0

Formal living room

Sofia Akhter
last modified: December 31, 2018

Looking to get sofa/chairs for my formal living room. Going for transitional/contemporary look.

Decided on these Items and have following qs.

1. Is the tufted sofa too traditional ?

2. Finding chairs was the hardest part as we don’t want too much contrast in color and at the same time don’t want monotonous look either. Is the chair going either the sofa?

Thanks

• tedbixby

Your time would be better spent looking for a rug rather than pillows. It's easier to figure out the pillows after the rug has been selected. Even when the rug ends up being a solid color. I'll do a sketch with the vase tomorrow.

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • tedbixby

Sofia- I have to ask why do you like that vase? I just got around to looking at it and before I put time into doing a new sketch for it, as lately Houzz isn't allowing me just to add to the sketch without it messing up, I want us to have a conversation about it.

• Sofia Akhter

U r right about rug and throw pillows. Thank you for the advice.

No particular reason for the vase. Just an idea that one side will be tripod lamp and other side a tall vase. Curious now why you are asking. Will that be an odd view??

• Molly

What about adding a bar cart instead of the vase? You don’t necessarily need to fill it with alcohol. I just grabbed this one as an example.

Metal Wooden 3-Tier Bar Cart, Dark and Natural Wood Finish · More Info

DC Design House 2015 · More Info

Belongil Salt - Byron Bay · More Info

Sofia Akhter thanked Molly
  • tedbixby

Sofia- Usually I will work with or come up with something similar but visually better if an OP (that would be you- original poster) is set on having something that isn't quite right in their space. After all, I'm only here to make recommendations and be a sounding board and I'm not going to live there. But regards to this vase, the placement of putting it next to the sofa is so wrong as is the color, that I think that it will be mistake to put it in that corner. That vase will be such a distraction from your painting especially if put fake flowers in it (which I think you mentioned earlier doing). Truthfully, it reminds me of visiting funeral homes in the 80's when they would have these tall fake arrangements scattered about where the sofa's were. You are too young to know all about that.. You have such a pretty house and this room is coming together so nicely that I urge you to reconsider placing it there. If you want a tall vase with flowers, let's find another spot for it where it will make more sense. If you feel you need to see it in a sketch to be convinced, let me know and I'l do it as I really want you to be comfortable with your decision and not base it on my pleading.

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

I never thought of this idea. The only issue is again my lack of vision to see what I can put on those shelves. That’s why I was going with vase. Thank you for suggesting this!!

• Sofia Akhter

tedbixby

I am so glad you pointed the vase issue. Unlike the painting, I am not set to having this vase :).. Especially if it’s taking the charm out of the room. I will scratch that idea. There r other places(corners) in my home that might be okay for this so let’s take or out of the equation for this living room.

I will be going to stores today to see some rugs as u suggested to decide first on. Other than solid gray color, if you would like me to look into something else, please advise that also.. Thank you

• Molly
    I always look at pictures of the pieces decorated to get ideas. Someone has already done the hard work. :)
  • tedbixby

What shelves? Did I miss something as I thought this was a floor vase?

You keep gravitating towards gray rugs so shop for that and if you come across something else that grabs your fancy bring it home and let's see how it looks. I played around with other rugs, colors and patterns, but nothing hit me, so I didn't mention them to you. The other thing I was going to suggest is going to an actual carpet store. They can take carpeting and bound it to make a rug. I was thinking of this as they will have a larger assortment of grey carpeting and if you want to do it with a same color pattern, like that photo I showed earlier in this post, you might have better luck there. So you might want to explore that. And check their remnant area, too. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

Shelving comment was a reply to Molly who was suggesting a bar cart instead of vase.. will update with rug if i find any.

• Sofia Akhter

tedbixby

Not sure if you would see this message soon but still asking jic. I know you asked me in the first few posts about rug size. I just measured it to get an idea. Just wanted to run it by you. I am going for the size where the front legs of the chair and sofa are on the carpet. Its coming around 8X7.

8’ from chair to chair and 7’ from sofa to the foyer side area. Am i doing the right way?

• tedbixby

I like the chair and sofa legs to be on the rug like you are thinking. If you have time, I'd either blue tape it out on the floor to see how it looks and feels. And being mindful of the traffic pattern from foyer to dining room, too. 8 x 7 isn't a popular size for a rug. A little more popular would be 8 x8 but still more difficult to find. 6 x 9 or 8 x 10 are more common. If you go with carpeting that you have made into a rug, then you probably will be able to go more custom size.

