Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Climber for part shade

Looking for the most shade tolerant climbing rose. Area gets a few hours of morning sun, then bright indirect light. I like large cupped blooms, fragrance would be a plus. House is reddish pinkish orange bricks, so thinking of light pinks, cream colored blooms. Started looking up Eden but getting mixed reviews especially for my area, Houston, tx.
Anything that has done well for you in similar conditions? Thanks!

Comments (27)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You have more choices being in a warmer area than I. Have you looked into any of the Hybrid Musks? Felicia and Cornelia are both beauties and would look pretty against your bircks as would Sally Holmes. Also, look at Mme. Alfred Carriere and Bubblebath. All are fragrant with the exception of Sally, although she stays forever looking fresh. Another favorite is Cl. Clotilde Soupert which can ball in the spring, but by putting her under the eaves with her roots beyond the roof line, she does well. I think it's the best way to plant her. I tend towards your preferred colours with that tone brick, but Ghislaine de Feligonde or Phyllis Bide might also look good, although I haven't found them to bloom as much. (In fact, in year one I saw "0" blooms). Could you possibly grow more than one?

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Maybe a Hybrid Musk. If planting site is not too dark for any rose to perform fully.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Embothrium
  • 7 years ago

    Yeah, I can plant more that one. I was only concerned about the sunlight and that was the limiting factor. I am thinking of putting them is large pots and see how they do before planting, would have to water them well in summer, but can do that.


    The brick color is pretty strong, most reds, oranges, dark pinks etc disappear.

  • 7 years ago

    The killer is reflected shade and angle of sun. You have stronger sun in Tx. than here in Ohio so that helps generally. After the sun passes do you have additional things shading the area? If not, I think you'll be fine. I had MAC in quite demanding conditions and she continued growing and blooming until the deer and rabbits go her. : (( I've tried doing that with pots, but they always languish until I can get them in the ground. I might also let them grow up a bit before exposing them to sub-optimal conditions. All those I mentioned are growing in front of a northern wall. Those I had that got morning only sun and pm shade from all angles languished with the exception of GDF. I'm cutting down the volunteer trees so I'll see what that does for things! ; ))

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    There is nothing additional like large trees, the area remains bright, not dark. I would like something that repeats, and not get too huge, maybe 10 to 15' would be good.


    Once I plant, I never end up moving them..

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Just to clarify, when I said letting them go up a bit before planting them out I meant in a pot. :-

    Although young plants, Mac, climbing CS, and sh are bloomers. I'll think about this further and review what I grow and see if I come up with something else. I have a lot of climbers and bought many of them for these situation. The only ones that didn't work out where the ones that had four areas of shade. The ones that are shaded from time to time but in a generally open exposure have done well.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I've not found the hybrid musks actually do as well in shade as some of the teas and chinas. I put ghislaine de feligonde, a rose I grew and loved up north, in dappled shade here in Houston about five years ago, and here I've maybe seen one or two tiny blooms over the whole five year period (its due for a move but I'm not sure where to put it). Right beside it, three years ago I planted G. Nabonnand (the logic was about thornlessness, and there was a bit more light there at the time) which is now, in December - in what is pretty much full shade at this point - sporting 8 or ten fabulously lush blooms, creamy with touches of apricot that seem themselves to cast light. It blooms, if not non stop, at least year round with surprising generosity through heat and drought,. Duchesse de Brabant also in quite a bit of shade is coming up to its winter flush; its a graceful plant, weeping habit, no foliage problems, blooms not non stop but spring and fall reliably. I thought of moving it to more sun, but really it seems pretty happy or at least kindly uncomplaining where it is. Mutabilis also bloomed in afternoon shade, and went on blooming after its primary cane was chewed more than half way through by some gnawing creature; I lost it in Harvey but it was pretty tough. I have a rustled probable Mrs BR Cant also blooming in shade nearby. Meanwhile in another location I have a nice trellis in a slighly problematic spot, faces due west and gets only afternoon sun. About 18 months ago I put francesca on it, after some research suggesting it might do with afternoon shade and I have not yet seen even one bloom. Thinking of replacing maybe with G Nabonnand or Mutabilis or maybe the yellow mutab. they offer at Rose Petals, those would be my suggestions for a shady trellis, here in Houston.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked starmade
  • 7 years ago

    Have you considered something yellow ? Teasing Georgia or Crown Princess Marguerite would certainly pop against your brick


    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Kristine, don't mind yellow on this side of the house. Does teasing Georgia or CPM do ok in partial shade?

