0
Find the right pro for your project

growing roses in the north

HU-645310904

I am looking for help in choosing good re blooming roses for zone 4

• FrozeBudd_z4

'Campfire' for one is a must, a healthy and hardy rose continuously in bloom!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

There are a lot of rose threads in this forum. :) If you search for them, you'll find many ideas!

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)

Some helpful things to ask yourself when choosing a rose - how much room do you have, do you need something compact or is a taller/wider rose ok? Do you mind cutting some dead canes back in the spring or no? Is fragrance a high priority, or are you ok with a rose which looks great from a distance but has little fragrance? What bloom shape do you prefer, are you ok with a traditional ruffled look, or do you want a rose which has more modern hybrid-tea like look? Does the colour of the bloom matter, do you have a colour you prefer?

Some of my favourites are ’Prairie Joy’, ‘Winnipeg Parks’, ‘Therese Bugnet’ and ‘Snow Pavement’ - but they all have their different characteristics.

’Campfire‘ is a really great rose, it’s one of the slightly newer Canadian roses. For me it’s been very hardy, disease resistant, and floriferous - gorgeous lush, long lasting continuous blooms in fuschia pink, yellow and cream - all on one bush!

The only slight things I don’t like about is the fragrance is faint and the bush is a little short for me, maybe it’ll do better now I’ve moved it to a better spot. It will probably grow much taller for you in zone 4. This thread and it’s comments describe some great first hand experience with Campfire: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1879504/campfire-rose#n=124

• Embothrium

Canadian 4 or USDA 4? Does your climate region have a rose society somewhere within it? Here in the States these compile and put up lists of member favorites, that are useful for showing what has been found to perform well.