0
Find the right pro for your project

Western wintering Monarch population plummets.

Jay 6a Chicago
last modified: December 6, 2018

They counted the western wintering population of Monarchs and their numbers have plummeted by 86 percent. I believe this is due to the western milkweeds that grow all year round. Because they don't die back to the ground they build up huge ammounts of the OE pathogen. You western milkweed growers need to wake up and start cutting back your plants and sanitizing them to stop the spread of this disease. There might not be any wintering western Monarchs at all next year!
http://blogs.edf.org/growingreturns/2018/12/04/western-monarch-butterfly-population-decline/

Comment (1)

• perennialfan275

I don't know what this "OE" pathogen you speak of is, but that is very sad news indeed. I suspect herbicides also play a big role in their decline. These farmers are so concerned with killing the "weeds" in there fields and give zero consideration for the native/migrating species that may depend on those "weeds".