  • 7 years ago

    I have TG in corner that needed a pop of color. It gets sun from about noon on


    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Austin’s 2018 Catalog recommends both Crown Princess Margareta & Teasing Georgia for shade (defined as “north facing or areas of partial shade receiving less than 3-4 hours sun per day”)

    Their other climbers listed for shady positions:

    Abraham Darby

    A Shropshire lad

    Benjamin Britten

    Constance spry

    crown princess Margaretta

    Gertrude Jekyll

    golden celebration

    lady of shalott

    malvern hills

    mortimer sackler

    st swithun

    the albrighton rambler

    the generous gardener

    the pilgrim

    wollerton old hall

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked littlesmokie
  • 7 years ago

    Interesting - they used to list James Galway first under shade category and not St. Swithun.

  • 7 years ago

    i ve heard golden celebration and lady of shallot do well in partial shade

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Oliver (SF 9A)
  • 7 years ago
    Lyda Rose is supposed to do very well in shade.
    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    I recommend Arcata Pink Globe. I've never grown it. But it look to fit what you are asking for...

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago
    I can attest to Wollerton Old Hall doing extremely well in a good amount of shade. Mine is nestled in such a spot that it likely only gets 3-4 hours/ day, and some branches even less. It was almost always in bloom for me, and no disease at all. Nestled against a chimney in the back of our house, wedged between our grill and our screened back porch. DA says only 8ft, unsure of your height requirements. However, 6a is different than Houston. The color isn’t very brilliant, more of a butter yellow, but it does look nice against my brick chimney. Here’s an indication of the spot for reference.
    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Rachel Ohio-Zone6B
  • 7 years ago

    Hybrid Misk seem to do well for me,

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Cathy Kaufell
  • 7 years ago

    I recommend ‘secret garden musk climber’ and ‘darlows enigma’. I have both planted against a N facing red brick wall that gets some full sun for a few hours in the summer and they have been healthy, quick to rebloom, heat tolerant and fragrant.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • 7 years ago

    I've got a lyda rose that I planted in shade and it never bloomed. I moved it to a sunnier area and it still has not bloomed though it is not dead yet. I bought a second plant and it died. My yard is kind of an earthkind test garden down here admittedly so everything alive now has done one summer with no supplemental water at all (three years ago I had to spend a whole summer with my memory challenged mother in Massachusetts shortly before we brought her down to live with us in Houston). I have never got a David Austin rose to grow here so far, all the ones I tried have died (I've not given up on them, just taking a rest). I also killed a small Darlow's enigma plant here, though in my Ontario garden it was very tough and big and sturdy and bloomed constantly even in relatively dry shade. Here the little roots got eaten by supergiant texas grubs. Perhaps if the plant was big enough it would take off. Among surviving climbers I do have a thriving fortuniana, another plant you can't kill; huge though; you have to stay on top of it to keep it from getting out of hand. Its a once bloomer in spring but blooms for a relatively long time and a keeper for me. Another climber not mentioned so far is Crepuscule. I managed to kill mine, but it lasted quite a long time and might perform ok if given better treatment, such as occasional water.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked starmade
  • 7 years ago

    I have three Leda bushes. Two are in shady spots (they both get afternoon sun) and one in all day sun.

    The Leda in all day sun is 2-3 times bigger than she ones in the shadier spots. But...the sunny Leda's flowers get washed out easily and only last a few days. The foliage is a lighter green and more stressed looking. This bush gets powdery mildew.

    The two shady Ledas have flowers that last for more than a week and have much deeper colors. The foliage is dark glossy green. They are definitely smaller than the sunnier one, but I'm fine with waiting for them to grow. I've never seen any disease on my shady Ledas.

    Leda isn't a climber...but since it was mentioned I wanted to share my experience.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • 7 years ago

    Awakening

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Can anyone tell me What is the fragrance of crown princess Margaretta like?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Does G. Nabonnand climb? I mean does it get tall and flexible canes?

  • 7 years ago

    I think you can persuade most things to climb in the right circumstances. Many robust roses like teas will reach for light in a slightly shady situation and get much longer canes than otherwise. I am trying to make a climber of maggie right now and I have thought of trying g nabonnand in the same situation. Left to its own devices g nabbonand is not too big, does not have canes over six or maybe seven feet, and is not all that limber but easy to work with because thornless. A well mannered plant.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked starmade
  • 7 years ago

    I would suggest one that I would LOVE to grow, but isn't supposed to bloom much in zone 10 Florida.... otherwise I WOULD have it myself..... Lavender Lassie,

    https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.3759

    I think it is beautiful and the scent is amazing....


    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sharon2079
  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, conditions in my area are pretty similar to FL, atleast though summer and I've heard the same about lavender lassie..