Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyperformancehorses

Winter Insanity

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I confess to having a sickness. I guess admitting that is the first step, although I have no idea toward what! First of all, although I still have miscellaneous, albeit somewhat sickly looking buds and blooms, I'm pining for a full garden of blooming roses. I'm walking through my garden feeling somewhat lost.

So, today I decided to start on a pre-hard-prune adventure. I started to semi-defoliate (not sure how long this will last - it's a LOT of roses, and they'll be cut to nubbins in mid-January anyway). I'm also cutting out the deadwood I've missed over the summer and fall, and grumbling as I find more areas where cane borers have invaded, seeing some roses that I think I'll just need to replace.

I'm thinking - heck, this is a LOT of work. I spent 2 hours this morning, and got through about 15% of my roses. So what do I do. I walk into my house, sit down with my computer, and order 3 more bareroot roses (added to the 4 already coming, and the 15 added over the summer).

It makes absolutely no sense. I think it's just winter (well, almost winter) crazies!

I've been drooling over Kristines pictures of Olivia Rose all season, some time back I fell in love with forum pics of The Ancient Mariner, and I've always wanted to experience the fragrance of Jude the Obscure. Not sure whether to say: WOO HOO, or OMG, but my one prior order from David Austin Roses so impressed me, I always intended to buy more from them, so - here goes!

How are you handling heading into winter?

Comments (33)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I thought you were hilarious Karen until I read kristine's response! What is it that leads us to buy more roses I just do not know. Since I realized I could plant all of my climbers that I've yet to build an arbor 4 in my front yard, and also realized how easy it would be to make a bed there, I've started looking to add even more roses. Then I recently had to see pictures of climbing Leonardo da Vinci and was reminded of Versigny's beauty.

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Karen, what did you order?

Maybe Olivia ?

I just ordered White Pet lol

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I've been wanting white pet myself. I don't know how it Compares with pink pet but that Rose is a winner!

5 years ago

That is good to hear Vap

I was thinking of the pink pet but got The Fawn instead. I needed something white and it looks like a shorty.

How tall is your pink pet ?

5 years ago

Mine is still short and the other two are still in pots. I like this Rose so much that I made multiple cuttings so I can have at least five of them to put in the front of a border. We have severe black spot and this Rose is Rock Solid. Plus, it's very pretty. I'll dig up some pictures. However, at the Columbus Park of Roses they have one that is huge! When I wrote this on HMF they didn't believe me! Next time I go I'm going to double-check the name but it did really look like pink pet and had that name on its label . However it was next to madame Anthony Waterer which is a huge Rose . I'm wondering if there's another version of it floating around as I've never read anyone else saying it can get so large. I am also considering the Fawn as it has just such lovely flowers and look so delicate but floriferous.

I have white mediland, but still want white pet.

• User
    5 years ago

I just put 4 Kordes roses in my basket... I'm panicking because of this Brexit business in case there's no deal and I cannot order any more from Europe... these are from Germany... so far I'm holding off completion but I can't hold on much longer..

..You think you got problems?...

...not to mention the new Austins in March... how am I supposed to ignore those?.. can't do it..

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area) thanked User
    5 years ago

I can't wait to see the new Austins. Why do they make us wait so long?

• User
    5 years ago

Kristine, I thought you could order yours now?... I won't know what mine are until then.. I don't think they know themselves either at this stage from what I gather...

5 years ago

Marlorena, independence is one thing, but roses are an entirely different ballgame. What are they thinking? Don't they know we need our roses? I would say at least you have all the lovel British breeders in addition to Austin,, but after reading you Beales' thread, I'm not so sure anymore. I would think this Brexit stuff would make the English rose Houses pause before discontinuing more roses.

• User
    5 years ago

I worry about Beales, they're downsizing so much … and they must do a fair trade with Europe too... and they've recently had E.U. funding given to them to improve their plant sales area, so I don't think they are too happy about Brexit...

I like to order roses from France and Germany... and so much of our garden centre plants come from Holland these days, not roses so much but everything else... I know they're really concerned about future trade arrangements...

I wonder if Karen has ordered anything yet...?..

