0

Suggestions for a Gesneriad for cool sunroom

bill_ri_z6b

I have an unheated sun room where night temperatures are generally in the 50's, Occasionally, during a very cold spell, it might go to upper 40's but that's rare. Daytime will range from 50's to around 72 depending on how sunny it is. As for sun, anything from full sun most of the day to bright, but not direct light, are all available. I used to have a Sinningia (Florist Gloxinia) red with white edge. Loved that plant, but lost it when I got sick. Trying to find one since. I don't know if it would thrive in the temps of my sun room. Any lighting need I can give it because there are areas of that room that get full, partial or indirect in varying amounts. But suggestions for any Gesneriad that can handle those temps and thrive would be considered. Thanks.

• dbarron

Petrocosmea and ramonda come to mind. Some (at least) of the Chirita/Primulina have done well for me in colder rooms. Heck, my streps are probably living that life too and actually do better for me than in the warmer months.

Sinningia would survive best as a dormant bulb at that temperatures (ie summer growing and winter dormant).

When Irina stumbles across the thread, she'll probably have more ideas.

In my mind the petrocosmea are absolutely adorable darlings, the chiritas have lovely foliage (as well as flowers occassionally), I assume you know streptocarpus already (for their colorful flowers and easy flowering).

• irina_co

Yup - Petrocosmea, Primulina, alpine gesneriads - and think about Columneas - a lot of Columneas come from high elevations montane forest conditions...There are 3 Saintpaulias that come from high elevation - S.goetziana, S. teitensis - and one more - do not remember which one - but can look it up.

• irina_co

I got an AV Magazine - and half of the articles is written by Gesneriad Society crowd - authors actually belong to both Societies, Please read an article by Karin Cichoki from NJ. She is an excellent grower and she grows some incredible cool climate gessies in her uheated basement.

Actually - AVM has a new editor, it is redesigned - and it has a lot of useful info.

• dbarron

So Bill, what are you going to accquire?