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

Thank you so much!!

• tedbixby

For fun I searched 7 x 9 and for no particular reason went to see what Macy's offered.

This will give you an idea of the sizes offered in the measurement range as you can see they aren't exact 7 x 9.

https://www.macys.com/shop/area-rugs/all-area-rugs/Color_normal,Rug_size/Gray,7x9?id=190877

• tedbixby

I'm kind of digging that one. I did a sketch with it and added navy velvet pillows to the sofa. I think it would be worth ordering if you like it in the sketch. Good find I believe.

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

Yes, I am ordering this one from Macy’s tonight. I was also playing around with other options on rugsusa and liked few which r totally different color scheme what we started with:). Putting it in my idea book so u can see.

• tedbixby

No rugs showing up in your Ideabook. No rush as I'm going out for awhile..

• tedbixby

Saw you 2 new rug additions. They would be fine if the painting wasn't in the mix as I think the colors in those 2 wouldn't work very well with it. That said, at least I know you are open to going into more pattern so we just have to find the right mix of color that compliments everything. So later today I'll do some more looking.

• groveraxle

Sofia, ted asked me to come Photoshop rugs in your room. I just barely skimmed the comments and got the impression that you had ordered that rug from Macy's, so that's what I put in. Also added the lamp you linked, thought don't know if you intended it for this room or the dining room.

Sofia Akhter thanked groveraxle
  • tedbixby

Thanks Grover. That is the lamp that she is considering for this room. Though seeing it now in the room I'm thinking a darker stain on the base would be better? Also, she is open to other rugs besides the Macy one so if you have any recommendations that would be great.

• Sofia Akhter thanked groveraxle
  • Sofia Akhter

groceraxle

Thank you for your time. Appreciate it. I am not sure if you checked my ideabook but the current arrangement is with the chairs facing each other vs side by side. But your last picture is looking quite good with the rug and 2 table lamps. In my ideabook, I also have a pic with the side that opens to the foyer. So was wondering how much can the area rug come out. Hope I am asking the right qs..

• groveraxle

Area rug size: front feet of all sofas and chairs on rugs and 12 - 18" of floor showing all around.

Sofia Akhter thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

The art is so busy, it's making the rug search a bit problematic.

• groveraxle

A plain rug with texture might be your best bet here:

• groveraxle

I have four more renderings for you, but Houzz doesn't seem to want to upload now. I'll try again later.

• tedbixby

The art is so busy, it's making the rug search a bit problematic. And Grover, now you know why I brought you into this thread-lol... Lots of rugs out there that work with just the sofa and chairs but the whole family loves this painting and that is what home is all about, right?

• Sofia Akhter thanked groveraxle
  • Sofia Akhter

Still waiting for the Macy’s rug to be delivered. Will post the pics with that. Thank you.

• tedbixby

Thanks for the up-date. Hopefully, it will be here soon.

• Sofia Akhter

Got the Macy’s rug and uploaded few pictures in Ideabook. I also added 2 side tables.

Regarding how we liked it, it’s okay for me not like a WOW factor. Both husband and I few it’s very thin and doesn’t give a very plush look.

• groveraxle

I assume this is it.

Living room · More Info

You need a rug pad.

Sofia Akhter thanked groveraxle
  • Sofia Akhter

Living room · More Info

Yeah of course. I am gonna get one. What do you think about the lamps?

• tedbixby

"Regarding how we liked it, it’s okay for me not like a WOW factor. Both husband and I few it’s very thin and doesn’t give a very plush look."

So you have two things that are an issue for you. You've been wanting to stay "neutral" both in color and pattern so it isn't going to give you that WOW factor. This rug is doing what you originally wanted- "neutral." Looking at some of the rugs that Grover photo shopped into your space that have more color and/or pattern, do you feel that maybe we need to explore color and pattern more now?

