Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grazianocarl

Help with new kitchen gray or white

Carl Grasiano
5 years ago

we moved into our house a few months ago, and while the kitchen was remodeled 4 years ago, they used diamond cabinets and they are already showing major wear and we are not thrilled about the 2 tone grey bottoms and off white uppers. We replaced the countertops with hanstone tranquility, and the super bright white just clashes further.

We had a contractor out, and he says we can order new diamond uppers from lowes and order new drawer/door fronts to match, but I am re thinking that as if we are doing this I want it done right. I would like to take the soffits out and go with 36" uppers and new base cabinets in all plywood, either kraftmaid or shuler. We are also replaced the hardwood floors throughout the entire house with new Armstrong 5" American scrape Nantucket gray floors.

We had shaker white cabinets from cliqstudios in our old house, and being we are using a contractor that is not really an option now so we are looking at kraftmaid and shuler as the two better brands.

Opinions on going either all white shaker or all gray shaker, would still have a farm sink and will like to extend the island so we can do a waterfall edge.

Comments (18)

• Carl Grasiano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This will be the new flooring color

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Strongly suggest you rethink the flooring. The faux wood next to real wood won't look good, and the grey is so cold and unnatural. Plus, that floor has a busy pattern that will compete with the other elements in the space.

• Carl Grasiano
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The flooring is my number one must remove for the house, it looks dated and seems every house built in early 2000 had it. It is 2 1/4 orange oak, the new floor is not faux wood it is 5" 3/4 solid maple. We want a modern design.
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

I get wanting new flooring. I'll just point out that while grey wood may seem modern now (actually, it was modern probably a year or two ago and now is drastically dropping in popularity) it will NOT age well. In just a few years it will scream dated not updated.

• Carl Grasiano
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What would you recommend over gray hardwood? Anything would be better than this orange oak, and we want to get it right as we are spending around 70k on this remodel. We love the gray and white clean look, on trim cabinets etc a d figured q grey undertone floor would look clean.
  • Fori
    5 years ago

See if you can refinish the existing floor in a shade you prefer. That oak floor has been in style for over 100 years--it doesn't scream dated. But the color can be altered quite a bit!

• beachem
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The kitchen looks perfectly fine to me. Changing the lights is an option. The floor doesn’t look bad and I hate orangey wood. You can refinish the floor to any shade.

• Carl Grasiano
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The floor is very orange in person. and it is throughout the entire house, the cabinets look ok from afar, but they are all bubbling and have gotten wet and the MDF has no hold up well. I would like to do it right one time.
    We just purchased this house after selling ours which was a total gut and remodel, with everything new and going to this house which is 15 years old it feels like we could change everything.

I would refinish the floors but I know we would not be happy with the narrow 2 1/4" boards.
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I would go with a light brown wood that has gray undertones if you want to incorporate gray.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

I recommend Shuler cabinets because, as I understand it, they are the same thing as Medallion cabinets which is what I have and love. The finish on Medallion painted cabinets is so much better than on Kraftmade, and they have nicer white options too IMO. I would definitely choose white.

With respect to your flooring, I get your dislike for orangy wood -- I don't like it either. But I think it would be a mistake to go with gray wood flooring. Naturally stained (i.e. brown) wood looks great with white/gray kitchens, and give them warmth, versatility, and staying power.

Pacific Heights · More Info

Highland Terrace · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• Storybook Home
    5 years ago
    I like grey wood. My own kitchen/house has creamy grey wood look tile throughout. I disagree about it being on the fast track to bring dated. Real weathered wood bleaches and becomes grey/white. HOWEVER. It’s not ‘modern’ IMO. It goes good with an old world distressed aged aesthetic because it mimics something aged. Coastal weathered beach house. French country old world. It’s falling out of favor as a trendy over used grey on grey ‘modern’ look. I think it’s a bit busy looking for your kitchen and would look into alternatives.
  • Carl Grasiano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is what the floor looks like on a larger scale, hand scraped brown with gray undertone, or we can go darker

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

The one you just posted would look MUCH better than the gray. I wouldn't go any darker than that though. I would actually look for something lighter.

• Carl Grasiano
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    mark, they actually are both the same floor, I think the lighting in the store made it look lighter, the sample in my home looks like the picture above, more brown than gray.
  • Carl Grasiano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here is the sample against our floor now

• M Miller
    5 years ago

“it looks dated and seems every house built in early 2000 had it.”

I have to tell you that gray-stained and gray-toned floors came roaring in about 2013 or so. It became popular and ubiquitous extremely quickly. Because of the speed at which it became popular, it has become dated just as quickly. We have already seen “gray-floor fatigue” on this forum for close to a year, with posts of “not another gray-stained floor!” Your sentence I quoted at the top of this post can also be just slightly altered to say “seems every house built since 2013 has gray-stained floors”.

Not much different is the waterfall edge. It has now become common in mid-level condo developments, installed by developers who want their units to seem higher-end than they are, and all they have to do is install a waterfall edge in the kitchen to do it. Waterfall edge counters fit best in kitchens that have contemporary cabinetry and aesthetic. The Shaker cabinets and farm sink you plan aren’t that, so it will be putting two different aesthetic approaches into one kitchen. I’d just install a regular counter in the kitchen you are planning, just my $.02.

• Shannon_WI
    5 years ago

I agree with the others that gray floors would not be right for your kitchen, even if just a gray undertone. I only half-way agree about not doing a waterfall counter. If it is a stone waterfall, then I agree it’s a passing fad and doesnt go with your other choices. However, what has been appearing in upper-end homes with $100k+ kitchens in the Chicago area (and these things can be regional) are wood waterfall counters and light wood Scandinavian-esque floors, whether maple or light white oak.