Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dollface889

Kitchen cabinet and backsplash help

dollface889
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,
Thinking of remodeling my family’s home kitchen and using this pic as inspiration. Keeping my granite countertops and floor. I want to install a new backsplash, paint the walls, and possibly paint the cabinets- either a white like the photo or keep the cabinets the current wood color. I do like the backsplash of the inspo pic and thinking of sand/tan to paint the kitchen walls. Any ideas on what you would do or suggest? Kind of stuck on which direction to go with. Mom really likes the wood because she thinks the white cabinets would be really hard to keep clean. Have you had any experience with white cabinetry? We like to cook a lot at home and worry about grease. Kitchen window faces north west. Open to your suggestions and ideas! :)

White cabinets
Wood current cabinets
Dark stain cabinets
Other color cabinets

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Your inspiration is of a cluttered kitchen with outdated white appliances?

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Appears that OP neglected to attach the inspiration photo. This is the existing kitchen.

• dollface889
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sorry. Yes, my second inspiration pic didn’t post. let me try again.

thanks aprilneverends!

yes. There’s the opposite side of the kitchen With the fridge and a smaller cabinet. I’ll post the other side when I get home. And yes. I would like to keep the white appliances to save one costs.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

we'll wait for the second pic))

I must say-I love your current situation much more, than backsplash on your inspiration pic.

If already to change backsplashes-I'd draw the lightest tone from the granite(close up of granite might be helpful to see), do smth like simple ceramics...

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Since this is your mom's kitchen and she likes the wood, I think the wood should stay. I also think she should pick out whatever else you decide to do in there too. The wood looks nice, and it is a lot less maintennce to keep up. The color on the walls, really needs to go. That is one of the worst colors of paint to go with the cabinets. Any paint with yellow tones with those oak color cabinets does not look good. Actually this kitchen looks like it is in decent shape. I dont mind the white appliances. It looks like a kitchen that someone actually uses, and it appears to be fairly spacious. I see baby bottles, and a small child and am betting that kitchen is used many times a day. The only real problem, I see is the wall color.

• dollface889
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all your helpful advice!! we decided to keep the wood cabinets and just stain them a little warmer/darker since they were so light. We picked out a nuetral color stone backsplash that hopefully ties into the granite. We did paint the walls a brownish grayish color, but it was before we picked out the backsplash. Not sure if the backsplash blends in too much with the wall color and gets washed out now. What do you guys think? Do you think another color may look better? Hoping to put under cabinet lighting after we finish up.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

you probably attached the pictures but they don't show..can you try again?

• dollface889
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks April! You’re right. Picture didn’t attach The first time. Here’s obe more try!

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

The picture appears to have the same yellow paint on it, not the gray paint. I think the backsplash will be fine, with the exception of the insert tiles. You do not need them. They look dated already before you even start. Just use the subway tile without them, however, since you already put the countertop backsplash on, you really dont need any tiles at all there. Tile backsplashs look better if there is no countertop backsplash already. I still like the original cabinets and they wont stain well, unless they are stripped of all traces of the existing finish. Stain needs to soak into the wood, and it cant do that, going over the existing finish. I would leave them, and pick a color for the walls, that will look good with them. Something in the lt blues, lt greens, lt aquas etc. No yellow toned paints. No muddy looking paints, just nice clear colors. Do you have a picture of the brownish gray paint?