Software
Houzz Logo Print
nemobaby

entryway table decor ...

7 years ago
Please help...looking for suggestions for entryway table ... wanting to have a lamp the size of that white one just not sure if that one is fitting , I feel like something is missing maybe?

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    The white lamp is too short - it needs to overlap the mirror much like your branches do so that the mirror appears to be part of the arrangement (rather than floating above).

  • 7 years ago
    Put a couple of books under the lamp to make it the right height. Add a colorful basket on the bottom shelf, and keep the top styled like your last pic.
  • 7 years ago
    I usually use the rule of 3 when decorating a table. I also agree with having something over lapping the mirror to bring it in. Also you may want to consider a larger mirror. The rule I use when hanging things is it should be hing half the height of what you are hanging above the top of the piece you are anchoring it to. Would you consider a mirror with a frame with natural material like wood? I have found mixing textures to be most visually appealing.
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks, I do like the mirror and it’s not an option to return it so I will have to work with it, maybe I should try lowering it, also I have the wooden bowl there for out keys etc....maybe I just need to find a lamp that will look better, maybe the white one is just too plain...and I don’t have to have frames there so didn’t know what else to put there and I guess just thought it makes it more homey having frames there...if anyone has actual items that would go there would love to see! Thanks!
  • 7 years ago
    I would think about how you typically use the space. It sounds like you would put your keys there. Do you rest mail there or anything else? I personally like to use wax led candles on a timer in areas like that so that they can have something warm greet me. Another way to add warmth is a plant succulent or dried twigs. Also you could add seasonal items like right now I have some pine cones out but I typically put them away in the summer. I unfortunately don’t have any table like that right now because I have a crazy 18 month old who climbs and destroys anything like that lol. The closest thing I have is part of my Christmas display. But it’s a totally different space than yours.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    For one, the mirror is actually much too high. You might want to bring it down halfway. The lamp will most likely be the perfect height once you put the mirror at the correct height.

    Moon Drive Residence · More Info


    Etobicoke Residence · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    I'd put two BIG woven baskets underneath, Maybe some mason jars filled with shells and a few wood candle sticks on top, then art work on the wall...no mirror.

  • 7 years ago

    It’s easy to tell you what you need to buy but most of us try to use what we have and make it as inviting as possible. If that’s your situation try adding to the height of your existing lamp by sitting it atop some books, move your glass jar/greenery to the opposite end and sit the pretty wooden bowl beside it. Fill the bowl with pine cones, acorns or natural potpourri If you have some small decorative plates or a long rectangular piece of art or farmhouse sign hang it below the mirror to mask the mirror being too high. If you have a woven basket put it on the lower shelf and fill with a blanket, pieces of wood or magazines. Hope this helps

  • 7 years ago

    I have to disagree with the comment above criticizing use of family photos in decorating. My opinion is that it is perfectly fine to display photos that mean something to you whether in public or private spaces. It's your home, why not tell YOUR story? Oh, and Architectural Digest seems to think it's okay...https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gallery/how-to-display-family-photos

  • 7 years ago

    I had the exact same thought about the photos comment. My home is MY home. It doesn't get more 'personal' than that!

  • 7 years ago
    I do agree about the photos, if you shouldn’t have photos in any entry way, I feel they make it more homey and don’t see anything wrong with that, as far as the mirror I can lower it no problem, my husband is tall which is prolly why I hung it higher, and I am looking for 2 matching baskets to go underneath to fill it out more
  • 7 years ago

    On photos: If you have a painting of yourself , all dressed up...a work of art....hang it...but just ONE. Or put them in your bedroom...or a crafts room.....somewhere private. If you really have to LOOK AT YOURSELF put a large mirror in every room. At least the view in the mirror will change....depending on who's standing in front of it....lol

  • 7 years ago

    Looks like you have a window on the right and the wall ends pretty near the table on the left, judging by the shadows cast on the floor. If so, then your table may be long enough (75% of the wall's width, max.) The mirror should be lowered, but only enough so that the tallest person in your household can still see themselves in it without ducking down. Lamp top should arrive at 58-62" above the floor, or half way to 2/3 up on the mirror, and overlap the mirror a bit. The purpose of foyer decor is to introduce you, your style and to hint at what one may expect to find in the adjoining rooms. That should guide your decisions on what you put there. You have the light and reflection part, as well as the practical/useful part. Now for the decor. I'd do a small plant or fresh flowers on the top and stacked books, or large baskets (perhaps with throws tucked inside,) on the bottom.