0
littlehelen_gw

BOM January 2019

littlehelen_gw
last modified: January 1, 2019

Happy New Year! This is the start of 2019 Block of the Month! The objective is for us to share our favorite block and provide a link in case others would like to try it! There’s no “rules” per se, just each month (from those who volunteered), a quilter will showcase her favorite block. If you would like to make the block, we would love to see it, so please post a pic! (you can read more about our BOM, just search on Houzz).

So without ado, I’m sharing one of my go to block and a favorite since 2012, it’s Another Star, from Faith Jones at Fresh Lemons quilt. I’ve made this star many times and I’m always pleased. Hope you do too....Enjoy!

Here’s another I made in 2018:

You’ll notice in the first Another Star, that I fussy cut the center instead of a plain white square. I’ve done other things with the block by using HST for the four corners...it probably has another name with the HST.

Enjoy

• nannykins

Didn't get to the block today. Because of tooth pain, I am not sleeping. I did go down thinking I would start but I was so woozy, that I said "put down the blade and step away from the table". Had a nap instead. Have an appt. tomorrow.

Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Oh Theresa, I'm sorry. Those tooth aches can put a body right under the bed. Glad you stepped away from the table and napped instead. Good girl.

My block is done. Different colors than I thought I would use but I'm ok with it. Star points are yellow, center block are pansies of purple/lavender and yellow surrounded by white strips and the background is lavender. I don't have a phone that posts pictures so therefore, the description. :-)

• littlehelen_gw

Sounds pretty Sharon! Hope you can find a way to post it at some point.

Theresa...Ouch...hope all goes ok at your appointment today.

• msmeow

Bev, you're not from the south, are you? :)

Theresa, I hope the toothache is better soon!

Sharon, your block sounds beautiful. I have a quilt on my sofa now that has two different pansy prints and two shades of lavender & green.

Donna

• nannykins

Abcessed tooth, some drilling today and packing. Root canal and crown next week. Meanwhile pain meds and antibiotics. Oucheeee! Dentist chairs should have leg straps because my leg went flying up a couple of times when he hit a tender spot. Nearly beaned him. Don't know if it is safe to pick up my rotary cutter.

Theresa

• msmeow

Oh, Theresa, I'm sorry! I'd stay away from the rotary cutter for the day. Maybe read a good book and take a nap. :)

Donna

• nannykins

Sounds good Donna, and you don't even have to twist my arm.

Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Oh Theresa, I'm so sorry. With all that pain, take whatever you have to lessen it and take lots of naps. I know about the leg flying up. My surgery thought he had given me enough numbing stuff for an office procedure When he started cutting.....my leg flew up, too.

Donna, I think those are the colors that this years BOM will end up being. I figure if I can rein in the colors, a sampler of blocks should look ok. Plus, I've been wanting something in purples. :-)

• Larri

So sorry about your sore mouth, Theresa. Hoping the meds have kicked in and you are feeling better today.

Sharon, your block of purples and yellows sounds very pretty. Looking forward to seeing a photo of it.

Bev, I pretty much type how I talk, and forget my everyday vernacular isn't everyday for others. Good thing we have the Google when we have questions. ;)

I've opted to use some of the Asian-inspired fat quarters in my stash for this BOM. They are deep greens and golds with some pops of red and black. Son#1 returns to school today, so I should be able to cut out the pieces for stitching tomorrow. Happy Friday, y'all!

• Char

What a lovely block. I think I may join in on the BOM. I love star patterns and I do have loads of fabrics in my stash to use up!

Theresa, I hope that dentist of yours can fix you up quickly. Just take your meds and rest and get better!

• vasutx (storiedquilts.com)

I made two blocks this morning.

The blocks went together quite fast. The cutting is a bit tricky - lots of 1/8” measurements. You need to check twice or thrice and cut once.

Im thinking of doing the BOM in solids with some white in each block - as background or focus.

Thanks for an awesome block, Val.

Vasu.

• nannykins

Lovely blocks, Vasu. Thanks for the cutting warning.

I have not been able to get at it yet. The pain meds and antibiotics have wiped me out. I have been in bed sleeping for the past three days and still don't feel ready to pick up the cutter. But I am getting antsy.

Theresa

• Char

Vasu, I really like your blocks! They remind me of nautical flags with the primary colors.

• lindaoh_gw

I love this block! I haven't decided whether I am going to do the BOM but this is very tempting.

• Larri

Your blocks are wonderful, Vasu! I've got mine cut out & hope to assemble this afternoon. Fingers crossed mine turns out half as lovely as yours.

• littlehelen_gw

Vasu...they look great! I’m always hesitant (my own insecurity) to go all solid, but love ’em when I see em! Maybe this will the year :/) !

• Larri

Well, I finished my block with only a few snags. Though the piecing went together pretty well, I should've used better contrasting fabrics, as well as given more thought to pattern direction. Sew and learn, right? :) I'll give it another go and hopefully use up some of my stash in the process. Thanks for the great block, Val!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Larri, I like how this looks! It blends like a watercolor quilt block

• nannykins

Attempt number two. The first one was done at midnight two nights ago. It did not measure up in any way. But I blame that on my fevered state. I had been sleeping for three days, waking up only long enough to walk downstairs and then back up., and back to bed.

This one took two days, cutting, then bed, a few hours later sewing some parts, then bed.

So this morning, I actually got up and dressed, first time since Friday. And while a load of sheets and pjs were being done, I managed this.

Still not perfect, it measured out at 12 1/4". Obviously, seam allowance too wide. Will try again but I do like what it looks like.

Theresa

• vasutx (storiedquilts.com)

Theresa,

So glad you are up and about. If you made a quilt block, you are officially on the road to recovery. Your block looks good - love the center paisley fabric.

• nannykins

While the dryer was running, I did another. Still not perfect.

And as soon as the bed is made, I am crawling back in.

Theresa

• loisflan

Theresa, I really like your blocks, especially the first one. I like the alternating points on the star. Glad you're feeling somewhat better.

• msmeow

Theresa, I'm glad you are feeling somewhat better! I see from your second star what a sweet baby quilt this block would make.

Donna

• Larri

Thank you, Sharon! I'm going to do a very small sash of red around it, and then quilt & bind in black. I've decided it will be perfect for the coffee station, as it will hide most spills. :)

Theresa, hope today is even better than yesterday. You are an inspiration of quilty goodness stitching up those pretty blocks while under the weather with your sore tooth.

• nannykins

A ' regular' toothache isn't usually so bad but because I did not see a dentist or get meds for over a week because of all the holidays, the infection really had a chance to take hold. I feel like a baby whining about it so much. Even today, a week after meds, the whole jaw is still quite sore but certainly more tolerable.

Maybe I will sandwich a quilt.

And I thank all of you for your kind thoughts and good wishes.

Theresa

• littlehelen_gw

All of the “another star” blocks looks nice and I’m thrilled that those who made one, like it. I’m looking forward to seeing others favorite blocks. I think I will delve into all solids...this is not firm, just thinking on it!

• nannykins

Pretty, Sharon. Love your pansy fabric .

Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thank you, Theresa.

• bev2009

I haven't made mine yet, but over the weekend I measured the group of fabrics I am planning on using all year for the BOM. No worries, there is enough fabric to piece a queen size. I pulled some solids from the stash in case I want to incorporate them, too. This weekend I plan on putting one together. Everyone's blocks are so pretty. I love seeing all the different combinations and how much it changes the block.

• littlehelen_gw

Very nice Sharon!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thank you, Val.

• bev2009

Here's mine. I enjoyed making the block. I had to concentrate a little more than I do for all my scrappy quilts, but that's good for the brain, right?

• nannykins

Love your colours, Bev.

Theresa

• Larri

Sharon & Bev, your blocks are fantastic!

• bev2009

Here's my second one.

• nannykins

Another winner!

Theresa

• Char

All of your blocks look so nice! I had a little trouble with some of the piecing, but I like the block pattern very much, just not sure I like my fabric choices. I May rummage through my stash again and pick different fabrics.

• nannykins

Ooh! I like these colours! Well done.

Theresa

• bev2009

VERY pretty colors, Char. I don't see any problem areas, your points look perfect.

• littlehelen_gw

Char, I really like your color choices for this block, looks great!

• Char
    TY all so much. I haven't had any more time to think on it. My little dog, Maya, has fallen ill. Took her to vet for nausea, vomiting, pain in abdomen. Treating with several meds, she's resting comfortably for now. I'm praying for improvement.
  • Larri

I really like your color choices, too, Char. Very nice!

Sorry to hear your little Maya is ill. Hope she is better today.

• Char

TY for you kind words. Maybe I will stick with these fabrics after all :-]

My Maya is a bit better, still don't know what was wrong, I just hope it was a one time illness.

• littlehelen_gw

Oh Char...so sorry your little Maya is ill; ,hopefull she’ll make a quick recovery!

• Char

Maya seems to be fully recovered now. I'm still not sure what was wrong with her, A doggy flu maybe. I am anxious to see the design for the February BOM. Hope everyone is staying warm. It's frigid even here in S. Illinois.

• Larri

Glad your little Maya is better!

• msmeow

I'm a little late getting started, but here is my Another Star. I plan to make a quilt for Project Linus with my BOM blocks.

Donna

• nannykins

Very, very nice, Donna.

Theresa

• Char

I really like the purple fabric in your block Donna. Nice Job and better late than never!