroom on top of that!). Especially since we need to do the bathroom- the vanity, mirror, toilet and light all need to go. Should I make those changes and leave the floor? Or just tile the bathroom and deal with the fact that there are a gazillion different floors going on??

• herbflavor

call a floor refinisher. Professional. get a quote for sanding it down and match the stain on all the floors. See what they say. It's a finesse as they are different species?? but a pro can do it , likely. they will let you know how many of the five they can coordinate. Otherwise....you have a guest room/living room and tv room...CARPET and a pad ….do consider...run it through for continuity, it will make the space feel bigger, and fairly easy on the budget. Your kitchen should have a presence and has a higher price tag when everything is cumulatively calculated....get the floor that works with your kitchen the best..and that you like. Consider carpet elsewhere to alleviate worry about what you want to do in kitchen.....And besides, you notice the different hardwoods as it is.....but a pro may be able to do something. You need to get a plan, and then plan B.

• nancyinmich

I think that you could do either. If you yearn for a nicer flooring in your updated bathroom and you can deal with having yet another flooring, then change out the bathroom floor with the update. Depending on your vanity choice you MAY have to do that if there is no flooring under the current vanity, anyways.

Then save for the whole-floor redo. You may be able to get away with a refinishing of the existing wood if it is the same species and you are happy to have that species in the rooms that now have vinyl, too. Strip the two wood floors, put in unfinished wood in the new areas, and have it all stained and finished in place. Even if there is a small difference in the appearance of the wood in the two older rooms, it is better than having all those different floors, and they will be a similar (if not same) color and finish.

• Helen

I don't think bathroom flooring needs to be the same as flooring in other areas as it is generally different in most homes. I have wood floors everywhere except the bathrooms.

If I were remodeling your bathroom, I would not worry about current flooring in the kitchen or hallway but just put in flooring that works with whatever you are doing in that bathroom.

You can then tie in the kitchen/hallway areas to the others areas of the house when you tackle those. I do agree that you could probably get a good refinisher to get a stain so that the different wood floors are less glaringly different or one area of different wood might be a relatively small area and you might be able to replace just that area with wood that matches the larger area - whichever is more cost effective and provides you with a reasonable aesthetic result.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)