I understand what you are saying about "thin." Maybe a wool rug would give you more of the feel you want? And I think the lack of the "plush look" just is a combination of different things. I would say that as far as a "neutral" rug it isn't bad and I don't think you will find one that is much better. The only reason IMO to look for another neutral would be in the hopes of finding something that comes across more plush in feel if that is important to you. I don't know if budget is a concern but this could become a factor when shopping for this type of rug. But if you are looking for more WOW than we need to look more. But with the understanding that it could take some time since the painting is really driving it. Maybe we just need to take a couple of more days before you make any decision and see if we can come up with more rugs while keeping these thoughts while we look? If so, then what size of rug?

What lamps?

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I understand the neutral look part now. Yes, I am gonna wait couple of days and see if what we think.

Regardig lamps, groveraxle suggested in few photos to go with side lamps. I have the pics now with this rug and 2 side lamps in Ideabook. Let me add here as well.

• tedbixby

I tried to do a sketch with this but Houzz hasn't allowed me to do so today. I'm thinking it has more life to it than the Macy one and brings out the similar color in the painting, goes with the navy & beige (note the navy chair in the photo). The question is how it looks against your flooring stain. And ha-ha this blows out of the water my last comments about finding a "neutral" color, if this works. LOL. I

I found it here on pg 3. It's the camel color. https://safavieh.com/rugs/mirage?pg=1&count=40&sortby=0

Rug MIR523D - Mirage Area Rugs by Safavieh · More Info

Living room · More Info

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

Finally able to upload these with the side lamps!!!

With lamps

• Sofia Akhter

I love the rug u chose. let me look into it.

• tedbixby

Ha-ha... never fails I'll go on and on about something and then I find an item that is completely the opposite of what I said. Some times I feel that if I didn't go on and on, I wouldn't find something that could possibly be "it!"

Ok, I know my eye sight isn't the best but am I missing something here as I don't see any lamps. Just tables.

I haven't measured to see if this is the right size to put a lamp on but came across this today and thought of your space. It's more eclectic with your furniture but thought it was interesting.

Bertrand Contemporary Gray Wash Wood Accent Table · More Info

• Sofia Akhter

Oh my God!!! I just realized every time I meant to write “side tables”, Inam writing side lamps!!!

so sorry!! All this time I meant how does the side TABLE looks!! I apologize!

I looked into the camel rug i suggested and my husband and we r loving it but the price is like 850 for 8X10 and that’s the size I am leaning towards. The current Macy’s one is 6’7” X 7’8”

• tedbixby

Ha-ha..thanks for making me feel not so old-lol..

I'm not feeling those side tables in your room. I think they need to be a bit larger and maybe more heft to them. They aren't working with your coffee table. I don't want them to be matchy matchy with the coffee table but it could be a combination of the design and the finish of these side tables that makes them not work. I'd return as I think we can do better. What size are they so I have an idea what size I should look for.

As far as the rug, if you find it somewhere where it may be cheaper and they charge for returns, you could always order the smallest size just to see what the pattern and color looks like in your room and then return it as it won't cost as much a returning a 8 x 10 if you had to. Or you might find another spot to use the smaller size, too.

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

I got these side tables for my family room and was just trying them out. Will look for more styles for this room.

As for the rug, I found these 2 on rugsusa.com and priced it at Amazon. A little more pile height compared to what we have right now. Thinking to get it and try it out as return shipping is free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077GYQBQY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M3Y53OE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

• tedbixby

You won't believe this but your last comment from Sat just showed up in my notifications. Uggghhhhhh, Houzz. Did you order the 2 rugs?

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

I also saw your post just now when I came to post my new pics.

Yes, I didn’t order both rugs and decided to go with the one in picture. The other one had a cream background which looked a little dirty.

You might notice there are no side tables anymore as no one in the house liked those one for this specific room. I am gonna keep looking for a different design but as of now, I think I am all set for the rug :). FINALLY!!

• Sofia Akhter

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

• tedbixby

Wonderful that you found a rug that you like. And you did very well mixing patterns. The room is coming together very nicely and if you need a sounding board again, you know where I am. And when I'm "shopping" I'll keep you in mind. Enjoy your new room. And one other thing, you might look on Etsy for pillows if you don't find any locally. Ok- two things. If you got some decent furniture consignment shops you might give them a try for the side tables. Keep me posted.

Sofia Akhter thanked tedbixby
  • Sofia Akhter

Oh yes, the pillows!! That totally took a backseat while I was trying to find the right rug. Thank you again for all the help and advice. Will update i once I have it all complete.