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Of course I ordered Kristine and Marlorena!!! And I can point the finger at Kristine for tempting me with those luscious pictures of Olivia Rose to get her. Yup, ordered Olivia Rose, The Ancient Mariner, and Jude the Obscure from DA today. Then last week ordered Crazy Love, Dark Night, Alfred Sisley and Tahitian Sunset from Regan. Lets see, other fingers pointing at Ann from N CA for Tahitian Sunset, Bella Rose and Sara-Ann for Crazy Love, and Ms Marlorena here and for The Ancient Mariner. A nice blend of subtle pastels and bright colors!!!

5 years ago

Oohhhh, Karen, nice choices

Crazy Love looks very tempting as well as Tahitian Sunset and I would love a Jude and may actually have a spot for that one. Alfred Sisley is also on my dream list..

Im glad that you finally ordered Olivia. We can compare notes.

• User
    5 years ago

Delighted you're getting some nice roses Karen.... I don't know most of them but hope 'The A.M' does well for you too, as I'm sure it will.. it's supposed to grow quite large in your climate...

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Hi Karen - I sympathize with your winter blues! I'm arranging for some of my roses to go to new homes which allows me to plant the roses that are sitting in pots now. A rose society is taking at least five so it's got me excited because I was wondering where to re-home these roses. I'm glad you're getting Tahitian Sunset! I enabled BenT in Texas and he seems happy with it in his very hot climate.

Ann

2018 Tahitian Sunset

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area) thanked Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Ann, what a beautiful rose, so many colors.

Years ago when Harry and David owned Jackson and Perkins I bought what I thought was Tahitian sunset. Turns out that I bought sunset celebration which I ended up really really liking but left it at my old house now it's time to get the one that I had originally wanted , Tahitian sunset. What a glorious rose.

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Thanks Kristine! I hope you get it and enjoy it!

Ann

5 years ago

Thanks Ann, you enabler you

5 years ago

Ann, I love those collage! I need to learn how to do that.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Great thread, Karen! You all have chosen some gorgeous roses.

Kristine, I just know you’re going to love both ‘The Faun’ and ‘White Pet’! I sure do. I’m late for “coffee time”, but I’ll try to take a picture of my White Pet this afternoon. I noticed yesterday that it was beginning to bloom again. Lisa

Oh well, what’s a few more minutes? Lisa

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area) thanked Lisa Adams
  • Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

vaporvac - you can make collages by uploading your pics to Google Photos, make an album, check the photos you want in your collage up to nine, select collage and you're done!

Ann

5 years ago

Lisa, thank you for taking the time to take a picture of White Pet

I am so excited!

5 years ago

. Thank you Ann! I'll have to see if I can figure that out.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

Karen, I get that way, too. I chalk it up to shenpa. I'm not buying any new roses this year, but I'm still dreaming. I've still got more roses in pots than I have places for them in the garden. Something has got to go. Then what to do about all the cuttings that I've been growing, taken when I had ideas for changing the garden that may or may not ever happen? I'm not sure if I'm making progress since I've shifted from buying new roses to making cuttings, lol!

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area) thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

vaporvac - one more step is to select download back to your computer so you can post to the Rose Forum!

Ann

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

I have 2 Olivias and plan to get more.) They are one of my most reliable bloomers in my climate.

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

I love my Olivia so much. For me, it is perfection.

5 years ago

Thanks Ann. I'll try it with Google oh, but now I just tried it with my phone so let's see what happens there.

5 years ago

You did it. Good job !

5 years ago

Thanks all. that takes so much less time! and is easier for people to compare.

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann - thank you so much for the collage tutorial - i will DEFINITELY use this! And thank you for resharing your fabulous photos of Tahitian Sunset - I am so excited to have it on order. Noseometer - I've now bookmarked shenpa to read later!

Well - another update for me. I have been unable to find Red or Pink Intuition in the US. And of course, since I decided I absolutely must have at least of of them, that means I still had in my mind, another addition. I've finally gotten myself out of the search-loop by ordering Abracadabra and Code of Honor from For The Love Of Roses. And they're backordered, so perhaps it'll take a while to get them, leaving me with that anticipation of receipt, and no further need to order more. Right?

I'm now sitting on my hands (well, except for work as I type on a keyboard most of the day). No more ordering. NO MORE. DONE. (If I keep saying it I'll believe it, right?)

• User
    5 years ago

Oh wow, it's worked... thank you Ann, I've been following your instructions and it took me some time to figure it all out... I didn't even know I had a Google Photos account... let me see if this posts...

oh good... I don't know why I didn't pick 4 roses but never mind..

5 years ago

This is fun. I just used the collage that's on my phone.