Your shopping cart is empty.
Find the right pro for your project

growing roses in the north

HU-645310904
January 11, 2019

I am looking for help in choosing good re blooming roses for zone 4

Comments (4)
  • FrozeBudd_z4

'Campfire' for one is a must, a healthy and hardy rose continuously in bloom!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

There are a lot of rose threads in this forum. :) If you search for them, you'll find many ideas!

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)

Some helpful things to ask yourself when choosing a rose - how much room do you have, do you need something compact or is a taller/wider rose ok? Do you mind cutting some dead canes back in the spring or no? Is fragrance a high priority, or are you ok with a rose which looks great from a distance but has little fragrance? What bloom shape do you prefer, are you ok with a traditional ruffled look, or do you want a rose which has more modern hybrid-tea like look? Does the colour of the bloom matter, do you have a colour you prefer?

Some of my favourites are ’Prairie Joy’, ‘Winnipeg Parks’, ‘Therese Bugnet’ and ‘Snow Pavement’ - but they all have their different characteristics.

’Campfire‘ is a really great rose, it’s one of the slightly newer Canadian roses. For me it’s been very hardy, disease resistant, and floriferous - gorgeous lush, long lasting continuous blooms in fuschia pink, yellow and cream - all on one bush!

The only slight things I don’t like about is the fragrance is faint and the bush is a little short for me, maybe it’ll do better now I’ve moved it to a better spot. It will probably grow much taller for you in zone 4. This thread and it’s comments describe some great first hand experience with Campfire: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1879504/campfire-rose#n=124

• Embothrium

Canadian 4 or USDA 4? Does your climate region have a rose society somewhere within it? Here in the States these compile and put up lists of member favorites, that are useful for showing what has been found to perform well.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).