Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robert567

Favorite Giant Sunflower

robert567
5 years ago

You can find many different "giant" Sunflowers, and often questionable claims, and some dubious names. So any favorites beyond the common "Mammoth" types? Which are the most predictable? Or is the variability in results just part of the fun?

There are hybrid F1, such as 'American Giant'

'Sunzilla' hybrid I think is a fun name

'Kong' is a multi-headed hybrid that is supposed to grow a huge branched plant

'Titan' is supposed to be a line bred giant? Not a hybrid?

'Mongolian Giant' with very large seeds. Burpee seems to sell something similar called 'Pikes Peak'? Hybrids?

'Transylvanian Giant' is a fun name and story. https://uprisingorganics.com/flowers/sunflower/transylvanian-giant.html

'Tarahumara' seems quite attractive old strain with white seeds and gets pretty big.

'Arikara' seems like another large attractive old strain.

Comments (5)

• zen_man
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

When Burpee introduced Pike's Peak sunflowers as having the largest seeds for snacking (claimed up to 1½ inches long) I was excited to order them, for the extra long seeds. Burpee still offers Pike's Peak, with apparently the same original claims. I wasn't too concerned about the claimed height of 12 to 15 feet, because I could use a step ladder to harvest them, or use pole pruner that I have to simply snip the heads off and let them fall to the ground when I needed to harvest them.

I assumed that the "up to 1½ inches long" claim implied variability, and my strategy was going to be to save the longest seeds, hopefully 1½ inches long or longer, and plant them to develop my own strain of super-long seeded snack sunflowers. I planted a double row of them the full width of my North Garden at the northern edge of the garden, to keep them from shading my other garden plants.

They grew 8 to 10 feet tall, significantly less than the claimed height of 12 to 15 feet, but I had planted them fairly close together, and only lightly fertilized and watered them, so that was "forgivable". They were, for the most part, single-stalk, although a few of them developed a side branch "sucker".

The big disappointment was their seeds were uniformly 1 inch long, with no significant variability. So my plans to select for super length seeds were thwarted. The birds loved them, though, and they were eventually the basis for a big compost pile. I am toying with the idea of growing some of the extra-tall sunflowers this Summer.

Happy New Year !!!

ZM

• robert567
    Original Author
    5 years ago

'Hopi Black Dye' sounds cool.

Wish I had more sunny space to plant a bunch of different types to see the differences. Was thinking just to see how big I can get, but now want to avoid "pollen free" types and make sure they could at least provide food for wildlife. Now to find a way for the seedlings to not get killed the first48 hours.

Planning maybe 'Tarahumara' for a white seeded, 'Hopi Black Dye' for a black seeded, and one monster type.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

I have 75 feet I want to "screen" with sunflowers. They will get plenty of water, but I know they won't get as much sun as they like. It will be filtered sun. I plan to grow a variety of sunflowers: American Giant, Mammoth, Gray-Striped, Red Velvet and Autumn Beauty. I have always wanted to grow white ones and I had 3 come up and bloom one year. The birds LOVED it and I didn't get to save one seed! I laid the head on the picnic table to dry out and in one afternoon all the seeds were gone--picked clean. Hindsight, right? I've never had that happen before or since.

• Mokinu
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've grown Titan. I liked it. The plants get tall and it gets big heads with reasonably sized seeds. It's an heirloom (or, at least Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds sells it, and I don't think they like to sell hybrids). I tried White-seeded Giant, too, but it didn't have giant heads (although it was tall and sprouted easily); the seeds were not big. Mongolian Giant didn't sprout for me. Mammoth Gray Striped is great, and I like it most in most regards, except it falls over too easily. So, maybe start it in a cup and transplant it deep if that's your concern, too. Titan has attractive seeds, but they're a bit shorter than Mammoth Gray striped. Mongolian Giant has long seeds, but they're thin.

if you just want something super tall, try Skyscraper, maybe. I haven't grown it, as I'm into head-size and seed-size more than plant height. In fact, dwarf sunflowers with giant heads and large seeds would be great, IMO.

• Mokinu
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If Houzz is seeming to hide parts of our posts, just select the invisible text, and you'll see what it says.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH